Motorcyclist sues King County deputy who pulled gun at traffic stop

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
The video can be seen at the hyperlink

A motorcyclist claims a King County Sheriff's deputy used excessive force when he pulled a gun during a traffic stop last August.

Author: KING Staff
Published: 12:49 PM PDT August 1, 2018
Updated: 4:46 PM PDT August 1, 2018

A motorcyclist who had a gun pulled on him by a King County Sheriff’s Office deputy during a traffic stop sued the deputy and King County on Tuesday, alleging excessive force.

Detective Richard Rowe, who was in plainclothes and driving an unmarked car, pulled over Alex Randall in August 2017. On footage of the incident, Rowe is seen walking up to Randall with a gun pulled close to his chest pointed at Randall. The suit claims Rowe did not properly identify himself.

The suit alleges Rowe used excessive force, and King County’s training policies did not adequately train their officers to handle these daily occurrences.

"The Sheriff’s office clearly demonstrated that they feel no need to hold Deputy Rowe accountable for his actions, that violated Sheriff's office policies as well as my 4th Amendment rights," Randall said in a written statement.

Randall is asking for punitive damages and for a correction to King County’s policies that violate state law.

"That’s why I’m following through on this lawsuit, it’s my only recourse to try to [elicit] any change to the King County Sheriffs Department, and in doing so protecting myself and other King County residents from dangerously unstable officers," he said.

King County Sheriff’s Office said it learned of the allegations Wednesday.

“We will be evaluating the claims in this complaint and working with the Prosecutor’s Office to decide next steps,” King County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Sgt. Ryan Abbott said in an email.

Rowe was placed on administrative leave after the video surfaced in August, and he was suspended in April for five days without pay.

Rowe is a detective with the Woodinville Police Department, which contracts with the King County Sheriff’s Office. He has been with the department for 19 years.

I really like the fact that the plaintiff in this case has stated that he will not settle out of court with the detective or the agency, that his lawsuit is being brought to affect change within the King County Sheriff's office.

We need police. We are generally glad they are out there.
But they need to be taught they are paid to ENFORCE the law and that they are not ABOVE the law.

In the blink of an eye, this guy could be dead today. That gun is a Glock btw. They are prone to accidental firing due to lack of safety IIRC. All it takes is a nervous finger.

That said, I swear, Law enforcement attracts trigger happy psychos like elementary schools are said to attract pedophiles.

I hope there is an award, it is very large, and forces cities to rethink Police officer training.

PS....the ACLU sucks 99.9 % of the time imo

A motorcyclist claims a King County Sheriff's deputy used excessive force when he pulled a gun during a traffic stop last August.

A motorcyclist who had a gun pulled on him by a King County Sheriff’s Office deputy during a traffic stop sued the deputy and King County on Tuesday, alleging excessive force.

Detective Richard Rowe, who was in plainclothes and driving an unmarked car, pulled over Alex Randall in August 2017. On footage of the incident, Rowe is seen walking up to Randall with a gun pulled close to his chest pointed at Randall. The suit claims Rowe did not properly identify himself.

The suit alleges Rowe used excessive force, and King County’s training policies did not adequately train their officers to handle these daily occurrences.

"The Sheriff’s office clearly demonstrated that they feel no need to hold Deputy Rowe accountable for his actions, that violated Sheriff's office policies as well as my 4th Amendment rights," Randall said in a written statement.

Randall is asking for punitive damages and for a correction to King County’s policies that violate state law.

"That’s why I’m following through on this lawsuit, it’s my only recourse to try to [elicit] any change to the King County Sheriffs Department, and in doing so protecting myself and other King County residents from dangerously unstable officers," he said.

“We will be evaluating the claims in this complaint and working with the Prosecutor’s Office to decide next steps,” King County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Sgt. Ryan Abbott said in an email.

Rowe was placed on administrative leave after the video surfaced in August, and he was suspended in April for five days without pay.

Rowe is a detective with the Woodinville Police Department, which contracts with the King County Sheriff’s Office. He has been with the department for 19 years.

Good for him and best of luck.

Times have changed. Same thing happened to me, except with two cops who never identified themselves, both pulled guns and put me in handcuffs. Simply because I was the only one on the street.

Fucking pigs.

But they need to be taught they are paid to ENFORCE the law and that they are not ABOVE the law.

In the blink of an eye, this guy could be dead today. That gun is a Glock btw. They are prone to accidental firing due to lack of safety IIRC. All it takes is a nervous finger.

That said, I swear, Law enforcement attracts trigger happy psychos like elementary schools are said to attract pedophiles.

I hope there is an award, it is very large, and forces cities to rethink Police officer training.

There is nothing inherently dangerous about Glocks, it's up to the shooter to keep their finger off of the trigger until their sight is on the target and they're ready to shoot. This is one of the basic laws of gun safety.

As far as your observation about the ACLU, they don't suck as badly as people whose parents neglected to teach them any manners, particularly since they win more of their cases than they lose.

Of all the scum I deal with, the biker gang bangers are the worst.

My thoughts I. This after watching the video...

I don’t hear a siren and I don’t see the reflection of any emergency lights; so did the detective ever give this guy a chance to pull over before confronting him. I’m guessing no. In which case the biker needs to sue the department for about ten times their budget.

Now IF we find out the detective DID attempt to pull him over and the biker didn’t stop, then he gets nothing.

Now IF we find out the detective DID attempt to pull him over and the biker didn’t stop, then he gets nothing.
The article indicates that one of the causes of action in the lawsuit is for failure of the officer to identify himself. I personally wouldn't have handed over anything to him because he just looks like an armed robber.

No, Glocks are quite safe to use. They are NOT prone to "accidental" discharge. No modern firearm is.

The article indicates that one of the causes of action in the lawsuit is for failure of the officer to identify himself. I personally wouldn't have handed over anything to him because he just looks like an armed robber.

He didn’t identify himself. That doesn’t necessarily indicate there weren’t any blue lights. I get the feeling there weren’t but it doesn’t say that.

On the other hand, if the biker was actually doing what the detective claims he was doing, I want the biker shot as a public nuisance.

I don’t hear a siren and I don’t see the reflection of any emergency lights; so did the detective ever give this guy a chance to pull over before confronting him. I’m guessing no. In which case the biker needs to sue the department for about ten times their budget.

In the video, the car has emergency lights on.

I missed that when I watched it the first time. Then the question becomes when did they get turned on. If he was actually pursuing the motorcyclist, then he has no case. If they went on when the detective got out of the car, that’s a different story.

He didn’t identify himself. That doesn’t necessarily indicate there weren’t any blue lights. I get the feeling there weren’t but it doesn’t say that.

On the other hand, if the biker was actually doing what the detective claims he was doing, I want the biker shot as a public nuisance.

The video didn't run for me but flashing lights isn't "identifying" anything. That might not be your implication but I've seen fantasy-police purport to pull somebody over just because they have lights, at least twice.

Like I can buy on Amazon? If that's the vid I think it is (won't play on my phone, but I recall seeing it elsewhere), it was a random guy in civilian clothes with a gun, in a random car with a strobe bar in the windshield.

The video didn't run for me but flashing lights isn't "identifying" anything. That might not be your implication but I've seen fantasy-police purport to pull somebody over just because they have lights, at least twice.
Dude in Virginia had police lights on his car. He was pulling people over, and raping the attractive women.

Dude in Virginia had police lights on his car. He was pulling people over, and raping the attractive women.

I saw this yokel at the border in South Carolina --- a real cop, this one --- just pulling everybody over randomly. I knew he'd come after me seeing the out-of-state plate and sure enough he did. Had me sit in his car asking bizarre questions like "why aren't your parents traveling with you?" --- "umm... because I'm 42 years old and they have their own lives now"? He didn't know what to make of that. Kept asking me if I was carrying firearms or methamphetamine. I offered to open the tailgate and let him sort though (car was packed). He didn't know what to make of that either. Finally sent me on my way with nothing, not even a warning since he had no reason to stop me in the first place.

These clowns are out there. And some of them are OUT THERE. :cuckoo:

Also, unlawfully pointing a firearm at someone is considered an assault in Washington State

RCW 9.41.230
Aiming or discharging firearms, dangerous weapons.

(1) For conduct not amounting to a violation of chapter 9A.36 RCW, any person who:
(a) Aims any firearm, whether loaded or not, at or towards any human being;
(b) Willfully discharges any firearm, air gun, or other weapon, or throws any deadly missile in a public place, or in any place where any person might be endangered thereby. A public place shall not include any location at which firearms are authorized to be lawfully discharged; or
(c) Except as provided in RCW 9.41.185, sets a so-called trap, spring pistol, rifle, or other dangerous weapon,
although no injury results, is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.
(2) If an injury results from a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person violating subsection (1) of this section shall be subject to the applicable provisions of chapters 9A.32 and 9A.36 RCW.
[ 1994 sp.s. c 7 § 422; 1909 c 249 § 307; 1888 p 100 §§ 2, 3; RRS § 2559.]​

Forum List

Back