North vs South

Dang....Sherry is from the mid-west.

Born and raised in the burbs north of Chicago...currently residing in the Sunshine state.:D

The pop vs. soda thing was always a curiosity. It was always the east coasters that called it soda.

waitress; What kind of coke do you want?
Dad; I'll have a Dr. Pepper.
waitress; We don't have Dr. Pepper, but we have Mr. Pibb.
Dad; That's not a coke product.
waitress' =confused look on face=
Dad; Just give me a coke. }he gets a Pepsi{

It's pop...not soda.
smiliegah.gif

pop is something guys who wear wife beaters give their wives when they don't do the dishes.....I'll be happy to sit down and have a soda with ya though. ;)

It's been more than 30 years ago, but when my stepdad from southern Illinois went into a Big Boy's in Chicago and ordered a soda, this is what he got...

icecreamfloat.jpg

:lmao:

:rofl: nice

Maybe you got it bas-ackward violet. The South has been treated like a conquered country for the last 140 years. The Southern white male is the only target left for institutionalized bigotry. You can't make Italian or Polish jokes or make fun of fairies so the only one left for the butt of jokes is "rednecks". For example they had (have) a series on the history channel called "redneck rockets" or something like that. It's about a bunch of really smart guys who get together to build and engineer rockets that they launch. The kicker is that they have southern accents that bigoted yankees have learned to associate with ignorance in the last 140 years of anti-southern propaganda so it seems funny.

Whoa, whoa, whoa....Ravi and I just bitched at each other for a week about how southerners (as she insists) love to be called names like redneck and cracker. I mean that was her primary point of argument about why liberals can call southerners crackers and rednecks but Republicans can't criticize Obama's singing voice without being called a racist. Are you saying that the southerner might actually be offended by being referred to in such a way?

Well I know what discussion you are referring to Violet so let me step back from that a bit and approach this as a historian for a sec.

There was a lot of hypocrisy on both sides. The south viewed slavery mostly as a necessary evil that had to exist to protect the health of their economy. Unpleasant as it is to concede that...it's really the truth. With the loss of slavery the South suffered tremendously from an economic aspect. The North loves to claim moral superiority but let's not get too carried away. The northern industrial complexes sure loved the cheap raw materials the south provided and they sure didn't hesitate to capitalize on it.

Additionally Abraham Lincoln, though I feel he is the best president we have ever had, is credited with ending slavery, it's worth noting that he wasn't willing to go to war over it. That wasn't his idea at all. His idea was to restrict and regulate it to the point that it would die out on itself and the south would evolve economically over time to compensate. Once the south attacked the north he figured "what the hell, might as well stick the point now". This is a critical point because South Carolina left the union arguing that Lincoln's plan was to enslave them economically and other southern states followed. It's an interesting point of history to note that Lincoln had no such objectives that can be supported by any documentation (in fact the documentation shows the exact opposite) but that the south forced his hand. In other words, they forced what they feared.

Why does animosity exist? History and tradition I would say. For the same reason why blacks still bitch about slavery even though no one alive was ever a slave or owned a slave. The tradition of hatred and scapegoating has been passed down and enforced by culture. Indeed, it has become a part of each ones culture to do so.

Then we have to break the culture of dislike and sterotypes on both ends. "A house divided against itself cannot stand," Well the house is still divided and might cease to function if we don't find a way to put aside our differences. I always thought we had but it's clear we haven't come that far at all. How we would do that IDK, but to do nothing in not acceptable.

Dang....Sherry is from the mid-west.

Born and raised in the burbs north of Chicago...currently residing in the Sunshine state.:D

The pop vs. soda thing was always a curiosity. It was always the east coasters that called it soda.

It's all coke here. You sit down to eat and the ask what you want to drink. You say "Coke" and they ask, "What kind". You say, "Regular". They say "Regular what?" It could go on for ever, unless You say Mountain Dew".

I'm from Boston so the letter "R" is not my friend. It's painfully obvious where I'm from and I haven't really had any problems with anybody down here other than my southern friends who like to occasionally rip on me about it, but that's what your buddies do.

Is there anything more nails-on-the-chalkboard annoying than some Hollywood yahoo trying to 'put on' a Boston accent? They all seem to want to try for some reason.

Then we have to break the culture of dislike and sterotypes on both ends. "A house divided against itself cannot stand," Well the house is still divided and might cease to function if we don't find a way to put aside our differences. I always thought we had but it's clear we haven't come that far at all. How we would do that IDK, but to do nothing in not acceptable.

I agree. I have told many black people that they should not be pissed at me because their distant ancestor was a slave. Their answer is often "you can't work on the future when the past is staring you in the face". I tell them "then it's time to change your focus.". Very few actually listen. I mean...you are 100% correct...but no one will pay attention to you except those that already agree.

It's all coke here. You sit down to eat and the ask what you want to drink. You say "Coke" and they ask, "What kind". You say, "Regular". They say "Regular what?" It could go on for ever, unless You say Mountain Dew".

Bingo. If you want a Sprite...ask for a Sprite. This soda/coke/sasparilla thingy just confuses them.

Last edited:
Maybe you got it bas-ackward violet. The South has been treated like a conquered country for the last 140 years. The Southern white male is the only target left for institutionalized bigotry. You can't make Italian or Polish jokes or make fun of fairies so the only one left for the butt of jokes is "rednecks". For example they had (have) a series on the history channel called "redneck rockets" or something like that. It's about a bunch of really smart guys who get together to build and engineer rockets that they launch. The kicker is that they have southern accents that bigoted yankees have learned to associate with ignorance in the last 140 years of anti-southern propaganda so it seems funny.

Whoa, whoa, whoa....Ravi and I just bitched at each other for a week about how southerners (as she insists) love to be called names like redneck and cracker. I mean that was her primary point of argument about why liberals can call southerners crackers and rednecks but Republicans can't criticize Obama's singing voice without being called a racist. Are you saying that the southerner might actually be offended by being referred to in such a way?

You can find a thousand examples of how Blacks freely use the "N" word to each other and about each other. Get my point? It's about the intent and the way the term is used. Hollywood has made a buck off institutionalized bigotry toward the Southern white male for so long that nobody even notices.

You can find a thousand examples of how Blacks freely use the "N" word to each other and about each other. Get my point? It's about the intent and the way the term is used. Hollywood has made a buck off institutionalized bigotry toward the Southern white male for so long that nobody even notices.

Well how interesting cause that was exactly MY point and she actually said when I can show that blacks refer to themselves using that racial slur that I would have a valid point but until then I wouldn't. So i am confused here. I mean on one thread liberals are arguing one thing and now on this thread suddenly there's a completely different argument.

Could it be (as I suggested in the other thread) that liberals have a real bad habit of using whatever argument suits them at the time and disregards the very same argument 10 minutes later?

Hey Violet....you checking this out? I swear to God....if I was an arrogant prick I would say something like "game, set, match" but as I am not that bad I will simply fold my arms across my chest and say "hmmmmm....how very interesting"

North vs South?
First let me say I am not trying to pick a fight or ...

Obviously you are trying. You would not have offered the proposition if you were not trying.

Actually, no i'm not. This subject has already caused a fight due to a general misunderstanding of how people view the use of certain words and regions of the USA. I'm just letting folks know I'm not baiting them, I wanted calm and serious discussion.

North vs South?
First let me say I am not trying to pick a fight or ...

Obviously you are trying. You would not have offered the proposition if you were not trying.

Actually, no i'm not. This subject has already caused a fight due to a general misunderstanding of how people view the use of certain words and regions of the USA. I'm just letting folks know I'm not baiting them, I wanted calm and serious discussion.

So what is your opinion on the pop vs. soda debate?

North vs South?
First let me say I am not trying to pick a fight or rehash the Civil war,I'm trying to understand something that I thought was long dead. I'm a Northerner born and raised and very proud of family and heritage.

Recently I have been encountering some remarks about people up North from folks living down South that weren't nice to say the least. My sister, whose Ex- in- laws are from the Carolina's, tells me it's common, or at least it was with her inlaws, to make "Damn Yankee" comments.

I'll be the first to admit the North East is very rude and obnoxious or can seem so to people who don't live here.The further North you go the worse it gets. I've been in the South several times but never encountered this prejudice face to face, but on line it seems to be prevalent.

It's 2012 the Civil War was in the 1860's and I gotta say that most people in the USA did the major immigration thing in the early 1900's and their family's weren't even here during the Civil War. So here's the Question. Why the long standing animosity with Southerner's toward the North? Seems as silly to me as blacks going on about Slavery when they never were slaves or American's getting testy about the Brit's over the Revolution. Why can't this country move on?

Humans are tribal by nature.

And when you live in the greatest country ever, the only competition is other Americans.

We route for teams that have meaning to us. Notre Dame rocks and USC can go fuck itself. [I've been to neither campus, but my family came from Ireland]

Country folk can survive.
City people have art and other useless crap. :eusa_angel:

on and on

Hell, southerners don't like south-westerners. They just aint right.

:eek: Southerners don't like Southwesterners! :eek:

There are other examples of minor institutionalized bigotry towards the South and it's interesting to point them out. Except for maybe Texas and Florida (which has more New Yorkers than "crackers") the geographical location of the Southern States is usually identified but the term "northern states" is never used. A person is introduced as being from the South but never the north. A weather incident might occur in the "south" but never "in the north". Back in the first half of the 20th century a celebrity or an important person would usually be identified as a southerner but never a "northerner".

can be solved in one word, BEER!

There are other examples of minor institutionalized bigotry towards the South and it's interesting to point them out. Except for maybe Texas and Florida (which has more New Yorkers than "crackers") the geographical location of the Southern States is usually identified but the term "northern states" is never used. A person is introduced as being from the South but never the north. A weather incident might occur in the "south" but never "in the north". Back in the first half of the 20th century a celebrity or an important person would usually be identified as a southerner but never a "northerner".

Just curious but why do you put the term "crackers" in quotes? According to Ravi and other liberals it's a perfectly acceptable term with no racist implications whatsoever...at least so liberals are arguing on another thread.

can be solved in one word, BEER!

This is a serious east vs. west debate. Us westerners are not going to support the east for ever.

Well how interesting cause that was exactly MY point and she actually said when I can show that blacks refer to themselves using that racial slur that I would have a valid point but until then I wouldn't. So i am confused here. I mean on one thread liberals are arguing one thing and now on this thread suddenly there's a completely different argument.

Could it be (as I suggested in the other thread) that liberals have a real bad habit of using whatever argument suits them at the time and disregards the very same argument 10 minutes later?

Hey Violet....you checking this out? I swear to God....if I was an arrogant prick I would say something like "game, set, match" but as I am not that bad I will simply fold my arms across my chest and say "hmmmmm....how very interesting"

I am, I remember the conversation and yes very interesting lol.

Forum List

Back