NRA sues Seattle over recently passed 'safe storage' gun law

Negligence
No, law abiding gun owners are being penalized because of the negligence of others. The fact that there is a gun involved is just an aside since stupid people do stupid things all of the time. So far this summer there have been reported over several dozen case of people forgetting their kids in their vehicles during high temperatures and those kids losing their lives as a result. The suggested "trick" to help them remember not to do this - put their cell phone in the back seat so that they'll be forced to look in the back seat before leaving their car.

They can remember to look for their phone but not to check that they haven't forgotten their kid?

As far as I am concerned, if a person doesn't inadvertently leave their weapon in a public place, they lock their doors & windows, arm any security system they may have, etc. the weapons are secured however if someone makes it past all of that and breaks in, that's not negligence, that's being victimized by a criminal. This new Seattle law makes no distinction between the two and the U.S. Supreme Court has already decided in Heller than requiring a weapon to be kept in a state that renders it useless for defense (requiring it to be locked up) is unconstitutional

District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008),[1] is a landmark case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home, and that Washington, D.C.'s handgun ban and requirement that lawfully-owned rifles and shotguns be kept "unloaded and disassembled or bound by a trigger lock" violated this guarantee.​
Wrong.

This is an incorrect reading of Heller, you clearly don't understand the ruling.

Indeed, the Supreme Court has never ruled on the constitutionality of gun storage laws. In 2015 the Court refused to hear a gun storage requirement case from California.

Gun storage laws are currently Constitutional until the Supreme Court rules otherwise.

Hate to bust your bubble but Heller V DC dealt with Hanguns in the Home and the right to have them. And to have them operational on hand if you want to. I just got through hammering the law into the gun crazies so don't think I won't hammer away at you as well. I don't side with either side. I side with the law.

Negligence
No, law abiding gun owners are being penalized because of the negligence of others. The fact that there is a gun involved is just an aside since stupid people do stupid things all of the time. So far this summer there have been reported over several dozen case of people forgetting their kids in their vehicles during high temperatures and those kids losing their lives as a result. The suggested "trick" to help them remember not to do this - put their cell phone in the back seat so that they'll be forced to look in the back seat before leaving their car.

They can remember to look for their phone but not to check that they haven't forgotten their kid?

As far as I am concerned, if a person doesn't inadvertently leave their weapon in a public place, they lock their doors & windows, arm any security system they may have, etc. the weapons are secured however if someone makes it past all of that and breaks in, that's not negligence, that's being victimized by a criminal. This new Seattle law makes no distinction between the two and the U.S. Supreme Court has already decided in Heller than requiring a weapon to be kept in a state that renders it useless for defense (requiring it to be locked up) is unconstitutional

District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008),[1] is a landmark case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home, and that Washington, D.C.'s handgun ban and requirement that lawfully-owned rifles and shotguns be kept "unloaded and disassembled or bound by a trigger lock" violated this guarantee.​
Wrong.

This is an incorrect reading of Heller, you clearly don't understand the ruling.

Indeed, the Supreme Court has never ruled on the constitutionality of gun storage laws. In 2015 the Court refused to hear a gun storage requirement case from California.

Gun storage laws are currently Constitutional until the Supreme Court rules otherwise.

Hate to bust your bubble but Heller V DC dealt with Hanguns in the Home and the right to have them. And to have them operational on hand if you want to. I just got through hammering the law into the gun crazies so don't think I won't hammer away at you as well. I don't side with either side. I side with the law.
In order to side with the law, you need to understand the law – and clearly you’re not understanding the law.

The Heller Court said nothing about laws that require operational firearms to be secured; if it did then the lower courts would have struck down San Francisco’s secure storage requirement ordinance in 2015 pursuant to Heller; the lower courts instead upheld such laws as Constitutional because Heller didn’t determine those measures to be un-Constitutional.

If the Heller Court had ruled that measures requiring operational firearms to be secured were un-Constitutional then there would be no need for the Supreme Court to refuse to hear a challenge to the appellate court’s ruling holding the ordinance to be Constitutional when the Supreme Court earlier ruled it to be un-Constitutional.

Perhaps the link below where the Supreme Court refused to hear a challenge to the appellate court’s ruling in 2015 will help you and others to understand:

‘The U.S. Supreme Court rejected efforts by gun owners and the National Rifle Association on Monday to halt San Francisco’s enforcement of a 2007 ordinance requiring residents to keep handguns locked when stored at home.
[…]
Under the San Francisco ordinance, handgun owners can keep their weapons at home but must keep them locked in safes or disabled by trigger locks when not using them.

Gun advocates argued that the law interferes with the right of self-defense that was constitutionally protected by the Supreme Court’s 2008 ruling. But a three-judge panel of the appeals court in March refused to halt enforcement of the ordinance, saying it does not interfere with the right of self-defense or seriously hamper a gun owner’s ability to use a weapon.

Because trigger locks and modern gun safes can be opened quickly, a stored or locked handgun “may be readily accessed in case of an emergency,” Judge Sandra Ikuta said in the appeals court’s ruling. “Provided San Franciscans comply with the storage requirement, they are free to use handguns to defend their home while carrying them on their persons.”’

https://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/High-court-lets-stand-S-F-s-gun-control-law-6313731.php

And since 2015 the Court has not ruled on the Constitutionality of laws requiring firearms to be secured.

So, no ‘bursting’ of ‘bubbles.’

As predicted here

BELLEVUE, Wash. -- The Second Amendment Foundation and NRA have filed a lawsuit against the City of Seattle over the city's recently passed "safe storage" gun requirement, claiming it violates the state's preemption statute.

The suit also names Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan, the Seattle Police Department and Chief Carmen Best. Durkan reacted to the suit Friday, “While they go to court – kids go to the hospital. We can’t prevent every gun death or injury, we can take steps to help prevent tragedies. I am grateful that legal experts who share our commitment to reducing gun violence are standing with us and standing up for safer communities.”

"We will prevail and will continue to push for more protection for our children," Durkan added.

SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan Gottlieb expressed frustration that Seattle is once again trying to pass its own gun laws.

“Seattle seems to think it should be treated differently than any other local government when it comes to firearm regulation,” Gottlieb said. "We should not have to repeatedly remind Seattle that they are still part of Washington state and must obey the law.”

Joining SAF and the NRA in the lawsuit are two Seattle residents who both own guns.

It won't hold up even if the State were to try and adopt it. Heller V DC already settled that.
And you’re still not understanding the issue.

The lawsuit concerns the preemption of state law by local jurisdictions, not the constitutionality of laws requiring the safe storage of operational firearms – Heller has no bearing on the case; and even if it did, it would not be precedent to invalidate the Seattle ordinance.

Below is a link to the suit; nowhere in the complaint will you find a reference to ‘Heller’ or to the ‘Second Amendment’ save that of the SAF.

https://www.thestranger.com/images/...11248-2018-07-20_complaint_re_gun_storage.pdf

If the ordinance is invalidated, it will be because it violates Washington’s preemption law, not the Second Amendment, having nothing to do with Heller.

medicine/mouthwash/cleaning supplies must have child resistant packaging
you must get a doctor's ok to get some medicine
The complete list of substances requiring C-R packaging can be found in 16 CFR §1700.14. Specific examples of products available OTC and requiring C-R packaging include:
  • acetaminophen
  • aspirin
  • diphenhydramine
  • ibuprofen
  • iron-containing drugs and dietary supplements
  • imidazolines
  • methyl salicylate
  • mouthwash
  • naproxen
  • OTC switch drugs
Child-Resistant Packaging

...it's only logical and sensical to require child resistant/etc for firearms --that are directly designed to kill
..the NY prisoners that escaped got their weapon from an unoccupied dwelling
...Shooting of Kathryn Steinle - Wikipedia
etc etc
many guns stolen from cars
.....I had one accident in about 4 years....the guy I ran into said he had a pistol stolen from his car.....chances of that happening??

We were all taught gun safety by our parents. We were not stupid. And guns weren't kept where little children could get them.

If someone breaks into your house in the middle of the night, you might want a gun readily available. I know liberals want them unloaded and locked up, meaning they would be useless for self defense.

Our parents raised us with no child safety caps on meds and much less warning labels on everything. Somehow, common sense and caring about children were enough.

Now, it seems like the idiots who trust government and are products of our liberal schools can't seem to function without guidance from government.

I hate child-proof caps. I don't have little children around anymore. When I did, meds were kept in a high cupboard with a child lock.

Of course, these days, we have young liberal adults who are eating Tide Pods and snorting condoms. You can't fix stupid no matter how many safety measures you have.

Are the criminals and gangs going to abide by Seattle's safety measures? Yea, didn't think so.

We have a right to own a gun. And most legal gun owners are responsible enough to handle them. We don't need liberals. They don't care about safety, they care about disarming us. Right now, they are going to make as many bullshit laws as they can to make it difficult to defend ourselves.

Do the wealthy Dems have to keep their guns locked up, too, or do they get exempted like always?

As predicted here

BELLEVUE, Wash. -- The Second Amendment Foundation and NRA have filed a lawsuit against the City of Seattle over the city's recently passed "safe storage" gun requirement, claiming it violates the state's preemption statute.

The suit also names Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan, the Seattle Police Department and Chief Carmen Best. Durkan reacted to the suit Friday, “While they go to court – kids go to the hospital. We can’t prevent every gun death or injury, we can take steps to help prevent tragedies. I am grateful that legal experts who share our commitment to reducing gun violence are standing with us and standing up for safer communities.”

"We will prevail and will continue to push for more protection for our children," Durkan added.

SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan Gottlieb expressed frustration that Seattle is once again trying to pass its own gun laws.

“Seattle seems to think it should be treated differently than any other local government when it comes to firearm regulation,” Gottlieb said. "We should not have to repeatedly remind Seattle that they are still part of Washington state and must obey the law.”

Joining SAF and the NRA in the lawsuit are two Seattle residents who both own guns.

Which part of the law do you find unconstitutional?

The law will pass

I'm not following you. The Heller decision states inter alia

that Washington, D.C.'s handgun ban and requirement that lawfully-owned rifles and shotguns be kept "unloaded and disassembled or bound by a trigger lock" violated this guarantee [of the 2nd Amendment's right to keep & bear arms]​

Notice that the terms "unloaded and disassembled" and "bound by a trigger lock" are joined by an "or" meaning that either or both constitute a violation of the protections of the second amendment. Since the Seattle law is entitled the "Safe Storage" gun law then why would you believe the "trigger lock" portion of the Heller ruling would not pertain to the city's requirement that all weapons are secured by locking them up?

A trigger lock is a two-piece lock that fits over a gun’s trigger and trigger guard to prevent a gun from being fired. They’re available in versions with keys or combinations.​

A trigger lock effectively "locks" the weapon "up" and prevents it from being fired I'm sure it can be thwarted with enough time and patience, neither of which most victims of break-ins have in abundence.

In order to side with the law, you need to understand the law – and clearly you’re not understanding the law.

The Heller Court said nothing about laws that require operational firearms to be secured; if it did then the lower courts would have struck down San Francisco’s secure storage requirement ordinance in 2015 pursuant to Heller; the lower courts instead upheld such laws as Constitutional because Heller didn’t determine those measures to be un-Constitutional.

If the Heller Court had ruled that measures requiring operational firearms to be secured were un-Constitutional then there would be no need for the Supreme Court to refuse to hear a challenge to the appellate court’s ruling holding the ordinance to be Constitutional when the Supreme Court earlier ruled it to be un-Constitutional.

Perhaps the link below where the Supreme Court refused to hear a challenge to the appellate court’s ruling in 2015 will help you and others to understand:

‘The U.S. Supreme Court rejected efforts by gun owners and the National Rifle Association on Monday to halt San Francisco’s enforcement of a 2007 ordinance requiring residents to keep handguns locked when stored at home.
[…]
Under the San Francisco ordinance, handgun owners can keep their weapons at home but must keep them locked in safes or disabled by trigger locks when not using them.

Gun advocates argued that the law interferes with the right of self-defense that was constitutionally protected by the Supreme Court’s 2008 ruling. But a three-judge panel of the appeals court in March refused to halt enforcement of the ordinance, saying it does not interfere with the right of self-defense or seriously hamper a gun owner’s ability to use a weapon.

Because trigger locks and modern gun safes can be opened quickly, a stored or locked handgun “may be readily accessed in case of an emergency,” Judge Sandra Ikuta said in the appeals court’s ruling. “Provided San Franciscans comply with the storage requirement, they are free to use handguns to defend their home while carrying them on their persons.”’

https://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/High-court-lets-stand-S-F-s-gun-control-law-6313731.php

And since 2015 the Court has not ruled on the Constitutionality of laws requiring firearms to be secured.

I'm not an attorney so I have to research some of what I post in order to get clarification, nonetheless these are things that I know or have found out
  1. The Supreme Court's refusal to hear a case is not the same thing as them hearing the case and upholding the lower court's decision
  2. Just because SCOTUS declines to hear a case does not mean that they agree with the lower court's decision. In this case that would be the one you cited regarding the state of California's Safe Storage law
  3. Only certain types of cases are heard by SCOTUS
    It is important to note up front that not just any case can be heard by the U.S. Supreme Court. A case must involve an issue of federal law or otherwise fall within the jurisdiction of federal courts. A case that involves only an issue of state law or parties within a state will likely stay within the state court system where that state's supreme court would be the last step.
    How Does the U.S. Supreme Court Decide Whether to Hear a Case? - FindLaw
  4. California has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country and San Francisco as are most of the large metropolitan areas there are very anti-2nd amendment and big on gun control. California does things it's own way so them ignoring what the Heller case has ruled is not the least bit suprising, at least not to me.
  5. Lastly the 9th Circuit is reportedly the most overruled circuit of all - they apparently get things wrong that have to corrected all of the time. One of my instructors advised me of this probabaly close to two decades ago.
When I first posted about this new bill being signed into law I mentioned that I hoped that the Second Amendment Foundation would looking into the matter from the perspective of the violation of the state preemptive laws regarding firearms but the points being made here about Heller are nonetheless valid even if that's not the grounds under which the Second Amendment Foundation and the NRA are going after the City of Seattle.

Lastly what does "not using them" mean in the following statement?

"Under the San Francisco ordinance, handgun owners can keep their weapons at home but must keep them locked in safes or disabled by trigger locks when not using them.​

medicine/mouthwash/cleaning supplies must have child resistant packaging
you must get a doctor's ok to get some medicine
The complete list of substances requiring C-R packaging can be found in 16 CFR §1700.14. Specific examples of products available OTC and requiring C-R packaging include:
  • acetaminophen
  • aspirin
  • diphenhydramine
  • ibuprofen
  • iron-containing drugs and dietary supplements
  • imidazolines
  • methyl salicylate
  • mouthwash
  • naproxen
  • OTC switch drugs
Child-Resistant Packaging

...it's only logical and sensical to require child resistant/etc for firearms --that are directly designed to kill
..the NY prisoners that escaped got their weapon from an unoccupied dwelling
...Shooting of Kathryn Steinle - Wikipedia
etc etc
many guns stolen from cars
.....I had one accident in about 4 years....the guy I ran into said he had a pistol stolen from his car.....chances of that happening??
But you don't have to keep those drugs in those bottles after you buy them do you?

And if you don't who is going to know?

As predicted here

The NRA takes it upon itself to defend the irresponsible gun owner, and the criminal that wants a gun. This is common sense. If somebody is murdered with your gun because you were not responsible enough with it, you should pay a penalty.

Define your terms

If all my doors ad windows are locked and some piece of shit breaks into my house and steals a gun how is that my fault?

If some piece of shit breaks into your locked home and steals a baseball bat then beats a person to death with it are you at fault?

Negligence

Wrong.

[…]

There is more to that law than just stored weapons. It is also about the right to carry. It appears that the NRA and others approached it incorrectly and asked for the wrong things. The Court made a correct ruling. They should have made a specific deal about the storage deal and that would have fallen under Heller. Instead, they went after the whole enchilada and the court refused to hear it. There are parts that are legal while other parts that aren't. The NRA and others need to revisit it and be more specific.

As predicted here

It won't hold up even if the State were to try and adopt it. Heller V DC already settled that.

The lawsuit concerns the preemption of state law by local jurisdictions, not the constitutionality of laws requiring the safe storage of operational firearms – Heller has no bearing on the case; and even if it did, it would not be precedent to invalidate the Seattle ordinance.

Below is a link to the suit; nowhere in the complaint will you find a reference to ‘Heller’ or to the ‘Second Amendment’ save that of the SAF.

https://www.thestranger.com/images/...11248-2018-07-20_complaint_re_gun_storage.pdf

If the ordinance is invalidated, it will be because it violates Washington’s preemption law, not the Second Amendment, having nothing to do with Heller.

And that may be correct. If the State Law is considerate with the Heller law then the local law will be overturned.

Meanwhile in the news a 4 yr old kills a 2 yr old .... because safe gun storage is such a BAD IDEA.

4-year-old boy accidentally shoots, kills 2-year-old cousin; grandfather arrested

Lock up the steak knives as well...

https://nypost.com/2018/04/03/boy-stabs-brother-in-throat-over-desire-to-be-only-child-cops/

Put the pillows in the lock box too...

7-year-old admits killing toddler sister, saving dad
Which is likely to be more lethal when misused? WTF is wrong with safe storage? That is what is Wrong with “gun nuts”, even the most benign common sense measures are automatically opposed.

Meanwhile in the news a 4 yr old kills a 2 yr old .... because safe gun storage is such a BAD IDEA.

4-year-old boy accidentally shoots, kills 2-year-old cousin; grandfather arrested

https://nypost.com/2018/04/03/boy-stabs-brother-in-throat-over-desire-to-be-only-child-cops/

Which is likely to be more lethal when misused? WTF is wrong with safe storage? That is what is Wrong with “gun nuts”, even the most benign common sense measures are automatically opposed.

Safe storage of guns is great.... using it to turn law abiding gun owners into criminals is fucking stupid. You want another financial means to increase the cost of gun ownership because once you get safe storage laws, you will increase the standards on what is considered "safe storage" to the point normal people won't be able to easily afford the safes you want....and also, it is UnConstitutional to mandate keeping guns in a way that makes them inaccessible for self defense...see D.C v Heller.....

then you plan on making it a crime punishable with fines and jail time for law abiding gun owners who don't follow your demands for safe storage...

So screw you.....

As predicted here

And that may be correct. If the State Law is considerate with the Heller law then the local law will be overturned.

They don't even have to resort to Heller, Seattle is violating state law....

Safe storage of guns is great.... using it to turn law abiding gun owners into criminals is fucking stupid. You want another financial means to increase the cost of gun ownership because once you get safe storage laws, you will increase the standards on what is considered "safe storage" to the point normal people won't be able to easily afford the safes you want....and also, it is UnConstitutional to mandate keeping guns in a way that makes them inaccessible for self defense...see D.C v Heller.....

then you plan on making it a crime punishable with fines and jail time for law abiding gun owners who don't follow your demands for safe storage...

So screw you.....
Screw. You. You whine and bitch about any ANY law causing you the least bit of inconvenience even though it might save lives.

That is the problem with you guys.

So screw you.....
Screw. You. You whine and bitch about any ANY law causing you the least bit of inconvenience even though it might save lives.

Moron... you asshat..... the majority of gun deaths in this country are from suicide...that means that if someone wants to commit suicide, you dumb ass, they just open the safe..... and since criminals don't obey the laws against murder.....and they commit the next 11,004 gun murders in 2016, gun safe storage laws won't make a difference you dumb shit.

Inconvenience me when I might need immediate access to my firearm?

As predicted here

They don't even have to resort to Heller, Seattle is violating state law....

I think we already covered that.

A stored gun is worthless in a emergency. What the gun owner must do is place it so that the small children can't get at it. Like up high enough beyond the child's ability to reach it. It's not up to the Government to dictate this, it's up to the Home Owner to dictate it.

Forum List

Back