NYC Cop Shoves Bicyclist off Bike During Critical Mass Ride

Settle down pantywaste nobody accused you of anything. Saying things or having an attitude is not a crime. 5-0 isn't endowed by the government for the lecture circuit. Write a ticket, file charges or shut the fuck up. This idea that an attitude problem gives the govt the right to do ANYTHING, especially anything physical is what I was addressing.

Pardon me, I don't quite like getting attitude from the likes of you based on something I didn't say.

I still believe that complaint is by the officer. Certainly the resisting arrest charge is derived from the officer.

Am I missing it? I could be...

I'm gald your catching this. You can derive just as much nonsense from the reports we're reading in the media as you can from that video. The facts provided are so vague that you can't possibly pass judgement on either person.

I'm gald your catching this. You can derive just as much nonsense from the reports we're reading in the media as you can from that video. The facts provided are so vague that you can't possibly pass judgement on either person.

But apparently one fact that isn't vague is that the officer lied on his report. Regardless of anything else, he likely will and should be disciplined accordingly. But I still say the odds favor this being provoked in some way.

Does meandering in and out of traffic on a bike require being cross checked NHL-style off of that quickly moving bicycle?

How about perhaps a couple cops chasing the guy down on their OWN bicycles, and pulling him over? You know, typical policy if it were happening in an automobile?

All I think would matter would be whether or not this guy was already confronted in some way by police earlier on, and told to pull the bike over, and by the point of the tackle he was being pursued by police for non-compliance.

You just don't use that kind of tactic otherwise.

Pardon me, I don't quite like getting attitude from the likes of you based on something I didn't say.

And pardon me as well for not being more clear on the perspective of my post. I try not to be a hyper-emotional basket case, but I'm failing today. This subject really gets under my skin.

And pardon me as well for not being more clear on the perspective of my post. I try not to be a hyper-emotional basket case, but I'm failing today. This subject really gets under my skin.

I see that, and in the event that this cop was unprovoked, I agree with you. However, I'm not going to sit here, pass judgement, and hang someone old west style until I know all of the facts. That's all I'm saying. I made the statement that you can't condemn this guy before knowing all of the facts. (you know...innocent until proven guilty?). You seem to think it's ok to condemn someone before all the facts are presented--

But apparently one fact that isn't vague is that the officer lied on his report. Regardless of anything else, he likely will and should be disciplined accordingly. But I still say the odds favor this being provoked in some way.

I agree. I'm not claiming this guy is innocent or that he did nothing wrong. I'm just saying that it's not right to convict someone before they're convicted. Unless it's OJ Simpson of course. If he did lie on the report, he should be punished for it. If he is found guilty of assualting this guy, he should be punished for it.

I love how the authoritarians on the board look for any excuse to defend power over the rights of a citizen, way too funny. And did everyone on this board grow up on a farm, the police always charge you with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, it just common practice, especially when they have nothing else to go on and they all lie to protect each other. Again I have seen this firsthand coming from a large family of boys who were not all saints. Internal affairs will be right on it - lol.

I see that, and in the event that this cop was unprovoked, I agree with you. However, I'm not going to sit here, pass judgement, and hang someone old west style until I know all of the facts. That's all I'm saying. I made the statement that you can't condemn this guy before knowing all of the facts. (you know...innocent until proven guilty?). You seem to think it's ok to condemn someone before all the facts are presented--

Hey now, I certainly never advocated anything Old West style. The officer, just like anyone else, certainly deserves due process. Whats concerning is that so often that due process coddles those who have abused positions of power. Its the most glaring example, in my opinion, of the good old boy network.

We've been conditioned to defer to authority. When authority is abused it should be dealt with very harshly. I think it should not be crimes against police officers that carry extra penalty, but police officers abusing their authority that brings extra penalty.

That is in no way advocating crimes against officers of the law.

As a matter of fact it is QUITE important as it provides the context of why the cop might have knocked the guy off the bike.
Again if all I show you is a video of a guy punching another guy, nothing before or after, you can not know why the punch was thrown.
If I show you a Video of some guy running up and tackling some guy walking down the street, you can not know from the video that he just attacked 5 kids now can you? Since it is not on the tape?

and, with the posted videos you could say the same about why THAt officer as he decided to harass the fuck out of people. How do WE know that someone didn't chloroform him and fuck him in the ass before the footage? It's not like the biker was anywhere NEAR the cop until impact. Bikers were swerving to avoid the cop, just like the victim here, and we can see the cop moving directly to intercept the biker. I mean, sure, we can ASSUME that the biker was acting like he had a gun at 100 yards away off camera but that doesn't invalidate a rookie cop acting like a pro wrestler nor does it alleviate the responsibility of a shitty cop acting badly.

so, again, take a gander at the TWO videos of the SAME cop fucking with people and tell me what YOU think was off camera that caused his reaction.

I don't think this cop should have grabbed this kid around the neck. For that I think the cop should be punished. The kid did not show any physical threat to the cop. Personally, I think the cop did this kid a favor. He obviously needed to learn when to shut his mouth and quit talking back. His parents should have done a better job of knowing his place and showing some respect. The kid had attitude and continued to run his mouth.

Also, it's obvious that this cop had already told these boys to quit riding and he continued to do so. And also, the video is mostly on the cop. For all we know, the kid could have been flipping him off, and doing the Triple H to him.
I think this cop used excessive force (physically)--not verbally.

come on, dude.. be consistant. How do you know these kids didn't jack off in this cops coffee in order to illicit such a reaction? And, your opinion about some "favor" is noted and dismissed. Just like this cop was.

note the next video I posted OF THE SAME COP.

He doesn't know shit. He's basing his entire opinion on his previous bias opinion and a short video on youtube. He does not have the criminal report filed on the cyclist prior to this incident...nor does he have the radio transmissions from the police dept. that told the officer to detain this cyclist. This cyclist knew what he was doing. As he was scuffling with the cops he yelled, "You are pawns in the game. I'm gonna have your job." Sounds like an unsuspecting victim doesn't it...:cuckoo:

He's a Critical Masshole - they live for this stuff. It looks to me like the cop just lost his temper with all other Massholes wandering about all over the street and the cops not being able to do anything about them. If something had happened out of camera view and the cop was going to arrest the Masshole then bodychecking him wasn't the way to do it. Even the kindest interpretation would suggest unreasonable force was being used in an arrest.

Should the video include the entire mile the guy rode to get to that point? Cops are not without the ability to fuck up. Ignoring when they do brings us right back around to Rodney King.

[youtube]l3Mts9gMGKo[/youtube]

Don't get me started on the King incident. Those cops were railroaded by the feds. But this bloke in the video is a fucking idiot.

I don't think this cop should have grabbed this kid around the neck. For that I think the cop should be punished. The kid did not show any physical threat to the cop. Personally, I think the cop did this kid a favor. He obviously needed to learn when to shut his mouth and quit talking back. His parents should have done a better job of knowing his place and showing some respect. The kid had attitude and continued to run his mouth.

Also, it's obvious that this cop had already told these boys to quit riding and he continued to do so. And also, the video is mostly on the cop. For all we know, the kid could have been flipping him off, and doing the Triple H to him.
I think this cop used excessive force (physically)--not verbally.

In my force this is what would have happened:

1. Internal investigation
2. Charged with assault - go to court
3. Charged with breach of discipline - go to hearing.
4. Hearing suspended while 2. is on foot
5. Probably convicted of assault and dealt with by the court.
6. Breach of discipline matter fails due to cop being sacked.

Especially since the video proves the officer lied in his report:

NYPD Bruise - July 29, 2008

Clearly the bicyclist did not ride his bike towards the officer. This guy's gonna be flipping burgers pretty soon.

Double stuffed in that case. It's like I tell probationers - everyone who has a mobile phone probably has a still and video camera in it. It's easy for anyone to get footage of errant police behaviour. Best way to avoid being on YouTube is to watch your mouth and keep your temper.

Jeez I'm glad they didn't have those things when I was a young cop :badgrin:

Forum List

Back