Not All Conservatives Thrilled About Romney VP Pick

By Howard Fineman

Despite general cheer among conservatives, some in that camp are apoplectic at Mitt Romney's choice of Rep. Paul Ryan as his vice presidential running mate, though they are reluctant to say so publicly.

Here -- anonymously, by his request -- is a critique of the choice by one of the country's most prominent and influential conservatives, who sent this analysis to close friends:

Here are some problems I see:

Vice president, at this moment, I don't see it. I believe when Ryan adds a top leadership job to his resume, like joining the Senate or becoming a governor, he would be presidential timber in the GOP. Today, in this election, he subtracts more than he adds.

This was supposed to be Mitt Romney's election to lose. Right now polls show he is losing. It's important to remember that Romney's top campaign staff were Charlie Crist's political staff. They took the most popular Republican governor in the U.S. and by the end of his first term, his campaign for Senate had not only crashed, Charlie Crist had to leave the Republican party! It was no surprise when I read in the New Republic that Mitt's chief strategist told folks he voted for Obama in 2008.​

Good Article/Much More: Howard Fineman: Rep. Paul Ryan VP Choice Draws Criticism From Some Conservatives

Written by Howard Fineman.. What an unbiased, objective piece of journalism it must be!
Directer of HuffypuffyPo, posting on HuffypuffyPo, claiming that a republican is icky.

Who woulda guesses? :lol:

Not all Democrats are thrilled with Obama there will always be people in both parties who won't be thrilled with a candidate so I'm really not sure what your point here is.

I sympathize with your confusion...

and i sympathize with yours.........many "Conservatives" are not happy with Romney.....now like Blackhawk asked..... what is your point?

Like Romney and his five sons, Ryan never served his country in the military. Where's all that wingnut patriotism?

obama-muslim-garb.jpg

Paul "Ayn Rand" Ryan will serve a very useful purpose - to remind voters of the GOP WAR on the following:

Poor

Middle Class

Women

Obama​

maybe to the ones with that mindset.....everyone else....i dont think so.....those who like Romney will still vote for the guy..........

Not all Democrats are thrilled with Obama there will always be people in both parties who won't be thrilled with a candidate so I'm really not sure what your point here is.

But in Ryan's case, his negatives far outweigh the benefits...

And this is Mitt Romney, master of cost-benefit analysis.

The costs are he scares Old people, which make Florida and Virginia harder to win. He has no foreign policy experience, no military experience, no business experience and has never been a mayor or a governor, so no executive experience. Also, he has extreme views on abortion, wh ich is the last thing Romney needs right now.

The benefits are that he gets conservatives warmed up. But Romney should have already had them in the bag.

Of course, we have no idea what came up about the other guys in vetting.

So much as Romney got the nomination because the other guys were worse, the same might be said for his running-mate.

Offering places in my "LEarning to Live with Obama" seminar for disgruntled conservatives.

He has no foreign policy experience, no military experience, no business experience and has never been a mayor or a governor, so no executive experience.

neither did the guy sitting in the big chair now....:eusa_eh:

Paul "Ayn Rand" Ryan will serve a very useful purpose - to remind voters of the GOP WAR on the following:

Poor

Middle Class

Women

Obama​

maybe to the ones with that mindset.....everyone else....i dont think so.....those who like Romney will still vote for the guy..........

And those of us who don't... won't. /shrug

It is not like we're going to get either hope or change this year just as we didn't in 2008.

Immie

10.I wonder what lie / lies he will tell us about this one...:bsflag: Ryan believes that Romneycare is “not that dissimilar to Obamacare.” Though Romney has gone to great lengths to distinguish his Massachusetts health care law from Obamacare, Ryan doesn’t see the difference. “It’s not that dissimilar to Obamacare, and you probably know I’m not a big fan of Obamacare,” Ryan said at a breakfast meeting sponsored by the American Spectator in March of 2011. “I just don’t think the mandates work … all the regulation they’ve put on it…I think it’s beginning to death spiral. They’re beginning to have to look at rationing decisions.”

First major red flag.7. Ryan supports $40 billion in subsides for big oil.
Ryan has ownership stakes in companies that benefit from oil subsidies . Ryan “and his wife, Janna, own stakes in four family companies that lease land in Texas and Oklahoma to the very energy companies that benefit from the tax subsidies in Ryan’s budget plan,” the Daily Beast reported in June of 2011. “Ryan’s father-in-law, Daniel Little, who runs the companies, told Newsweek and The Daily Beast that the family companies are currently leasing the land for mining and drilling to energy giants such as Chesapeake Energy, Devon, and XTO Energy, a recently acquired subsidiary of ExxonMobil.”

I'm inclined to think that this was a pretty good choice for Romney. First, it's a pretty ballsy move, and at this point in the game Romney needs balls in order to pull this thing out. Second, it was unexpected, and that's going to catch people's attention. Suddenly, the entire nation is saying "Hey, I want to learn more." Third, I think that Ryan is going to prove valuable to the campaign in terms of turning public bickering tide. Obama has had Romney pinned down, apologizing for things that Obama wants people to see in Romney. I feel like Ryan has better offensive abilities than Romney, and the new veep pick could help keep Romney off his back.

Perhaps most important, though largely unrecognized so far, is this: Sheeple social conservatives of the base will assume that Ryan is a social conservative, while self-thinking socially progressive independents will note their own inability to come to such a conclusion based on what is known about him publicly. This could end up being an ace up the sleeve for Romney. Romney can now move campaigning away from social issues, where the public tide and particularly swing voters, are more likely to prefer Obama, while maintaining enough interest by the base to make sure they still come out to the polls.

]
He has no foreign policy experience, no military experience, no business experience and has never been a mayor or a governor, so no executive experience.

neither did the guy sitting in the big chair now....:eusa_eh:

What brain disease do you guys suffer from that you think the answer to ANY criticism is to say something bad about Obama.

Obama's in teh chair now, he won an election to get there and a nomination.

Ryan is on the ticket because Romney let himself get rolled by the Weekly Standard.

Forum List

Back