NHTSA Rules Back Up Cameras Mandatory In New Cars

Funny how Conservatives don't mind the government putting up cameras everywhere else.

Strange with all of these cameras everywhere that there's only one angle of the Pentagon attack.

Why do you think Feinstein is a conservative?

NHTSA Rules Back Up Cameras Mandatory In New Cars

Cars being sold in the United States must come equipped with a backup camera by May 2018.

Federal safety regulators finalized a rule requiring the installation of rear-view cameras Monday morning after years of delays. They believe the law will reduce the number of pedestrians killed each year when they are accidentally backed over.

Roughly 200 people are killed and 14,000 are injured in such accidents every year in the United States, and slightly less than half the victims are children under age five too small to be seen from the driver's seat. A government analysis has shown that about half of the victims could have been saved by a backup camera.

Safety advocates hailed the finalization of the standards Monday, which came one day before the US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit was scheduled to hear a lawsuit brought by safety groups seeking to compel a final ruling in a years-long process.

"This has been such a fight," said Janette Fennell, the president and founder of KidsAndCars.org, a nonprofit organization that advocates for safer vehicles for children. "But we're ecstatic to hear the news."

It has been a bruising battle. Congress passed legislation requiring the adoption of a rear-view visibility standard in 2007. President George W. Bush signed the "Cameron Gulbransen Kids Transportation Safety Act" into law. It required the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to issue specific standards by 2011. But officials delayed the deadline for writing those rules five separate times. In December, several organizations filed a lawsuit to force NHTSA to release the rules.

(if this is true, and I know it's been talked about) The makers of back-up camera's are happy. The people are not.

This should be an option, not a mandatory option.

Funny how Conservatives don't mind the government putting up cameras everywhere else.

Strange with all of these cameras everywhere that there's only one angle of the Pentagon attack.

Why do you think Feinstein is a conservative?

Frankenstein is a Conservative because he has the inability to adapt to environment. He is basically stupid and can't learn new things. He has the simple mind set that violence fixes all problems.

OH, YOU SAID Feinstein.

Libertarian is a made-up term, like Scientology.

Did you know that the USAPATRIOT Act allows American voters to be arrested if they tell a defense attorney that the police set up surveillance cameras in their home without a warrant?

Yeah, focus on repealing Obamacare 900 times while the PATRIOT Act becomes more entrenched.

Good plan, freedom-loving Republicans.

This is false.

I think the Libertarian Party is one of the least educated parties but to say that the term "Libertarian' is a made-up term displays no education of politics at all.

Libertarian is a perspective, not a party.

EVERY PARTY should believe in Liberty. It's one of our founding principles and to say it's a made-up word is just ignorance. Again, EVERY party should believe in Liberty, and most do.

The difference is the Libertarian party turns basic liberty into Nihilism.

The Nanny state continues.

I've been driving a long time. I have no need for a back up camera nor do I want one, but low and behold in the future you will not be able to buy a car without one.

I simply think that this is just more big Gov't, and it will of course make vehicles more expensive.

M...I...C...K...E...Y..........MOUSE................MICKEY MOUSE...................

200 deaths per year, and many of them are parents or relatives driving over their own kids. Sorry, but sometimes we need a nanny state for idiots who cannot see the value in requiring higher safety standards.

That 200 deaths a year is a guess.

An estimated four U.S. families each week bury a loved one -- often a child -- who was backed over by a vehicle and killed.

Child back-over deaths devastate families across U.S. ? USATODAY.com

Idiots need more than cameras to stop being idiots. I bet the ones hitting people when they back up don't look at all, so it's likely there won't be much of a change. And if a kid is sitting, the camera might not pick them up. If people aren't smart enough to look before they get in the car when they know kids are around, then not much is going to save them from their own stupidity.

The unions will make more money by installing these on cars and isn't that what really matters? Not to mention the increased fines for not having one installed. It's about money, like most liberal ideas.

I'm sure most of you cons are against being told you have to wear a seat belt, and you are probably also against being forced to pay for air bags. Too bad, They've been proven to save lives. In 1970, there were over 50,000 deaths from car accidents with substantially less drivers on the road. In 2012, just over 25,000 deaths. But hey, we all know you guys hate being told what to do even when it's good for you. Stupid is as stupid does.

Libertarian is a made-up term, like Scientology.

Did you know that the USAPATRIOT Act allows American voters to be arrested if they tell a defense attorney that the police set up surveillance cameras in their home without a warrant?

Yeah, focus on repealing Obamacare 900 times while the PATRIOT Act becomes more entrenched.

Good plan, freedom-loving Republicans.

You're dumb as a turd, boy.

Idiots need more than cameras to stop being idiots. I bet the ones hitting people when they back up don't look at all, so it's likely there won't be much of a change. And if a kid is sitting, the camera might not pick them up. If people aren't smart enough to look before they get in the car when they know kids are around, then not much is going to save them from their own stupidity.

The unions will make more money by installing these on cars and isn't that what really matters? Not to mention the increased fines for not having one installed. It's about money, like most liberal ideas.

I'm sure most of you cons are against being told you have to wear a seat belt, and you are probably also against being forced to pay for air bags. Too bad, They've been proven to save lives. In 1970, there were over 50,000 deaths from car accidents with substantially less drivers on the road. In 2012, just over 25,000 deaths. But hey, we all know you guys hate being told what to do even when it's good for you. Stupid is as stupid does.

Are you in favor of all cars on the road being required to have a NASCAR-spec roll cage and requiring all drivers to wear helmets & fire suits? You should be: it would be much safer!

Seat belt laws are wrong. Helmet laws are wrong. Air bags have killed people!

Are you in favor of all cars on the road being required to have a NASCAR-spec roll cage and requiring all drivers to wear helmets & fire suits? You should be: it would be much safer!

Yep, air bags will kill one person out of one-hundred but save the other 99, but you don't want air bags in your vehicle because you think you are going to be that one in a hundred. That's conservative thinking at it's best.

Yep, air bags will kill one person out of one-hundred but save the other 99, but you don't want air bags in your vehicle because you think you are going to be that one in a hundred. That's conservative thinking at it's best.

It's actually quite simple: I don't want these assault weapons in my vehicles because I do not consider the BENEFIT to be worth the COST. I know three people (my mother, her mother, my wife's best friend) that CANNOT drive many vehicles safely due to the airbags. (They have improved greatly, but early-pre-97-airbags were the true killers.) If they fire, they WILL kill the driver. Without adjustable pedals and a telescoping column, my mother couldn't drive her Sable. She cannot safely drive my Dakota. She cannot drive a standard-shift Jeep Wrangler safely.

Forum List

Back