Nobodies unemployment rate has a 1.2 trillion dollar failed stimulus in it, but 1

2001 Recession

It lasted eight months (March-November 2001). It was caused by the Y2K scare, which created a boom and subsequent bust in Internet businesses. It was aggravated by the 9/11 attack. The economy contracted in two quarters: Q1 -1.3% (-.5%) and Q3 -1.1% (-1.4%). Unemployment reached 5.7% during the recession, but rose even further to 6% in June 2003. This often happens in recessions, as unemployment is a lagging indicator. Most employers wait until they are sure the economy is back on its feet again before hiring permanent employees.

You once again turn to unrelated numbers to disprove simple facts. I said Nominal GDP. you quoted real GDP. I can't be held accountable if you don't know the difference.

This should take care of jobs lost, never did we hit 700k a month until after BHO was elected
2007...... 137,598 115,380 22,233 724 7,630 13,879
2008...... 136,790 114,281 21,334 767 7,162 13,406
2009...... 130,807 108,252 18,557 694 6,016 11,847

2010...... 129,818 107,337 17,755 705 5,526 11,524
I said before he took office. Once again, you qoute unrelated facts to disprove a simple fact. The economy lost 802,000 jobs in November of 2008. It lost 820,000 the month he took office (Jan, 2009).

By march, the losses had stabilized and begun to improve - and by march of the following year we were creating 192,000 jobs.

Of course, for a guy who claims the president isn't responsible you're sure working awfully hard to claim the president is responsible.

Not at all
My point here is 100% about the debt we have taken on in 24 months
we compare presidents
we talk about policy
and the media put ol W in a place that Obama and history will correct
This massive job loss would be in the same place without all of this debt
Tarp with the exception of The items Obama used it for as as well as maybe AIG is going to be paid back
The bleeding was stopped when congress and W put there 350 billion dollar fire wall up, November 2008
Thats it

The bleeding stopped? We lost over 500K jobs per month for months after that, and GDP declined at an annualized 7% rate after.

You once again turn to unrelated numbers to disprove simple facts. I said Nominal GDP. you quoted real GDP. I can't be held accountable if you don't know the difference.

I said before he took office. Once again, you qoute unrelated facts to disprove a simple fact. The economy lost 802,000 jobs in November of 2008. It lost 820,000 the month he took office (Jan, 2009).

By march, the losses had stabilized and begun to improve - and by march of the following year we were creating 192,000 jobs.

Of course, for a guy who claims the president isn't responsible you're sure working awfully hard to claim the president is responsible.

Not at all
we compare presidents
we talk about policy
Tarp with the exception of The items Obama used it for as as well as maybe AIG is going to be paid back
The bleeding was stopped when congress and W put there 350 billion dollar fire wall up, November 2008
Thats it

The bleeding stopped? We lost over 500K jobs per month for months after that, and GDP declined at an annualized 7% rate after.

I do not dis agree with your facts,
Your making my points for me
Nothing could be done to stop the job loss except to have had another sector for those people to fall back on
Like shale oil/crude oil
the "bleeding" was about to take the entire country down, there was no saving the housing market
Tarp prevented the housing bubble burst from taking down the entire financial sector with it

TARP was necessary to save the economy from collapse. Letting the banks fail was not the right thing to do and it would have led to a Great Depression. TARP and all of the other government efforts in the fall of 2008 did unfreeze the credit markets. Every single credit indicator (LIBOR, TED spread, A2/P2 spread, intra-bank lending, etc) shows that the markets have significantly unfrozen. The major banks have now passed their stress tests, and they are able to raise capital through the public markets. The American economy survived without a depression. There was no wholesale meltdown of the U.S. banking system. The big banks did not fail.
The taxpayers could still lose $12 to $20 billion on the money given to AIG. That is disappointing, but it is big improvement from a few months ago. AIG received $182 billion from the Federal Reserve and the Treasury.
Many thought the taxpayers were going to get stuck for over $100 billion, but AIG has been rapidly selling assets and the loss will be far less than what was once believed. The real outrage is that AIG lost $98 billion in 2008 but that did not stop them from paying large bonuses after they received the balout money.
President Obama went well beyond TARP with his $787 stimulus in February of 2009. The Stimulus bill includes tax cuts but they are not the type that spur the economy. The economic model of the stimulus bill assumes every $1 of government spending increases the economy by $1.60. By that logic, debt-ridden, big-government countries like Italy, France and Germany should be wealthier than America. Not one House Republican voted for the final stimulus package, which is remarkable.
The moderates did not support it because it was too big, too porky, and hardly stimulative at all. It also wiped out many of Bill Clinton’s excellent welfare reform laws. We did see deficit reduction and economic growth in the late 1990′s.
Bill Clinton and a Republican Congress worked together. They agreed to restore a lower tax rate on capital gains and virtually eliminate capital gains taxes on owner-occupied housing. The galloping economy then reduced the deficit by a record level.
The Bush Deficit, the Clinton Surplus and TARP by Gregory Hilton | The DC World Affairs Blog

Not at all
we compare presidents
we talk about policy
Thats it

Nothing could be done to stop the job loss except to have had another sector for those people to fall back on
Like shale oil/crude oil
the "bleeding" was about to take the entire country down, there was no saving the housing market
Tarp prevented the housing bubble burst from taking down the entire financial sector with it

TARP was necessary to save the economy from collapse. Letting the banks fail was not the right thing to do and it would have led to a Great Depression. TARP and all of the other government efforts in the fall of 2008 did unfreeze the credit markets. Every single credit indicator (LIBOR, TED spread, A2/P2 spread, intra-bank lending, etc) shows that the markets have significantly unfrozen. The major banks have now passed their stress tests, and they are able to raise capital through the public markets. The American economy survived without a depression. There was no wholesale meltdown of the U.S. banking system. The big banks did not fail.
The taxpayers could still lose $12 to $20 billion on the money given to AIG. That is disappointing, but it is big improvement from a few months ago. AIG received $182 billion from the Federal Reserve and the Treasury.
Many thought the taxpayers were going to get stuck for over $100 billion, but AIG has been rapidly selling assets and the loss will be far less than what was once believed. The real outrage is that AIG lost $98 billion in 2008 but that did not stop them from paying large bonuses after they received the balout money.
President Obama went well beyond TARP with his $787 stimulus in February of 2009. The Stimulus bill includes tax cuts but they are not the type that spur the economy. The economic model of the stimulus bill assumes every $1 of government spending increases the economy by $1.60. By that logic, debt-ridden, big-government countries like Italy, France and Germany should be wealthier than America. Not one House Republican voted for the final stimulus package, which is remarkable.
The moderates did not support it because it was too big, too porky, and hardly stimulative at all. It also wiped out many of Bill Clinton’s excellent welfare reform laws. We did see deficit reduction and economic growth in the late 1990′s.
Bill Clinton and a Republican Congress worked together. They agreed to restore a lower tax rate on capital gains and virtually eliminate capital gains taxes on owner-occupied housing. The galloping economy then reduced the deficit by a record level.
The Bush Deficit, the Clinton Surplus and TARP by Gregory Hilton | The DC World Affairs Blog

Help me out here - and try explainging in your own words instead of copying a blog:

If payroll tax cuts and hiring tax cuts aren't the "type that spur the economy", what exactly would you suggest?

A payroll tax cut is probably the single most effective tax-cut for economic stimulus.

Like shale oil/crude oil

Help me out here - and try explainging in your own words instead of copying a blog:

If payroll tax cuts and hiring tax cuts aren't the "type that spur the economy", what exactly would you suggest?

A payroll tax cut is probably the single most effective tax-cut for economic stimulus.

Clinton's tax rate was fine with me
but
GWB tax rate allowed me to put 3000.00-5000.00 more dollars a year in my pocket and i am by no means rich
Clinton and the GOP congress finished the start that Reagan began in the 80s to pump the free market up the moon
Glass Segall was one of these events
So was the De regulation of the electrical providers
De-regulation of the Electric Power Industry - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com
These events created opportunities, they created jobs
I can have a tax rate that will allow me to keep more of my bring home pay and we can create 20 million jobs as we did in the 80s
We as a country can add to that de regulation (within reason of course) and as with Clinton and Newt we can create another 20 million jobs
GWB did the right thing, My ability to work when I choose to, keep another 3-5000 a year so i could use that wealth with millions of other people and create even more jobs

Along came the election of 2000
9-11, and I mean 9-11 is the very reason we are here today
the fed lowering the amount it charges in conjunction with Glass segall created the perfect storm

Any-way we have as a country stopped the very thing we need to have jobs, opportunity

Look at what lower taxes along with smart de regulation did for us from 85-07
it got us thru 9-11 with the fed doing what they did and Ws tax rate kicking in in 03
one blip, a serious blip that has now turned into a mess
a mess that with other opportunities such as oil production/shale/nuke power/etc... it would have been a blip, thats all
again look at the UE rate of the states who have friendly laws and support those industries and look at Florida, Nevada, California, etc....

Obama in a matter of weeks transformed 30 years of work into a third world country that depends on the UN to feed it, well for about 10 million of us any-way
By the time he got his Obama care bill passed this country, its 30 year run of prosperity that Reagan, GWB-1 Clinton as well as GWB 2 had created was destroyed
and its gone
the reason he spent 5 trillion dollars we do not have is to raise taxes, to re-create a socitey that has to depend on the govt to feed it
the reason he shut down the oil in the gulf and will not even talk about what there doing in Canada ( we had voted in 08 to start doing) is, well you tell why he is doing it?
gas was 1.70 a gallon Jan 2009
its 4.00 now

Well, I guess we can make it official: You DO think the President controls the economy.

Third world country? Holy shit that's stupid. We're the most prosperous nation on earth. If you think the US is third world, I'd suggest you try visiting a third world country.

I'm done watching you talk in circles and move goalposts.

Well, I guess we can make it official: You DO think the President controls the economy.

Third world country? Holy shit that's stupid. We're the most prosperous nation on earth. If you think the US is third world, I'd suggest you try visiting a third world country.

No whats happened is it got to a point in which you can no longer justify why anyone would support this insanity
Prosperous?
20% of this country is un employed or under employed
never mind

Choke the economy: yes
Create jobs by printing money? no
Create wealth by taking more wealth? no

Yes the govt can and has done allot of harm

Last edited:
Obama got 1/2 of tarp also
people keep trying to compare Obama to Reagan and Jr
You cannot

GWB had a stimulus also, he gave it back to the tax payer and for close to 100% of his 8 years UE was below 6%, some below 5
Reagan's did get over 10, but he created close to 20 million jobs before it was over and did it with a deficit that had 2 recessions and re building the military, that was also about the same in 8 years BHO is for1
The Reagan Information Page:Job Creation
One of the strongest features of the Reagan expansion was the job creation numbers. Almost 20 million jobs were created in just seven years. And contrary to popular mythology, most of those jobs paid at least $10/hour. Part of that myth is that service sector jobs equal low paying jobs. However, that is not the case, as even critics of Reagan are now admitting. In fact, the overall job statistics show the Reagan expansion to be one of the best ever.
tarp:
TARP Vote: Obama Wins, Senate Effectively Approves $350 Billion
Michael J. Boskin: Why the Spending Stimulus Failed - WSJ.com

I see you're conveniently forgetting that:

1. Bush's plan didn't create any significant number of jobs (all that money that went to the rich wasn't used for job creation - never is.)
2. The unemployment rate balooned before Bush left office and continued to boom before Obama's stimulus stabalized it at around 10.

You guys have such a disdain for the 'whole story' that it becomes hypocritical.

Obama got 1/2 of tarp also
people keep trying to compare Obama to Reagan and Jr
You cannot

GWB had a stimulus also, he gave it back to the tax payer and for close to 100% of his 8 years UE was below 6%, some below 5
Reagan's did get over 10, but he created close to 20 million jobs before it was over and did it with a deficit that had 2 recessions and re building the military, that was also about the same in 8 years BHO is for1
The Reagan Information Page:Job Creation
One of the strongest features of the Reagan expansion was the job creation numbers. Almost 20 million jobs were created in just seven years. And contrary to popular mythology, most of those jobs paid at least $10/hour. Part of that myth is that service sector jobs equal low paying jobs. However, that is not the case, as even critics of Reagan are now admitting. In fact, the overall job statistics show the Reagan expansion to be one of the best ever.
tarp:
TARP Vote: Obama Wins, Senate Effectively Approves $350 Billion
Michael J. Boskin: Why the Spending Stimulus Failed - WSJ.com

I see you're conveniently forgetting that:

1. Bush's plan didn't create any significant number of jobs (all that money that went to the rich wasn't used for job creation - never is.)
2. The unemployment rate balooned before Bush left office and continued to boom before Obama's stimulus stabalized it at around 10.

You guys have such a disdain for the 'whole story' that it becomes hypocritical.

Its funny you would say that
That is the entire story
your comparing Ws UE rate with no 1.2 trillion dollar stimulus in it with Obamas who has this 1.2 trillion dollar stimulus in it, in a matter of weeks
a 4 trillion dollar deficit in a matter of months

Your comparing one with 2 wars, 9-11, 6 major hurricanes, 2 recessions as well as the total deficit of 1/2 of what the other has added in 2 years, oh yea about 400 billion of that was in the form of tax rebates. thank you Mr Bush

and what exactly did Obama do to stabilize it?
Tarp was done in 2008, most of it except what Obama gave the union have been paid back
his shovel ready stimulus was in March of 2009
He has went thru 4 trillion dollars we do not have sense then

This is not personal, its like 8927 up there, you libs just do not get it. This man has taken 30 years of hard work, to include what Clinton did in the 90s and threw it out in months

By the way, what money to the rich? you saying that a person who pays 35% in income tax instead of 37% is being give money?

Last edited:

No whats happened is it got to a point in which you can no longer justify why anyone would support this insanity
Prosperous?
never mind

Yes, prosperous. We're the richest and most powerful nation on earth. We were such before Obama took office and we remain so today.

Never have I seen so many people cheering for failure. Pathetic.

goalposts.jpg

Prosperous?
never mind

Yes, prosperous. We're the richest and most powerful nation on earth. We were such before Obama took office and we remain so today.

goalposts.jpg

To start with who is cheering for failure?
You know all I have done here to hurt your feelings is provide accurate information except the comment of the third world country
Cheering for failure?
are you kidding me?
Dude that is what is wrong with our country today. You cannot sort thru information that is accurate and is without spin without getting your feelings hurt. So many were told for so long how fu---ed up Bush was and how great it was going to be without him
Well you was lied to and you do not like it
Moving the gold post?
My original thread was simple
you cannot compare any president in our great history with Obama
NO-ONE and I mean NO-ONE has borrowed 4-5 trillion dollars in mere months in this countries history
for what?
can you tell me what is as for?
Moving the target? the target is the same
Its just information. Stop taking it personal and vote for the one the next time who has actually held a real job before

My friend, this is nothing more than information
Obama has failed all ready

Prosperous?
never mind

goalposts.jpg

You know all I have done here to hurt your feelings is provide accurate information except the comment of the third world country

Right, claiming that president's don't control the economy, then blaming Obama for a recession he inherited and claiming Bush's actions in 2001 improved the economy is "providing accurate information"!

Dude that is what is wrong with our country today. You cannot sort thru information that is accurate and is without spin without getting your feelings hurt.

No, "dude", the problem with this country is that people try to pass off inaccurate cut and paste jobs as accurate, nonbiased information.

goalposts.jpg

Right, claiming that president's don't control the economy, then blaming Obama for a recession he inherited and claiming Bush's actions in 2001 improved the economy is "providing accurate information"!

Dude that is what is wrong with our country today. You cannot sort thru information that is accurate and is without spin without getting your feelings hurt.

No, "dude", the problem with this country is that people try to pass off inaccurate cut and paste jobs as accurate, nonbiased information.

Ok, what information is not accurate
Sorry about the "dude"

Ok, what information is not accurate?

"20% of this country is un employed or under employed"
Even the broadest measures of labor underutilization put the figure at 15.7%.

"a 4 trillion dollar deficit in a matter of months"
There have been no 4T deficits. The largest deficit was Bush's last budget year at around 1.5T.

"Obama in a matter of weeks transformed 30 years of work into a third world country that depends on the UN to feed it,"
We are still the richest nation on earth, and we don't depend on the UN to feed us.

"The bleeding was stopped when congress and W put there 350 billion dollar fire wall up, November 2008"

The bleeding did not stop in November 2008. In fact, the most severe job losses came in the two months that followed and GDP bottomed out well after that.

That's just looking back 30 posts, which is as far as I have time for right now.

There have been no 4T deficits. The largest deficit was Bush's last budget year at around 1.5T.

"Obama in a matter of weeks transformed 30 years of work into a third world country that depends on the UN to feed it,"
We are still the richest nation on earth, and we don't depend on the UN to feed us.

"The bleeding was stopped when congress and W put there 350 billion dollar fire wall up, November 2008"

The bleeding did not stop in November 2008. In fact, the most severe job losses came in the two months that followed and GDP bottomed out well after that.

That's just looking back 30 posts, which is as far as I have time for right now.

The government changed the unemployment stats to exclude long term discouraged workers. Shadow Stats accounts for this change by adding them back.

Under and unemployment is over 20%. (And, really, do you think 15.7% is GOOD?)

Alternate Unemployment Charts

The government changed the unemployment stats to exclude long term discouraged workers.

That's just quite simply not true. The only change to the manner in which unemployment is calculate was a reorganizing of the U1-U5 into a system including U6 (which made U3 comparable to U5 of old) done many years ago.

Recent unemployment surveys have been augmented to include more information on the long-term unemployed, but that does not impact the calculations of u1-6

goalposts.jpg

what information have I supplied to you that is in accurate?
I never blamed Obama for anything
Facts prove that GWB did improve the economy until 2008. The events of 2008 had nothing to do with GWB nor his policies
I ask again
what have I lied to anyone about

You're kidding, right? Have you read your own posts?

Blame?
thats just information sir
Underemployment Rises to 20.3% in March
that takes care of the 20%
You keep talking about tarp like it was suppose to stop the job loss, we were losing trillions in the stock market and the bleeding I am talking about is having $10,000 in a bank that has lost it, and that the US govt who backs it does not enough to cover it
Tarp was not about jobs
Keep looking
and good luck, I hate it for you but denial is not a river in egypt

Blame?
thats just information sir
Underemployment Rises to 20.3% in March
that takes care of the 20%
You keep talking about tarp like it was suppose to stop the job loss, we were losing trillions in the stock market and the bleeding I am talking about is having $10,000 in a bank that has lost it, and that the US govt who backs it does not enough to cover it
Tarp was not about jobs
Keep looking
and good luck, I hate it for you but denial is not a river in egypt

When tit came to the comment with the 30 years of work, its just true
There is where the liberal mind cannot grasp information
Regan
Bush 1
Clinton
Bush 2

all Did good and all made mistakes, but none of them printed money just to be printing money

Forum List

Back