North vs South

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by violet, Feb 7, 2012.

1. violet

violet BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34
    North vs South?
    First let me say I am not trying to pick a fight or rehash the Civil war,I'm trying to understand something that I thought was long dead. I'm a Northerner born and raised and very proud of family and heritage.

Recently I have been encountering some remarks about people up North from folks living down South that weren't nice to say the least. My sister, whose Ex- in- laws are from the Carolina's, tells me it's common, or at least it was with her inlaws, to make "Damn Yankee" comments.

I'll be the first to admit the North East is very rude and obnoxious or can seem so to people who don't live here.The further North you go the worse it gets. I've been in the South several times but never encountered this prejudice face to face, but on line it seems to be prevalent.

It's 2012 the Civil War was in the 1860's and I gotta say that most people in the USA did the major immigration thing in the early 1900's and their family's weren't even here during the Civil War. So here's the Question. Why the long standing animosity with Southerner's toward the North? Seems as silly to me as blacks going on about Slavery when they never were slaves or American's getting testy about the Brit's over the Revolution. Why can't this country move on?

2. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194

Might be some politics involved, the south being the religious right and the northeast being liberal eliteist. And maybe a bit snobbish about it too.

3. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404

Sweet tea vs unsweetened tea....

thems is fighting words!!!!

:lol:

4. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,826
    Pity the South.

They were the only people to fight a war to prove that they were better than the slaves and lost.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  5. Leweman

Leweman Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +737
    college football is better in the south right now. Best players in the NFL come from everywhere. Best NFL teams are in the north.

6. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,528
    I'm guessing today a lot of it has to do with political differences. I have occasionally heard people here in the south complain about all the northerners moving down here and bringing their "liberal" politics with them that ruined their home state to begin with, but it's not really all that common. I'm from Boston so the letter "R" is not my friend. It's painfully obvious where I'm from and I haven't really had any problems with anybody down here other than my southern friends who like to occasionally rip on me about it, but that's what your buddies do.

7. Ernie S.

Ernie S. Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,472
    See right there is the problem. Most Liberal Yankees heard way back when about racism in the South and assume it continues to this day.
    Having been brought up in New England and lived in the South for the last 11 years, I can tell you that racism, both white of black and black of white is a whole lot more rampant in Connecticut than in Alabama.
    Sure you'll get some racism in the larger cities, but if you look close, the cities in the South with racial problems are nearly all run by Democrats.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Ernie S.

Ernie S. Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,472
    Fixed your avatar for you.

Attached Files:

9. jwreck

jwreck Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I just noticed that you put this in the race-relations section. Why?

10. violet

violet BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Actually I love both! Never had sweet tea until a few years ago when McDonalds started selling it. It was like, what is this and where has it been all my life.lol Now I'm addicted.