Obama 48, McCain 47

North Carolina
McCain 49, Obama 48

Ohio
Obama 49, McCain 45

Virginia
Obama 51, McCain 47

From FiveThirtyEight.com: Electoral Projections Done Right

John McCain is making no progress in his pursuit of the White House. Our model now projects Barack Obama to win 351 electoral votes to John McCain's 187, and to win the Electoral College 96.7 percent of the time to McCain's 3.3 percent. Both numbers are unchanged from yesterday.

Let's take a look at the polls, and then run through a couple of big-picture themes:

2978969093_4abd305746_o.png

Theme #1. If the national polls are tightening, there is no evidence of it in the state numbers. If the national tracking polls moved at all today, they moved slightly in McCain's direction, as he gained ground in the Rasmussen and Research 2000 polls, whereas the other six trackers were essentially flat. However, there has really been no sign of tightening in the state polls.

Our model places more emphasis on state polling, and there's a pretty good reason why: they give us a lot more data to look at. Today's for instance, there were 3,539 "fresh" interviews conducted (e.g. those that were not already accounted for in previous' days tracking polls) between eight national polls that we added to our database. By contrast, there were 22,881 fresh interviews conducted between 31 new state polls.

If the state polls aren't showing movement toward McCain, then it is probably the case that any perceived movement in the national polls is sampling noise. If anything, in fact, the state polls are showing movement toward Obama on balance, not just in battleground states like Virginia, but also in non-battlegrounds as diverse as New York, Oklahoma, Oregon and Arizona.

Theme #2. Obama has begun to run up the score in some non-battlegrounds. Polls in states like Washington, New York and California are now showing very large leads for Barack Obama. As some of these states have large populations, they are providing a bit of cushion to Obama in his popular vote margin. To a lesser extent, Barack Obama has also gained ground in some red states like Arizona and Georgia. As a result, whereas for the past several weeks we had shown Obama as being more likely to win the Electoral College while losing the popular vote, those probabilities have now begun to equalize themselves -- his popular vote was not quite as efficiently distributed as it was before.

Theme #3. We are approaching a pollster consensus in some battlegrounds. In certain states, the range of the polls has narrowed. Missouri and North Carolina now look like true toss-ups. Florida looks like a toss-up, leaning Obama. Ohio and Nevada lean clearly toward Obama, but McCain remains within striking distance. Colorado and Virginia lean more strongly toward Obama, and McCain may or may not be within striking distance. Pennsylvania has failed to tighten materially, and is probably not within striking distance. Likewise, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa appear safe for Obama.

States where there is a bit more disagreement are Indiana and New Hampshire. The former can be described as a toss-up and the latter as a lean Obama state, but the range of polling is wider than in most other states. Meanwhile, there has been relatively little polling of New Mexico, and it is hard to tell whether McCain is viable there or not.

Rasmussen Reports
10/26/08; 1,000 LV, 3.5%
Mode: IVR
(source)

Colorado
Obama 50, McCain 46

Florida
Obama 51, McCain 47

Missouri
Obama 48, McCain 47

North Carolina
McCain 49, Obama 48

Ohio
Obama 49, McCain 45

Virginia
Obama 51, McCain 47

From FiveThirtyEight.com: Electoral Projections Done Right

Oh give it 5 minutes and we can all flip out about the new and improved poll numbers----I can't believe people actually follow this shit. :cuckoo:

McCain is doing well in those small towns with good people.....the real America.

The problem is most Americans live in big cities with good people and real problems, not some Andy Griffith Show fantasy.

By the way, Andy Griffith is for Obama....

McCain is doing well in those small towns with good people.....the real America.

The problem is most Americans live in big cities with good people and real problems, not some Andy Griffith Show fantasy.

By the way, Andy Griffith is for Obama....

and Aunt Bea too ???

How about Goober ?--any word on an endorsement yet ?

As the election nears, Ron Howard is getting desperate.

In a video posted Thursday on Funnyordie.com, the actor-turned-director reprises his role on "The Andy Griffith Show" as a way to rally support for Barack Obama.

While speaking into the camera, Howard has his beard shaved, dons a youthful red wig and puts on the kind of outfit he would have only worn as Opie Taylor in the `60s.

"I've never done this before and I hope never to do it again, but I guess you could say I'm feeling pretty desperate these days," explains Howard. "So as a demonstration of my sincerity, this is for you America."

Then, in black-and-white, Howard sits down in the woods to talk to "Pa": Andy Griffith. Griffith advises Howard-as-Opie that he'll be able to vote someday, so long as he eludes the butterfly ballot.

That's not the only old TV show revisited by Howard, who years ago traded child stardom for directing movies like "A Beautiful Mind" and this fall's "Frost/Nixon."

Another wardrobe change prepares him to step back into "Happy Days," the beloved show that ran from 1974-1984 in which Howard played Richie Cunningham.

Standing in front of a vintage car and clad in a leather jacket is Henry Winkler, once again with the unmistakable coif — and greaser demeanor — of the Fonze. Winkler, still having some trouble with his pronunciation, tells Howard this election is everyone's chance to right a wr-wr-wrong.

Stepping back out of character, Howard says he, Griffith and Winkler returned to their television roots to urge support for Obama and "really think through this important election."

The video is the latest clip from FunnyOrDie.com, which has made news this election season by putting Hollywood celebrities in funny political videos. The site, which was co-founded by Will Ferrell and Adam McKay, has produced popular videos featuring Paris Hilton in a mock campaign ad and Gina Gershon as Sarah Palin.

The Associated Press: Latest Obama advocates: Opie, Andy Griffith, Fonz

Point five (0.5) percent outside the margin of error? Not exactly a ringing endorsement, especially considering the wind at his back is approaching gale force.

Point five (0.5) percent outside the margin of error? Not exactly a ringing endorsement, especially considering the wind at his back is approaching gale force.

A 7-8 point national victory for Obama on election day would be a thundering endorsement ...

Three % MoE plus rounding.

If you are desperate for that half of a percent, I am willing to concede it. :D

.​

Last edited:
Sorry I had to put the tomato on there, I just thought that one was funny! I don't know why you bother Divecon, they just keep posting them!

Forum List

Back