No Special Priveleges Jail Privileges For Ferguson Rioters

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
If I were the Sheriff of St. Louis County I would see to it the the Ferguson rioters really regret breaking the law there. I would deny them the comforts of pillows, blankets, TV, radio, stereos of any kind, computers, books and magazines.

They also should not be allowed cell phones or the use of any phones of any kind. They also should not be allowed to send or receive mail or have any visitors.

They should also be required to do some kind of hard work, without any pay for it. If there is work outside needed to be done they should wear ball & chain to insure they can't escape.

If I were the Sheriff of St. Louis County I would see to it the the Ferguson rioters really regret breaking the law there. I would deny them the comforts of pillows, blankets, TV, radio, stereos of any kind, computers, books and magazines.

They also should not be allowed cell phones or the use of any phones of any kind. They also should not be allowed to send or receive mail or have any visitors.

They should also be required to do some kind of hard work, without any pay for it. If there is work outside needed to be done they should wear ball & chain to insure they can't escape.
How forcing them, chain gang style, to REPAIR all the crap they destroyed.

You realize they might send them to a private prison that charges the state 2x or 3x as much to house them as a public prison, then use the prisoners as a cheap slave labor force, right?

The prison system is no longer about keeping America safe, or even punishment - most of the time it is about making money off human misery and creating even worse criminals that they can imprison again for greater profit.

How forcing them, chain gang style, to REPAIR all the crap they destroyed.
That's an excellent idea. That is what they should do first. with lots of media cameras on them doing it.

You realize they might send them to a private prison that charges the state 2x or 3x as much to house them as a public prison, then use the prisoners as a cheap slave labor force, right?

The prison system is no longer about keeping America safe, or even punishment - most of the time it is about making money off human misery and creating even worse criminals that they can imprison again for greater profit.
No I DON'T realize that. In fact, I doubt that relatively very many of them have committed felonies such that they would be sent to a state prison. I think the overwhelming majority of them are charged with misdemeanors (curfew violation, creating a disturbance, etc), which entail only county jail confinement.

Also, I see some value judgement statements in your post ("most"; "creating"; "worse"; " greater"; "2X or 3X") Do you have link sources upon which to base these statements ?

Last edited:

No I DON'T realize that. In fact, I doubt that relatively very many of them have committed felonies such that they would be sent to a state prison. I think the overwhelming majority of them are charged with misdemeanors (curfew violation, creating a disturbance, etc), which entail only county jail confinement.
In which case all the punishments you are suggesting are ridiculously heavy-handed and would just make them more agitated, angry or dangerous. Don't see the point in creating more dangerous criminals.

In which case all the punishments you are suggesting are ridiculously heavy-handed and would just make them more agitated, angry or dangerous. Don't see the point in creating more dangerous criminals.
The point is to make them REMEMBER their jail stay, for a long time, and be all the more cautious to not allow themselves to have to return there. if you touch a hot stove, you don't touch it any more after that. Get it ?

Not really true. Perhaps some but not all.

Another thing I would change is allowing inmates to have regular food. To hell with that. Why should taxpayers pay to give these bums good food ? I'd give then a steady diet of one thing > Bread & water. Nothing else.

Yes, and those "private" prisons cost taxpayers a mint.

Entirely true, some day America will have so many prisoners it will cost more than the entire US welfare budget to keep them all in prison. A testament to the failing war on drugs, and whatever else.

The obsession with incarceration over rehabilitation has created a mess. The great wars are over, so you can't send them to fight, and the moment most of them get a black mark on their name they can never get a job again.

But keep pushing for more prisons by all means, it will create employment for people as prison guards, and help the construction industry. Everything will be fine until the country starts losing out economically against China, because the US has to spend vast sums of money that it doesn't have.

Entirely true, some day America will have so many prisoners it will cost more than the entire US welfare budget to keep them all in prison. A testament to the failing war on drugs, and whatever else.

The obsession with incarceration over rehabilitation has created a mess. The great wars are over, so you can't send them to fight, and the moment most of them get a black mark on their name they can never get a job again.

But keep pushing for more prisons by all means, it will create employment for people as prison guards, and help the construction industry. Everything will be fine until the country starts losing out economically against China, because the US has to spend vast sums of money that it doesn't have.

Florida law since the CPC states punishment is the primary goal of the prison system. Bush & Scott both want private prisons to turn profits.

You clearly have no idea what happens with prisoners in prison.

Most prisons have mandatory education, work & rehabilitation programs that every prisoner is required to participate in.

Your political view of the situation has no bearing on the reality behind the walls.

Bread and water is not a good idea. Making them raise their own crops and raise their own meat supply IS a good idea.

You clearly have no idea what happens with prisoners in prison.

Most prisons have mandatory education, work & rehabilitation programs that every prisoner is required to participate in.

Your political view of the situation has no bearing on the reality behind the walls.
I do know what happens in prisons, the rehabilitation programs they do have are painfully inadequate.

It is possible to get educated while in prison, but success rates aren't any higher than outside. So most that come out don't get anything from it, except psychologically (where they either decide to better themselves or just become better criminals).

Also no matter how hard the staff in prisons may work, they are under resourced. If you compare prisons in the US to those in Europe or even Canada you can see the difference that more funding for rehabilitation makes.

As for the work programs, they are hardly a key to work outside prison as they often involve doing tasks for a company for payment far below the minimum wage, kinda like how illegal immigrant wages undercut minimum wage Americans.

Florida law since the CPC states punishment is the primary goal of the prison system. Bush & Scott both want private prisons to turn profits.
Yep, make more money out of inequality and poverty by pushing everyone into prison that can't afford a high quality law firm. I don't agree that the rioters should be locked up and treated differently, looks like some want revenge rather than justice.

I don't think you are as knowledgeable on the subject as you think you are.

Florida now focuses on punishment, when my father worked at DOC, he spent sometime overseeing the prison library, I donated things and got a few friends to do so also. Now, there isn't one in a large CI he worked at. And no Internet access for inmates. Yes, there was significant abuse of access when allowed; I wish the DOC had the financial ability to screen inmates so some who used it to LEARN could, but DOC's budget priority is assisting the private prisons 'operate', though one was never completed, and a couple others need additional work to be safe for those working inside, and the public. The State has to pick up the tab, though some investors are making a fortune.

Forum List

Back