NY/Fed gov't going after Jeter 3,000 ball catching fan for TAXES on his free tickets!

To anybody making this into a partisan issue and doesn't think Republicans would do this, answer me these two questions:

-who was president when Barry Bonds broke the home run record?

-was that person going to have to pay income tax if they chose to keep the ball

But you guys are spot on other than those two tiny details!:clap2::clap2::clap2:

What a bunch of partisan hacks. (for the record I think taxing this guy is a bunch of bullshit).

Funny how lefty looters aren't all up in arms about this particular example of unvarnished greed and using the little guy as a door mat.

And why exactly should anybody be up in arms about it? The kid is an idiot. He wasn't forced to accept the gifts. Homeboy coulda done what any rational person would have done and that's sell the damn ball and this wouldn't be a problem.
They were gifts...Not sought after income.

The guy commits one of these selfless acts that all you liberoidals seem to hold as a higher value than going for the filthy dirty profit, and still you're not satisfied to let someone get even the most token reward for it, without getting your shakedown.

Fucking pathetic.

:lol:

Settle down, Beavis, the only one having any kind of an "oidal" is you.

It wasn't selfless act, he accepted a bunch of shit from the Yankees and the taxes on it are a reality.

He's coming out so far ahead on the other side of this that I can't believe you are having hissy over it.

Check it out:

So the grand total (so far) of everything with a cash value: between $161,749.92 and $177,049.92 (with the taxes covered, if he takes Miller up on their offer), depending on the location of his seats. And that number could go higher if the Yankees reach the playoffs (meaning more free tickets), or if the Modell's donation ends up being higher than $25,000. Being a nice guy can really pay off, it seems.

Itemized list of everything a selfless act gets you here.

Last edited:
And why exactly should anybody be up in arms about it? The kid is an idiot. He wasn't forced to accept the gifts. Homeboy coulda done what any rational person would have done and that's sell the damn ball and this wouldn't be a problem.

The guy commits one of these selfless acts that all you liberoidals seem to hold as a higher value than going for the filthy dirty profit, and still you're not satisfied to let someone get even the most token reward for it, without getting your shakedown.

Fucking pathetic.

It wasn't selfless act, he accepted a bunch of shit from the Yankees and the taxes on it are a reality.

He's coming out so far ahead on the other side of this that I can't believe you are having hissy over it.

Check it out:

So the grand total (so far) of everything with a cash value: between $161,749.92 and $177,049.92 (with the taxes covered, if he takes Miller up on their offer), depending on the location of his seats. And that number could go higher if the Yankees reach the playoffs (meaning more free tickets), or if the Modell's donation ends up being higher than $25,000. Being a nice guy can really pay off, it seems.

I thought he gave the ball back and then, they showered him with gifts:eusa_eh:

Fucking pathetic.

Check it out:

Yeah ... and?

It would be nice for just once in awhile,a pound of flesh is not required.

New York state is just what the old Great full Dead song says,It has the ways and means,but just won't let you be.

Check it out:

Yeah ... and?

well, you said it wasn't a "selfless act", I am sure he expected at least a handshake and an autograph aside from that?

Yeah ... and?

well, you said it wasn't a "selfless act", I am sure he expected at least a handshake and an autograph aside from that?

I can understand your point that initially it was a selfless, nice-guy, thing to do. However, once he accepts a slew of gifts worth tens of thousands of dollars, whether he asked for them or not the selfless shine loses it's luster on me.

humm so if someone says he could have gotten say 250K for the ball at an auction yet he gave it up for lesser value does he get the lower valuation as a basis for the tax? did the irs calculate what the box, jersey and signed ball cost? and split the difference, and the memorabilia market is fickle.

what if jeter gets involved in some unsavory Rose like issue ? the value of the ball would certainly drop, so until the sale is made, how can they have a cost basis?

it seems to me the only taxable items are the signed ball, the box and jersey. and the jersey again has a floating value, as does the ball, the box has a set price, so I see that.......some quick googling shows that In NY the gift tax kicks in on the giver at 12k a year, ONLY if the giver has provided over a million in gifts over a lifetime.

so what framework are they using to tax this kid?

One could make a valid argument that the Yankees are responsible for paying federal gift taxes on the value of the tickets. I'm not familiar with the NY gift tax regs...but I doubt the Yankees have given a lot of gifts.

Nobody here is blaming it on any president.

The IRS and state taxing agencies are shameless blood-sucking lampreys, no matter which party is in charge.

Some in this thread are blaming this act on liberals, or liberalism as a whole. And my point was that's just not accurate. It happens no matter what party is in charge, because as you said (and I agree with you) the IRS and state taxing agencies are like sharks who smell blood.

Forum List

Back