Not Shots, but Bad DNA causes autism

Argene

Rookie
Jun 10, 2010
Genetic Mutations May Be Key Cause of Autism

WebMD
2010-06-10

Accumulation of rare DNA mutations in genes affecting brain function appears to be a major cause of autism, a large international study suggests.

"This will lead to a paradigm shift in understanding causes of autism," study researcher Stephen Scherer, PHD, of Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children, said at a news conference held to announce the findings.

Finding the cause of autism is like trying to put together a huge jigsaw puzzle with no idea of what the final picture should look like, says study researcher Anthony Monaco, MD, PhD, of the U.K.'s University of Oxford.

"What we have found are the edges of the puzzle. We now can say some of the pieces are the sky or the sand of the picture," Monaco said at the news conference. "We now see that some of the genetic changes in autism are related to connections in the brain."

The study used recently developed technology to look for unusual DNA deletions or duplications -- known as copy number variants or CNVs -- in 996 people with autism and 1,287 matched people without autism.

People with autism didn't have more CNVs than people without autism, and their CNVs weren't any bigger than usual. But in autism, CNVs are much more likely to occur in gene-containing regions of the genome.

webmd.com/brain/autism/news/20100609/genetic-mutations-may-be-key-cause-of-autism]Genetic[/url] Mutations May Be Key Cause of Autism

I post this because there are crazy parents out there saying that shots made thier children autistic. I have seen this in families that had five generations of autism, and you know that it was genetic. Yet, the parents refuse to get their children immunized because of their irrational fear.

over 100 children die every year because their crazy parents did not get them immunized against childhood illnesses.

Now that they can identify autism (which usually makes itself known by year three) perhaps they can administer medicine that will lessen the effects of the brain damaging disease.

WebMD
2010-06-10

Accumulation of rare DNA mutations in genes affecting brain function appears to be a major cause of autism, a large international study suggests.

"This will lead to a paradigm shift in understanding causes of autism," study researcher Stephen Scherer, PHD, of Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children, said at a news conference held to announce the findings.

Finding the cause of autism is like trying to put together a huge jigsaw puzzle with no idea of what the final picture should look like, says study researcher Anthony Monaco, MD, PhD, of the U.K.'s University of Oxford.

"What we have found are the edges of the puzzle. We now can say some of the pieces are the sky or the sand of the picture," Monaco said at the news conference. "We now see that some of the genetic changes in autism are related to connections in the brain."

The study used recently developed technology to look for unusual DNA deletions or duplications -- known as copy number variants or CNVs -- in 996 people with autism and 1,287 matched people without autism.

People with autism didn't have more CNVs than people without autism, and their CNVs weren't any bigger than usual. But in autism, CNVs are much more likely to occur in gene-containing regions of the genome.

webmd.com/brain/autism/news/20100609/genetic-mutations-may-be-key-cause-of-autism]Genetic[/url] Mutations May Be Key Cause of Autism

I post this because there are crazy parents out there saying that shots made thier children autistic. I have seen this in families that had five generations of autism, and you know that it was genetic. Yet, the parents refuse to get their children immunized because of their irrational fear.

over 100 children die every year because their crazy parents did not get them immunized against childhood illnesses.

Now that they can identify autism (which usually makes itself known by year three) perhaps they can administer medicine that will lessen the effects of the brain damaging disease.

I just read this in USAToday. The problem is that the genetics are so multifactorial that the best concordance rate they could get was 1% on one gene.

But it's a start.

I really think (just my opinion) that the "soaring rate of autism diagnosis'" is basically due to the fact that it's a relatively new (recognized) disease and it has only been diagnosed for forty years or so.

Totally agree with you on the vaccination thing, btw.

It would be nice if it were that easy.

WebMD
2010-06-10

bullshit ...there may be those predisposed that are triggered from some vaccines..this article does not claim what you say it does

Last edited:
bullshit ...there may be those predisposed that are triggered from some vaccines..this article does not claim what you say it does

Nor does it claim your supposition.

You can basically say: there may be those predisposed that are triggered from (insert whatever you want here).

Of all the things that have been studied in the etiology of autism, none have been more scrutinized than vaccines. So while I agree that genetics and exposure are probably interlinked, I doubt the exposure factor is in vaccines.

So does the medical community.

Like I said, it would be nice if the solution were that easy.

Here's how the government worded its concession in Hannah's case:

"After a thorough review, DVIC (the Division of Vaccine Injury Compensation, Department of Health and Human Services) has concluded that compensation is appropriate in this case. In sum, DVIC has concluded that the facts of this case meet the statutory criteria for demonstrating that the vaccinations CHILD received on July 19, 2000, significantly aggravated an underlying mitochondrial disorder, which predisposed her to deficits in cellular energy metabolism, and manifested as a regressive encephalopathy with features of autism spectrum disorder.

Learning From a Previous Vaccine-Autism Case? - Primary Source - CBS News

Here's how the government worded its concession in Hannah's case:

"After a thorough review, DVIC (the Division of Vaccine Injury Compensation, Department of Health and Human Services) has concluded that compensation is appropriate in this case. In sum, DVIC has concluded that the facts of this case meet the statutory criteria for demonstrating that the vaccinations CHILD received on July 19, 2000, significantly aggravated an underlying mitochondrial disorder, which predisposed her to deficits in cellular energy metabolism, and manifested as a regressive encephalopathy with features of autism spectrum disorder.

Learning From a Previous Vaccine-Autism Case? - Primary Source - CBS News

So what? No one is denying that vaccines are 100% safe and that is why we have the vaccine court.

They never stated that the vaccines gave her autism. They are saying it interfered with her metabolism to the extent that she had brain damage that resulted in symptoms of autism.

I think there has been this sickness for years. The difference now is that these people are not shut away into an institution and forgotten like 50 years ago. It's out in the open. Drug companies are cashing in on all of our ailments. ADD, restless leg syndrome. Fear, Fear, Fear equals profits.

Austim is still a medical mystery as to what exactly causes it in a person, and what kinds of things can be best for the child. Diet? Meds? Behavoir Therapy? All of the above?

What Causes Autism?
Autism runs in families. The underlying causes, however, are unknown. Most researchers agree that the causes are likely to be genetic. Others also believe that environmental factors may be involved.

This is so true, I have taught many children who have a sibling who also have autism.

A History of Autism

There are other reasons why people avoid immunization than fear of autism. Many feel that over immunization leads to immune system malfunctions. The human immune system is a delicate system and is complex and not totally understood.

WebMD
2010-06-10

they have proven vaccine do not cause autism, and the english doctor who first came up with the vaccine theory has been in a lot of "trouble" lately.

Forum List

Back