Nurse arrested for following hospital policy

Montrovant

Fuzzy bears!
May 4, 2009
A Picturesque Apocalypse
A nurse in Utah was arrested because she would not take blood from an unconscious patient. Apparently the hospital policy only allows drawing of blood from unconscious patients if they have given consent, if the police have a warrant, or if the patient is under arrest. The body cam video of the incident seems to show the officer involved arresting the woman out of anger and frustration, rather than because she had violated any law.

The nurse was not charged. The officer was taken off of blood draw duty. Based just on the video (and obviously, there may be important information we don't get from this video) I would think the officer needs some sort of discipline. It appears to me to be an abuse of authority.

Nurse arrested for refusing to draw blood from unconscious patient

I watched the video and read a few articles about this incident. If she sues, girlfriend is about to get paid. The police officer acted foolishly and unprofessionally.

the law in UTAH is screwed up------if the attending Doc thinks there is a need to check blood chemistries-----
then the blood should be drawn

the law in UTAH is screwed up------if the attending Doc thinks there is a need to check blood chemistries-----

I am guessing it is a question of privacy. The hospital may draw blood for medical purposes, but will not release any blood to law enforcement without meeting one of their criteria.

I watched the video and read a few articles about this incident. If she sues, girlfriend is about to get paid. The police officer acted foolishly and unprofessionally.

I have no idea how large a settlement could be involved, but the officer clearly appears to be in the wrong.

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk

I am guessing it is a question of privacy. The hospital may draw blood for medical purposes, but will not release any blood to law enforcement without meeting one of their criteria.

quite a GUESS--------I have no idea-------what the law in UTAH is---------I spent decades in
emergency rooms in a civilized part of the USA. OF COURSE COPS ARE NOT ENTITLED
TO THE LAB RESULTS without a court order. If the issue was some sort of accident or----
crime-------THE CORONER gets the results --------and the prosecutor with a court order. Cops do
not issue orders in hospitals

I have no idea how large a settlement could be involved, but the officer clearly appears to be in the wrong.
The nurse met with the top guys and all the officers are getting training...

thanks Moonie--------the only person in the world liable to a RECTAL THERMOMETER ----
without consent-------IS YOU. You have relinquished your rights to your anal aperture

thanks Moonie--------the only person in the world liable to a RECTAL THERMOMETER ----
without consent-------IS YOU. You have relinquished your rights to your anal aperture
Good thing they use a new thermal scanners...

Hey, we have lots of Darkies Behaving Badly topics on this forum. So let's have a Cops Behaving Badly topic and use it to say all cops are crazy. Why not?

A man was involved in a motor vehicle accident. He was taken to a hospital and was unconscious.

A police detective wanted a blood sample from the victim to see if he was intoxicated.

One of three conditions must be met to draw blood from a suspected DUI driver.

1) The cop must have a warrant.

2) The suspect must give his consent.

3) The suspect must be under arrest.

Any one of these three things would allow blood to be drawn.

None of these three conditions were met.

The cop ordered the head nurse on the unit to draw the unconscious man's blood. She rightly refused.

The cop insisted. The head nurse asked him several times if the suspect was under arrest. The cop answered in the negative.

She called her supervisor on the phone. The supervisor informed the cop he was make a big mistake.

At this point, the crazed cop totally loses it and roughs up the nurse and arrests her.

Bye bye, cop!

‘This is crazy,’ sobs Utah hospital nurse as cop roughs her up, arrests her for doing her job

If a bunch of citizens see a woman's rights being violated, are they allowed to beat the shit out of the assailants? Are they allowed to draw their weapons on the assailants?

I'm curious as to what would happen to people if they took those cops down and did a citizens arrest.

I think it is just a matter of time before something like that happens.

Agreed, that guy should be gone.

Police must police their own better.
Now that we have cell phone and body cams everywhere, we are finding out all the abuses people were talking about all these years that were denied by the cops were actually happening.

Good thing they use a new thermal scanners...

lucky you---------ok------I should have cited colonoscopy

Agreed, that guy should be gone.

Police must police their own better.
Now that we have cell phone and body cams everywhere, we are finding out all the abuses people were talking about all these years that were denied by the cops were actually happening.

Agreed, but I would still say 95% of cops are good people and try to do the job as it is supposed to be done! Problem is those same good cops turn a blind eye to those that are not on the up and up. So maybe that makes them bad to, don't know but it is a bad situation.

I was about to post this thread; but see it's already posted. Watch between 5 and 9 minutes.

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Forum List

Back