NRA gathers ammo against Obama

Ninja

Dec 30, 2006
Glorious People's Republic of California
The National Rifle Association plans to spend about $40 million on this year’s presidential campaign, with $15 million of that devoted to portraying Barack Obama as a threat to the Second Amendment rights upheld last week by the Supreme Court.

“Our members understand that if Barack Obama is elected president, and he has support in the Senate to confirm anti-gun Supreme Court nominees, [the District of Columbia v. Heller decision] could be taken away from us in the future,” Chris Cox, head of the NRA’s political arm, told Politico.

The politically powerful gun rights group will split its message efforts between communicating with its 4 million members and the tens of millions more firearms owners across the country.

This fall, NRA members will get automated phone calls, mail pieces and pre-election editions of the group’s three magazines making the case against Obama. More broadly, the group will use an independent expenditure effort to hammer the Democratic nominee via TV, radio and newspaper ads in some of about 15 battleground states in the Midwest and Mountain West.

“We look forward to showing him ‘bitter,’” Cox said, referring to Obama’s statement this spring that some in rural America “cling” to guns and religion out of bitterness.

More: NRA gathers ammo against Obama - Yahoo! News

This sounds like the fearmongering the Roe v Wade extremists have been crying since 1964 and nothing has been done to change the decision.

Sounds good to me. Anything to convince Americans not to vote for Obama is fine with me. Well as long as it is truthful and not made up shit like Nomdeplume posts.

Obma ought to come right ans say this:

"I will veto any law brought before me which changes the current laws regarding gun rights"

Gun rights is NOT an important issue for this nation, anyway, folks.

We can pass laws till we're blue in the face but as we can't (or won't) enforce them, why bother?

This sounds like the fearmongering the Roe v Wade extremists have been crying since 1964 and nothing has been done to change the decision.

If you're referring to “Our members understand that if Barack Obama is elected president, and he has support in the Senate to confirm anti-gun Supreme Court nominees, [the District of Columbia v. Heller decision] could be taken away from us in the future,” I agree. Total FUD.

They most certainly are. Guns cost the Dems the house in '94 and the presidency in '00 and '04.

If you're referring to “Our members understand that if Barack Obama is elected president, and he has support in the Senate to confirm anti-gun Supreme Court nominees, [the District of Columbia v. Heller decision] could be taken away from us in the future,” I agree. Total FUD.

They most certainly are. Guns cost the Dems the house in '94 and the presidency in '00 and '04.

Well, I don't doubt that played a significant part in those defeats.

But when I say it is not important, I mean that the passing (or not) of those guns laws won't significantly change the quality of life for most Americans.

The democrapic party is foolish to make an issue of this.

People who think this issue is really the most important issue facing Americans are just damned fools no matter what side of the debate they are on.

Well, I don't doubt that played a significant part in those defeats.

But when I say it is not important, I mean that the passing (or not) of those guns laws won't significantly change the quality of life for most Americans.

The democrapic party is foolish to make an issue of this.

People who think this issue is really the most important issue facing Americans are just damned fools no matter what side of the debate they are on.
"If a politician isn't perfectly comfortable with the idea of his average constituent, any man, woman, or responsible child, walking into a hardware store and paying cash—for any rifle, shotgun, handgun, machinegun, anything—without producing ID or signing one scrap of paper, he isn't your friend no matter what he tells you."

We don't need an anti Gun President in the White House. McCain all the way to the White house. I need all you Gun lovers to vote for Sen. John McCain. Obamma wants
our Guns! and assault Rifles.

in your mind maybe, in my mind, and in the mind of Most of the framers of the Constitution it is very important.

Infact it was Washington who said something to the effect that the right to bear arms is second in importance only to the constitution itself.

Many many quotes from our founding fathers in favor of private gun ownership can be found. Nearly non against it can be.

the Public bearing arms is our most important and last defense against tyranny, not to mention stats show public gun ownership actual lowers violent crime. Don't believe me? look at what happened to Australian Violent crime rates when they passed their anti gun laws. Up by 44%, or look what happened when southern states tried their hand at gun control after the Civil war. Near anarchy with armed gangs running around.

The right to bear arms is one of our most important rights.

Charles.

"If a politician isn't perfectly comfortable with the idea of his average constituent, any man, woman, or responsible child, walking into a hardware store and paying cash—for any rifle, shotgun, handgun, machinegun, anything—without producing ID or signing one scrap of paper, he isn't your friend no matter what he tells you."

Maybe not yours, but he would be mine...

People please... I think you're over estimating the amount of power a president has.

A president alone cannot overturn 2nd amendment. Only Congress could do that and there is a number of political and judiciary stumbling blocks along the way.

Obama could push for some changes, but its up to Congress to approve it.

Obama might try to tighten up gun control laws, making it more difficult for ex-cons, immigrants and the legally insane/mentally handicapped to legally buy guns... which means anyone in such categories would have to buy their guns illegally. Law abiding citizens will still have plenty of opportunity to legally buy guns.

For example it would be perfectly acceptable to me if they raised the legal age to buy a gun or ammo to 21. Every time we have a school shooting it gives guns a bad name ands adds fuel to the anti-gun legislators fire.

We're going to have to accept a certain amount of gun control to keep guns in the hands of people who are going to use them responsibly.

People please... I think you're over estimating the amount of power a president has.

A president alone cannot overturn 2nd amendment. Only Congress could do that and there is a number of political and judiciary stumbling blocks along the way.

Obama could push for some changes, but its up to Congress to approve it.

Obama might try to tighten up gun control laws, making it more difficult for ex-cons, immigrants and the legally insane/mentally handicapped to legally buy guns... which means anyone in such categories would have to buy their guns illegally. Law abiding citizens will still have plenty of opportunity to legally buy guns.

For example it would be perfectly acceptable to me if they raised the legal age to buy a gun or ammo to 21. Every time we have a school shooting it gives guns a bad name ands adds fuel to the anti-gun legislators fire.

We're going to have to accept a certain amount of gun control to keep guns in the hands of people who are going to use them responsibly.

You can not buy handguns or handgun ammo until your 21 already. Mental Conditions that require a Judges order already bar one from owning a weapon. Ex Cons can not own weapons if any of the charges were felonies. Mentally handicapped of certain types already are barred from owning weapons.

The NRA has killed more Americans than AQ ever will. They make sure there is a steady supply of guns for Americans to kill themselves and each other. It's a public service.

Really, I thought the majority crimes involving a gun, involved illegal guns. The NRA supports law abiding citizens right of gun ownership. How again do they kill Americans?

In November, one of the clear messages voters sent Congress was to knock off the partisan gamesmanship and start finding common ground on real solutions. It's a message legislators in both parties should heed, and one that mayors have traditionally embraced. By putting aside ideology and focusing on facts, consensus becomes possible -- even on an issue as divisive as guns.

We understand that there are good people on both sides of the gun debate -- and we respect each side. But for too long, this ideological gap has obscured a basic truth: The vast majority of guns used in crimes are purchased and possessed illegally. Criminals who cannot buy guns legally nevertheless have easy access to them on the black market, which puts innocent people, especially our police officers, at great risk. Surely, members of both political parties can agree this is wrong, and that the laws against the illegal sale and possession of guns should be properly and vigorously enforced. It's a no-brainer.

Washington Times - Sights on illegal guns

The NRA has killed more Americans than AQ ever will. They make sure there is a steady supply of guns for Americans to kill themselves and each other. It's a public service.
Retard.

WE already have GUN CONTROL folks.

It doesn't help.

This issue is not important to the quality of life for most Americans.

It's the central most important issue facing us only in the minds of gun queers and anti-gun queers.

The REST of us, those of us who understand the real problems this nation must solve, should vote for the candidate whose solutions to those problems seem best to us.

Let the gun and anti-gun queers vote on a single issue, because that's the issue that is dearest to their hearts.

But the rest of us need to use our brains to make our decision.

We are voting for a POTUS for whom gun control is NOT going to be a significant issue no matter which one is elected.

Neither of them are going to pass or veto a ban on guns.

It would never get through Congress not even if the whole damned congress was Demcraps, and even if it did, it would be get quashed by the Supremem Court.

Guns are just not an imporant issue in this go-rounds, folks.

Last edited:
Really, I thought the majority crimes involving a gun, involved illegal guns. The NRA supports law abiding citizens right of gun ownership. How again do they kill Americans?

In November, one of the clear messages voters sent Congress was to knock off the partisan gamesmanship and start finding common ground on real solutions. It's a message legislators in both parties should heed, and one that mayors have traditionally embraced. By putting aside ideology and focusing on facts, consensus becomes possible -- even on an issue as divisive as guns.

We understand that there are good people on both sides of the gun debate -- and we respect each side. But for too long, this ideological gap has obscured a basic truth: The vast majority of guns used in crimes are purchased and possessed illegally. Criminals who cannot buy guns legally nevertheless have easy access to them on the black market, which puts innocent people, especially our police officers, at great risk. Surely, members of both political parties can agree this is wrong, and that the laws against the illegal sale and possession of guns should be properly and vigorously enforced. It's a no-brainer.

Washington Times - Sights on illegal guns

Where do you think criminals get guns? They steal them from gun owners. 1.4 million guns were stolen in the last 15 years. Gun owners are the main supply of guns to criminals. It's a public service.

Forum List

Back