North Carolina Republicans Trying to Ban Tesla Sales

It's not the governments job to protect one business model, or protect a business sector UNLESS it affects national security.

If middlemen get pushed out by direct marketing, that's unfortunate, but also unavoidable.

What have Republicans been saying for 5 years? "It's not the governments job to pick winners and losers!"

The Republican's in NC need a reminder that it's not state governments job either.

Well, you are missing what is causing the problem.

The middleman is LOBBYING politicians to enact these laws. You know, the conservative circlejerk?

Get rid of the lobbying and your basic laws won't change.

Tesla can sell cars in the state. They just have to abide by the same laws as everyone else.

Yeah... the "same laws".

You mean lobbied conservatism income?
The law is that you must hire a middleman (the auto dealers) to tell your vehicles through.

You aren't allowed to sell directly to consumer.

Why should the law be changed to accommodate tesla's business model? They need to adapt the business model.

Tesla can sell cars in the state. They just have to abide by the same laws as everyone else.

Yeah... the "same laws".

The law is that you must hire a middleman (the auto dealers) to tell your vehicles through.

Why should the law be changed to accommodate tesla's business model? They need to adapt the business model.

The original business model was free economy and regulation to limit monopolies and such.

Teslas business model was fully legal and 100% fair in the first place.

Why should you change the law to only accommodate your business model?

Yeah... the "same laws".

There's not a push to get the law "changed". There's a push to get a law enacted.

But we're sure you knew that, too.

Yeah... the "same laws".

Have you been paying attention? It's not currently the law. The GOP is trying to make it illegal.

Yeah... the "same laws".

There's not a push to get the law "changed". There's a push to get a law enacted.

But we're sure you knew that, too.

This is a very stupid law. Why not allow people to buy the car if they want?

And yet I always hear Republicans saying how they are the party of small government and free enterprise. :eusa_whistle:

From the state that brought you the nation’s first ban on climate science comes another legislative gem: a bill that would prohibit automakers from selling their cars in the state.

The proposal, which the Raleigh News & Observer reports was unanimously approved by the state’s Senate Commerce Committee on Thursday, would apply to all car manufacturers, but the intended target is clear. It’s aimed at Tesla, the only U.S. automaker whose business model relies on selling cars directly to consumers, rather than through a network of third-party dealerships.

The bill is being pushed by the North Carolina Automobile Dealers Association, a trade group representing the state’s franchised dealerships. Its sponsor is state Sen. Tom Apodaca, a Republican from Henderson, who has said the goal is to prevent unfair competition between manufacturers and dealers. What makes it “unfair competition” as opposed to plain-old “competition”—something Republicans are typically inclined to favor—is not entirely clear. After all, North Carolina doesn’t seem to have a problem with Apple selling its computers online or via its own Apple Stores.

North Carolina Tesla ban? Bill would prevent "unfair competition" with car dealerships.

With the Republicans taking control over the State Senate in 2011, they might be able to pull this off. It's also not surprising they are trying to do this. Oil money runs deep in politicians pockets...

Good. I will watch with glee as their stock tanks this week. Anyone remember the Fiskar Karma?

Bahahahaha!

And I'll watch you cry as they continue posting profits and continue to get top reviews from auto journalists/consumer reports.

The Fiskar Karma was garbage, which is why they suffered. Tesla is the highest consumer rated car out there. It was so great that Consumerreports bought one for MSRP.

Same car, different brand. Just how is our infrastructure even close to supporting a fleet of electric cars?

And yet I always hear Republicans saying how they are the party of small government and free enterprise. :eusa_whistle:

From the state that brought you the nation’s first ban on climate science comes another legislative gem: a bill that would prohibit automakers from selling their cars in the state.

The proposal, which the Raleigh News & Observer reports was unanimously approved by the state’s Senate Commerce Committee on Thursday, would apply to all car manufacturers, but the intended target is clear. It’s aimed at Tesla, the only U.S. automaker whose business model relies on selling cars directly to consumers, rather than through a network of third-party dealerships.

The bill is being pushed by the North Carolina Automobile Dealers Association, a trade group representing the state’s franchised dealerships. Its sponsor is state Sen. Tom Apodaca, a Republican from Henderson, who has said the goal is to prevent unfair competition between manufacturers and dealers. What makes it “unfair competition” as opposed to plain-old “competition”—something Republicans are typically inclined to favor—is not entirely clear. After all, North Carolina doesn’t seem to have a problem with Apple selling its computers online or via its own Apple Stores.

North Carolina Tesla ban? Bill would prevent "unfair competition" with car dealerships.

With the Republicans taking control over the State Senate in 2011, they might be able to pull this off. It's also not surprising they are trying to do this. Oil money runs deep in politicians pockets...

Yeah,

To hell with customer choice and the market. Sicking.

You dumb asses are Aware that the Senate in the State of North Carolina is NOT made up of only Republicans? The quoted part states the committee was Unanimous, that means every Democrat on the Committee agreed with the Republicans.

Don't worry your little peanut brains, I realize you are not the brightest tools in the shed.

By the way I see you are busy trying to tell a State you don't live in, what to do. How very liberal of you.

You dumb asses are Aware that the Senate in the State of North Carolina is NOT made up of only Republicans? The quoted part states the committee was Unanimous, that means every Democrat on the Committee agreed with the Republicans.

Don't worry your little peanut brains, I realize you are not the brightest tools in the shed.

By the way I see you are busy trying to tell a State you don't live in, what to do. How very liberal of you.

Stop making excuses for your party. The GOP almost has a super majority.

Tesla Rides High, But Faces Formidable Foe: Car Dealers : NPR

Battles Emerge State By State

A bill being considered in North Carolina, where there are currently 80 Teslas on the road and another 60 expected, would prevent the company from selling vehicles online. In Virginia, the state denied the company a dealer license to open a store.

Texas lawmakers are expected to ignore an effort by Tesla to gain an exception to strict franchise laws that prohibit factory-owned dealerships. Last year, there were only 43 registered Teslas in the state.

In both Massachusetts and New York, legal efforts by franchise dealers to block Tesla's efforts were rejected — including attempts to shut down three Tesla stores and two service centers in New York.

Wrote New York Supreme Court Justice Raymond J. Elliott III: "Dealers cannot utilize the Franchised Dealer Act as a means to sue their competitors."

An effort in Minnesota to rewrite franchise law to prevent vehicle manufacturers from operating a dealership died in the Legislature.

But these are expected to be the early rounds.

The franchise fight in Massachusetts has moved to the Legislature. Minnesota dealers plan to submit new legislation next year. And there are also private battles about which O'Connell declined to elaborate.

its not just N Carolina ...

And yet I always hear Republicans saying how they are the party of small government and free enterprise.

the Dealers seem to have a ready audience with the Red States via the Rs.

It's not that we are trying to "tell another state what to do," rather, we are concerned with the infringement upon rights of businesses, and the hypocrisy that the GOP exerts. Businesses should have the freedom to sell to whoever they want, without having to go through a 3rd party. Forcing a company to sell through a third party is not freedom. And it sure in the hell isn't free-market capitalism, and limited government involvement, which is what the GOP "claims" they are about.

Now just wait a minute...

Wasn't the Left just cheering the President and Democrat Controlled Senate who just pushed through and voted for a bill that would "level" the playing field by having sales taxes being collected on internet sales?

That is basically what this bill is doing, level the playing field by not allowing a car company to make direct sales, but have to sell through distributors just as the other car companies have to do.

Why should Tesla be able to by pass that expense, giving them an unfair advantage over the other companies?

Wasn't the Left just cheering the President and Democrat Controlled Senate who just pushed through and voted for a bill that would "level" the playing field by having sales taxes being collected on internet sales?

That is basically what this bill is doing, level the playing field by not allowing a car company to make direct sales, but have to sell through distributors just as the other car companies have to do.

Why should Tesla be able to by pass that expense, giving them an unfair advantage over the other companies?

I opposed the Internet Sales Tax legislation as well. I am consistent in my beliefs. The Republican Party isn't, or they're just liars, which is it?

I opposed the Internet Sales Tax legislation as well. I am consistent in my beliefs. The Republican Party isn't, or they're just liars, which is it?

I feel the same damn way you do. The republicans do some real shit sometimes.:evil:

Show me where those Republicans voted or spoke out against the Internet Sales Tax.

Only 27 Republicans voted against it in the Senate. Senate passes Internet sales tax in final vote, 69-27 | Ars Technica

And Yes, I was and still am against the Internet Sales Tax.

Ferrari had to cut production. Many other high end sports car sales are down. Tesla sales are up & their stock tripled in the past 6 months. Tesla can recharge fully for 300 miles in 1 hour, or 30 minutes for every 150 miles. 2.5 hours of driving 150 miles & stopping for 30 minutes is the normal cadence of a trip. Tesla gives you free recharging & lifetime battery warranty. That saves you $40k in gas at current rates.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back