North Carolina Republicans Trying to Ban Tesla Sales

And yet I always hear Republicans saying how they are the party of small government and free enterprise. :eusa_whistle:

From the state that brought you the nation’s first ban on climate science comes another legislative gem: a bill that would prohibit automakers from selling their cars in the state.

The proposal, which the Raleigh News & Observer reports was unanimously approved by the state’s Senate Commerce Committee on Thursday, would apply to all car manufacturers, but the intended target is clear. It’s aimed at Tesla, the only U.S. automaker whose business model relies on selling cars directly to consumers, rather than through a network of third-party dealerships.

The bill is being pushed by the North Carolina Automobile Dealers Association, a trade group representing the state’s franchised dealerships. Its sponsor is state Sen. Tom Apodaca, a Republican from Henderson, who has said the goal is to prevent unfair competition between manufacturers and dealers. What makes it “unfair competition” as opposed to plain-old “competition”—something Republicans are typically inclined to favor—is not entirely clear. After all, North Carolina doesn’t seem to have a problem with Apple selling its computers online or via its own Apple Stores.

North Carolina Tesla ban? Bill would prevent "unfair competition" with car dealerships.

... Only when it benefits them.

You can thank conservative run dealers unions for that. They want to force the middleman into the equation and make it required by law to do so. They want a piece of that pie, or $$$ in their pocket too.

Did you know that vehicles could be $2,000-$4,000+ less if we didn't have to deal with dealer bullshit?

So it only adds 5% to the price of the car, much less than I pay in sales tax for a car.

Ferrari had to cut production. Many other high end sports car sales are down. Tesla sales are up & their stock tripled in the past 6 months. Tesla can recharge fully for 300 miles in 1 hour, or 30 minutes for every 150 miles. 2.5 hours of driving 150 miles & stopping for 30 minutes is the normal cadence of a trip. Tesla gives you free recharging & lifetime battery warranty. That saves you $40k in gas at current rates.

So if I was to drive from Seattle, Wa to Los Angeles, Ca, how much time would it take. I normally start out early in the morning and get to LA by late evening that same day. How would that work for me?

Now just wait a minute...

Wasn't the Left just cheering the President and Democrat Controlled Senate who just pushed through and voted for a bill that would "level" the playing field by having sales taxes being collected on internet sales?

That is basically what this bill is doing, level the playing field by not allowing a car company to make direct sales, but have to sell through distributors just as the other car companies have to do.

Why should Tesla be able to by pass that expense, giving them an unfair advantage over the other companies?

If brick-and-mortar business have been established, as well as laws saying they must charge a sales tax on every purchase, how is it just to not apply the same laws to Internet businesses? If we have established that all business must enforce a sales tax, why not Internet businesses too? That was a tax loophole in the system, and it has taken a while for the law to catch up with the web. Is that not what we have been bitching about for a while now, fixing our tax codes?

Tesla stock (TSLA) was $25 a few months ago. Their stock just hit $97 this week. That is nearly a 400% increase. Tesla just became the first company to pay back all their government DOE loan.

Who in North Carolina could afford 70 Grand to buy a silly little car that has to take a 6 hour nap every 250 miles?

What? That car is awsome for a 4th or 5th car in someone's car stable. Guess you thought the likes of 3/4th of Nascar drivers who live in North Carolina or the the likes of the late Andy Griffin were just poor folks..

It's not the governments job to protect one business model, or protect a business sector UNLESS it affects national security.

If middlemen get pushed out by direct marketing, that's unfortunate, but also unavoidable.

What have Republicans been saying for 5 years? "It's not the governments job to pick winners and losers!"

The Republican's in NC need a reminder that it's not state governments job either.

Well, you are missing what is causing the problem.

The middleman is LOBBYING politicians to enact these laws. You know, the conservative circlejerk?

Get rid of the lobbying and your basic laws won't change.

very true, but the middlemen also got auto insurance required, which is a scam, since if I'm hit by an uninsured driver, MY premiums go up, wtf????????????

It's not the governments job to protect one business model, or protect a business sector UNLESS it affects national security.

If middlemen get pushed out by direct marketing, that's unfortunate, but also unavoidable.

What have Republicans been saying for 5 years? "It's not the governments job to pick winners and losers!"

The Republican's in NC need a reminder that it's not state governments job either.

Well, you are missing what is causing the problem.

The middleman is LOBBYING politicians to enact these laws. You know, the conservative circlejerk?

Get rid of the lobbying and your basic laws won't change.

very true, but the middlemen also got auto insurance required, which is a scam, since if I'm hit by an uninsured driver, MY premiums go up, wtf????????????

have to learn how to drive on the deffense not offense. no such thing as a car "accident" and yup car insurance is a scam....I swear to god sometimes I just want to hit a dude in a corvette talking on his cell phone, just to get my moneys worth out of the $1000's of dollars I was forced to spend on that crap over the years.

Forum List

Back