Nigerian Troops Quarantined in Liberia

TheAmerican

May 4, 2014
KM.jpg
Chief of Army Staff, Major-General Kenneth Minimah

Nigerian soldiers operating in Liberia have been quarantined following the death from Ebola of a Sudanese national inside their camp, Army authorities said in Abuja yesterday.

Ebola Nigerian troops quarantined in Liberia

I have to read up on Liberia. I don't know much about that nation.

When I get a chance, Ill let you know what I know in more detail. Ive been rushing this week. Ill be back in a couple of days.

Key things to look up:

1. Civil War
2. Charles Taylor
3. Forced Migration: There were two sets of slaves that went there, mulattos and the black slaves..one set were managers or outsourced supervisors for a plantation owner..the other group wanted to go back to Africa..The tribes didnt welcome the Americanized blacks, subsequently they both fought over land. The Americanized blacks thought thatbthe tribes would accept them and the tribes didnt want to get rid of their traditions. After awhile the tribal leaders joined the mulattos and made the other set of blacks (former slaves that wanted to escape and build the land) flee, creating a pseudo caste system that somewhat exists today. As a result, resentment emerged and the indigenous that didnt want to modernize (accept modern methods of government, equipment) and wanted to remain tribal..once they rose to power they overthrew the mulattos in the 70s. The blacks here vs the Africans there have two different stories, like Israel vs Palestine. (We had to do report after report in this class: international / global foreign policy..of course my instructor blamed the imf for destabilizing these ppl, I disagreed for the listed below, years later after the course I picked up dead aid - give it a read)

(a) Their flag
(b) Their capital - one of our presidents
(c) Their constitution crafted by either an American Jew or an Israeli Jew...not sure which one...but points a-c are to illustrate that they were under american influence initially.

Liberia is of course blaming their present day woes on this forced migration, however weve been given them aid in the 100 millions for about 10 years. The most recent report of 700 million to this country.

^ I got this info from a capstone course I took when I was in the university about 15 years ago. It is a crude version, just didnt want to leave you hanging.

My take is: after 20 yrs of aid, someone..somewhere shouldve been able to do something.

I also think imo that if their economy collapse (im including all of africa), more migration will occur. Another issue is that China is moving their populous nationals there...when Africans are pushed out, where will they go?

1. This is bad for Americans, especially us conservatives for so many reasons because they arent using the same growth model as china. And Im not too crazy about China. So, Im citing poor govt structures for Africa should be cause for alarm. China had a limit on children, some say it was intrusive, I say that it helped give them control over their former poverty rate. Loads of Africans who are living on $2.00 a day. Take Ghana for example, they should cheapen their dollar (all african countries should) so that investors could get a higher return rate - but what do they do? Their cedi is at half our dollar, but the cost of living index is the same as the US. Try googling their real estate property. When they were begging the IMF recently, I did a little research...and I found that their growth couldnt be sustained because of their cost of living. China had cheap exports - they all need to reduce their dollar value and export goods cheaper. They need population control to get a handle on their poverty. Nigeria, one of the most populous nations (120 million) continue to have 5 children median..yet their income gap is sort of like this: 80% poor and 20% rich. Their middle class is weaning. Many cant afford to live there, tribal issues create nepotism throughout.

2. Because they think white guys like me created this dark africa narrative - they just made up a narrative that is disingenuous. Those that invest in Africa now will experience the same bubble that we had here, years ago, this will affect our economy, ultimately.

They crafted a narrative - and what is the pitch? "Africas rising". And it is the biggest hoax ever because they are counting gdp, which includes debt. The middle class over there is not growing, the commodities and the population is growing. And quite frankly, the metrics are fudged because the leaders lie without fear of repercussions.

How does it affect us? IBM (theyve been there for years) are building infrastructures there..as others..falsely signaling that investment should be the next move. I mean, I get it. The potential for someone like me to have a 700 million customer base is alluring, however there is no stability. How long before their poor revolt: french revolution, anyone? Their educated class has just enough numbers to start talking to those that are stuck in poverty. Why? Because their middle class cant afford to be middle class.

The best we could do is encourage them to devalue their dollar and cost of living while we help develop infrastructure, their poor has livable wages. For a business owner that is a dream...but to them? They are not as smart as China..and theyll see it as an assault on their economy and their leadership. You basically have a bunch of chest thumping egomaniacs that think that posturing with 10 cars is it.

Check out the following presidents and check their poverty rate, before you do, remember Ghana? Mozambique is one of the most expensive countries to live. The following list is so dangerous to Goodluck Jonathan that he asked to be removed. And I believe, after studying years ago, these numbers are quite modest:

"There are 47 nations in Africa, led by different leaders who have been ruling for several decades. Some of these leaders and their families are very rich and their wealth are considered ill-gotten. They make their wealth from natural resources of these nations through the creation of companies under the names of their families. Here is a brief overview of the richest Presidents in Africa. The 9 Richest African Presidents and Kings as of 2014:

9) Robert Mugabe – Net Worth: $10 Million

Robert Mugabe is the President of Zimbabwe. His net worth is estimated to be around $10 million. The dictator’s family is very wealthy. Mugabe has won many elections, although frequently these have been criticized by outsiders for violating various electoral procedures.
via wikipedia

8) Idriss Deby – Net Worth: $50 Million

Idriss Deby has been the President of Chad since 1990. His net worth is estimated to be $50 million. Towards the end of August 2006, he made international news after calling for his nation to have 60 percent stake in its output after receiving crumbs from foreign companies running the industry.
via wikipedia

=6) Goodluck Jonathan – Net Worth: $100 Million

Goodluck Jonathan is the President of Nigeria. His net worth is estimated to be around $100 million. He launched a “Roadmap for Power Sector Reform”, launched the Youth Enterprise with Innovation in Nigeria and launched the Transformation Agenda. He is a member of the ruling “People Democratic Party”.
via wikimedia common

=6) King Mswati III – Net Worth: $100 Million

The 15th richest royal in the world, according to Forbes Magazine. Mswati III is the King of Swaziland. He is worth more than $100 million; down $100 million of his 2012 ($200 million) fortune. The King has often been criticized for his lavish spending. In 2009 summer, several of his 13 wives reportedly spent over $6 million in a shopping spree. In the 2014 budget, parliament allocated $61 million for the King’s annual household budget, while 63 percent of Swazis live on less than $1.25 per day. His luxury car collection include a $500,000 Daimler Chrysler’s flagship Maybach 62. And has banned the photography of his cars.
via wikipedia

5) Paul Biya – Net Worth: $200 Million

Paul Biya has been the President of Cameroon since November 6 1982. His estimated net worth is around $200 million; this figure was published by theForeignPolicy.com. Around 48 percent of the citizens of Cameroon live below the poverty line. Catholic Committee against Hunger and for Development (CCFD) and several on-and-offline media has placed him in the list of leaders with ill-gotten wealth. In 2009, French online newspaper, Rue 89, reported the Cameroon President’s vacation was the top most expensive among world leaders. More than that of the American President. He was criticized for spending 30,000 euros ($40,000) per day on renting a villa.
via wikimedia common

4) Uhuru Kenyatta – Net Worth: $500 Million

Uhuru Muigai Kenyatta is the President of Kenya and the son of Kenya’s first President, Jomo Kenyatta. In 2011, Forbes estimated his net worth at $500 million. Most of his wealth comes from property. With his family, the President owns stakes in Kenya’s largest dairy company Brookside Dairies, media company Mediamax, Heritage Hotels, Commercial Bank of Africa and hundreds of thousands of prime Kenyan land. He is regarded as man of the people due to his sociability. During his inaugural speech, he promised economic transformation through Vision 2030, free maternal care and unity among all Kenyans.
via wikipedia

3) Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo – $600 Million

Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo is the President of Equatorial Guinea. He came to power in August 1979 by ousting his uncle Francisco Macias Nguema in a military coup. He has overseen the emergence of the nation as an important oil producer, beginning in 1990s. This President and his family literally own the economy, his personal fortune exceed $600 million, according to Forbes Magazine. In October 2011, the United States government seized $70 million assets of his son, Teodoro Nguema Obiang Mangue. Though Equatorial Guinea is Africa’s second richest nation, majority of the population actually live under the poverty line.
via wikipedia

2) Mohammed VI of Morocco – Net Worth: $2.5 Billion

Mohammed VI is the current King of Morocco. He is also the country’s leading businessman. He is worth more than $2.5 billion, according to Forbes. The King ascended to the throne following his father’s death in 1999 and he immediately set about improving upon his appalling human rights record and alleviating poverty.
Photo Credit: Map.ma

1) Jose Eduardo dos Santos – Net Worth: $20 Billion

Jose Eduardo dos Santos is the President of Angola. He has held on to this post since 1979. His personal estimated wealth exceed more than $20 billion, according to Cabinda Online. While around 70 percent of Angolans live on less than two dollars a day. His daughter, Isabel dos Santos is among the Forbes Africa’s billionaires with a net worth of $3.8 billion. She’s currently Africa’s richest woman and also the world’s richest black woman.

" / end quote

3. This spells out increase migration from countries that have countrymen that actually do NOT like western governments. If they are here and do NOT like Western governments, what is their purpose, other than to eventually do harm?!

Somalis - al shabaab
Nigerians - boko haram
Northern Sudanese
Niger
Cameroon

These are only a few countries that we should halt immigration for. But we dont. And then we are shocked when they join Isis.

It is delusional to think that these immigrants are grateful to be American..when they harbor resentment because they see us as a destabilizer. Boston bomber, 911, how many more before we realize that some ppl dont get access to our country until their regions are stable.

I thought Id go to a McKinsey like firm one day - too cutthroat, family didnt have enormous wealth, I was in a 2nd tier grad school, no financial aid, loans galore, ended up starting my own business years ago lol...so thats why I studied this...it wasnt something that Id do if I had a choice. It ended up being a little interesting...so dont feel bad, it wasnt like Id pick that region again to do a paper on..if I was in grad school all over again.

Forum List

Back