no place in lower 48 states requires a survival longarm

srlip

May 5, 2014
for feeding you. YOu MIGHT need one for defense, of course, vs animals or men, but a single shot is a PATHETIC choice for that. A pocket 9mm, 1 lb Kahr CM9, will handle that, so why bother to lug around a longarm?

For the extra 3-5 lbs of a longarm and its ammo, you'd be way ahead to have some monofilament gill nets, trotlines, snares, or dried food. :)

If you are sick or wounded, how is a longarm any help (as vs that pocket pistol)? All you really have to do is keep a smoky fire burning all day, and in 3-4 days, somebody is going to come check out that fire. Presto, there's your rescue. WHY didn't you tell a couple of people where you were going, line of travel, and time of expected arrival, hmm?

Very, VERY few places in the lower 48 states can you not climb the tallest hill/tree/pole and NOT see lights at night. They are visible for 30+ miles, you know. Mark the direction of the light, and walk that way the next day. repeat as needed. You'll need water, maybe shelter and bug dope, but not a longarm. :) The lights might "just" be cars, but if you pile enough stuff on the road, cars HAVE to stop. then you make your pitch for why they should give you a ride. Having (visible) longarms is not likely to help you hitchhike, by the way. :)

Very, VERY few places in the lower 48 states can you not climb the tallest hill/tree/pole and NOT see lights at night. They are visible for 30+ miles, you know. Mark the direction of the light, and walk that way the next day. repeat as needed.

I don't think you realize how wild the wilderness can be in this lower 48.

Perhaps you need to survey this lower 48 with something like GOOGLE EARTH

As to needing a rifle?

Yeah you're probably not about that.

I don't think you realize that there's ROADS, with cars on them, within 30 miles of almost anywhere in the lower 48 states, or there's houses, etc, with LIGHTS shining at night. I don't need google to tell me, I've been walking and driving all over for decades now.

Partly it depends on what you want a weapon for. If I want to live on food I killed, I am better off with my rifle.

I am confused as to why you feel the need to convince people they don't need a single shot rifle?

I have reasons for why I like mine. That you do not like them is not particularly relevant to me.

As for why someone would carry a rifle as a survival weapon, I can think of several reasons.

I have one in my vehicle when I am out in the boonies. I also have taken one on canoe camping trips. I'm partial to my old, well-nicked Marlin lever action .44Magnum. A 20 inch barrel will almost double the ballistics of most rounds, and the Hornady LeverEvolution rounds are accurate as hell. I also always have a few .44 shot shells packs with it. Great defensive rounds for the first shot or for critter control.

I am better with a rifle than I am with a handgun. I suppose I could work at my handgun shooting more and try to even it up. But since I have the rifle(s), I don't see the need. That Marlin lets me reach out to 150 yards, if I have a good rest. Other rifles I have will reach much, much farther.

Oh, and if you are lost in the south, there is a very real danger of wild hogs. If I would trapped or wounded and had to fend one off, I would hate to have to rely on a 9mm for that.

Oh, and if you are lost in the south, there is a very real danger of wild hogs. If I would trapped or wounded and had to fend one off, I would hate to have to rely on a 9mm for that.

One of my biggest fears while out hunting is the possibility of breaking a leg 5-10 miles from my vehicle. When hunting I will be carrying the legal firearm for the season, so gun choice is not really up to me. If it's muzzleloader season, I carry that, archery season, the same, grouse, the same.

Gun choice is a small matter, when it comes to survival, you have to bring your brain. Bandages, MRE's, rope and cord, knife, hatchet, matches, flint and steel, map and compass, space blanket, something to boil water for drinking in or a water filter. That's what I will have in my pack when I am by myself.

I thought Dave Canterbury's single shot to muzzle loader conversion was great for times when you have to conserve shells.

One of my biggest fears while out hunting is the possibility of breaking a leg 5-10 miles from my vehicle. When hunting I will be carrying the legal firearm for the season, so gun choice is not really up to me. If it's muzzleloader season, I carry that, archery season, the same, grouse, the same.

Gun choice is a small matter, when it comes to survival, you have to bring your brain. Bandages, MRE's, rope and cord, knife, hatchet, matches, flint and steel, map and compass, space blanket, something to boil water for drinking in or a water filter. That's what I will have in my pack when I am by myself.

I thought Dave Canterbury's single shot to muzzle loader conversion was great for times when you have to conserve shells.

Yeah, the other survival items will matter more, in my opinion. And your own mental preparedness and knowledge will be even more important.

I am lusting after the new Ruger Gunsite rifle. At 38", it is only 2 inches beyond 3' in overall length. And a weight of 7 lbs is pretty easily carried. If the scope is damaged or I remove it, the iron sights are good. It has the power to do whatever I would need in the lower 48, plus the .308 is a very accurate round.

As I have thought more about it, I would say that the reason you are in the wilderness will determine what you carry.

Pretty much the only time I am far out in the woods alone is when I am hunting. If I am hiking or camping, I tend to be with people.

Forum List

Back