NFLPA President DeMaurice Smith: Another Obamy Crony...

The pie is much bigger and the owners want more of it

To me, the bigger issues are drugs, concussions and injuries as well as taking care of former players.

The NFL uses you up and then spits you out as they bring in a new crop to replace you. Hard to get rich in a four year career

Yeah god forbid you make an average of something like 750K a year for four years and then have to get a real job.

Does seem like a lot doesn't it?

How much would you take never to walk again or to have the brain function of a child?

Similar risks are taken playing High School and College ball and they get paid nothing.

To me, the bigger issues are drugs, concussions and injuries as well as taking care of former players.

The NFL uses you up and then spits you out as they bring in a new crop to replace you. Hard to get rich in a four year career

Yeah god forbid you make an average of something like 750K a year for four years and then have to get a real job.

How much would you take never to walk again or to have the brain function of a child?

These guys go to college before they hit the NFL, usually on scholarship. If they don't take advantage of that, who's fault is it? If they leave early for the NFL who's fault is that? At 750K for four years comes out to 3 million for four years. Not a bad haul for a short period of time. Again nobody forces them into the NFL, they can walk away whenever they want.

And how often does that happen?

Not very. In fact a soldier has more chance of not walking than some overpaid athlete so I'd rather pay them 750K a year instead of some fucking moron who chases a ball around for "work"

These guys go to college before they hit the NFL, usually on scholarship. If they don't take advantage of that, who's fault is it? If they leave early for the NFL who's fault is that? At 750K for four years comes out to 3 million for four years. Not a bad haul for a short period of time. Again nobody forces them into the NFL, they can walk away whenever they want.

Or they can use a wheelchair

How many pro football players were paralyzed last year?

You're correct, the players should all be paid five million per season minimum, kickers and punters should get ten million. They should also get free in home nurses for the rest of their lives.

Nobody is asking you to pay a cent...

Given the nature of the sport and the seriousness of the injuries, it is in the players best interest to set aside a portion of their cut to take care of those who are injured. Wouldn't hurt if management kicked in also

Mike Utley was the last one i remember, that was in the late 80's.

Nobody is asking you to pay a cent...

Given the nature of the sport and the seriousness of the injuries, it is in the players best interest to set aside a portion of their cut to take care of those who are injured. Wouldn't hurt if management kicked in also

Anyone making an average of 750K a year can pay for their own insurance.

They know the risks, they make the choice to play, they negotiate their own contracts.

They get no sympathy from me.

Campbell struggles to walk these days | The Columbus Dispatch

One of the best players I ever saw..

Earl Campbell used a walker to inch down a window-lined hallway overlooking one of his favorite golf courses.

He took roughly six minutes to cover 40 yards -- a distance he used to breeze through in less than five seconds as a punishing running back at Texas and during an eight-year, Hall of Fame career in the NFL, mostly with the Houston Oilers.

Still wearing his trademark beard, now gray, he stands at a 45-degree angle, unable to straighten his back. He can no longer straighten his knees, either.

When the walker becomes too much work, he uses a wheelchair that he travels with at all times. During a 40-minute interview with reporters, Campbell was lucid one moment and struggled to recall names and prominent dates the next.

"The doctor says I'll be playing golf by October," Campbell said, even though he hasn't swung a club in six years.

Last edited:

Earl Campbell used a walker to inch down a window-lined hallway overlooking one of his favorite golf courses.

He took roughly six minutes to cover 40 yards -- a distance he used to breeze through in less than five seconds as a punishing running back at Texas and during an eight-year, Hall of Fame career in the NFL, mostly with the Houston Oilers.

Still wearing his trademark beard, now gray, he stands at a 45-degree angle, unable to straighten his back. He can no longer straighten his knees, either.

When the walker becomes too much work, he uses a wheelchair that he travels with at all times. During a 40-minute interview with reporters, Campbell was lucid one moment and struggled to recall names and prominent dates the next.

"The doctor says I'll be playing golf by October," Campbell said, even though he hasn't swung a club in six years.

Gee and i read this just a few lines down in the article.

Campbell, however, said his physical condition is genetic.

"It's not because of football," Campbell said. "The most serious injury I got from football was a broken finger and broken ribs."

Last edited:

Too many cheap shots to his knees by a bunch of roided up Pissburgh Stealers..........

Personally i'm not surprised we may not have Football this year. After all,one of the Obamy's good buds is running the NFLPA. I knew we were in trouble the day they named DeMaurice Smith head of the NFLPA. Just another radical "Community Organizer" in the end. This current President can't do anything right so no one should be surprised that one of his cronies can't either. The NFLPA should dump this guy immediately. Nothing's gonna get done anytime soon if Obamy's "Community Organizer" kook continues to run the NFLPA. Everything the Obamy touches,seems to go to chit. This obviously includes our Football. The NFL players need to give the "Community Organizer" the boot. Give us our damn Football back!

I'd like to see a link. I've looked him up and it doesn't say much other then his degrees didn't come from distinguished universities.

Gee and i read this just a few lines down in the article.

Campbell, however, said his physical condition is genetic.

"It's not because of football," Campbell said. "The most serious injury I got from football was a broken finger and broken ribs."

It's obvious to everyone but Campbell that his physical condition, on the decline for years, is the direct result of his bullish running style. Campbell repeatedly led with his helmet when taking on defenders

The subject of Campbell's health became a topic of discussion among the former NFL players gathered in Austin because of testimony before Congress last week by aging NFL retirees.

Those retirees told horror stories of endless surgery, dementia and homelessness while fighting with the NFL for better pensions and health insurance. Retired players receive health insurance for the first five years after their playing career and then are on their own, when insurance is often unaffordable

The league needs to take better care of its players. You just don't use them up and discard them when they can no longer play. Both the owners and the players need to set aside a fund and insurance....much the same way as the military takes care of its wounded

Last edited:

Too many cheap shots to his knees by a bunch of roided up Pissburgh Stealers..........

Or as Campbell himself says: Genetics.

Personally i'm not surprised we may not have Football this year. After all,one of the Obamy's good buds is running the NFLPA. I knew we were in trouble the day they named DeMaurice Smith head of the NFLPA. Just another radical "Community Organizer" in the end. This current President can't do anything right so no one should be surprised that one of his cronies can't either. The NFLPA should dump this guy immediately. Nothing's gonna get done anytime soon if Obamy's "Community Organizer" kook continues to run the NFLPA. Everything the Obamy touches,seems to go to chit. This obviously includes our Football. The NFL players need to give the "Community Organizer" the boot. Give us our damn Football back!

Man,I could have predicted this one. In fact i did. I knew we were in trouble the day the NFLPA hired one of the Obamy's good buds to run their Union. DeMaurice Smith is just another "Community Organizer" schmuck at the end of the day. So no one should be surprised that we may not have Football this year. Everything this current President touches,immediately turns to chit. This obviously includes our Football. The NFLPA should dump DeMaurice Smith immediately. A radical "Community Organizer" is not gonna get anything done. So if there's no Football this year,just go ahead and blame the Obamy One and his good buddy DeMaurice Smith. :mad:

:rolleyes: Stfu, Libby. Get educated about what's actually been going on and how the negotiation process works before you start running your mouth. And Smith was elected by the 32 team reps; Obama had no hand in the decision.

Although it is entertaining to watch you dump the lockout on the player's union, even though Pash admitted it was a failure on both sides.

You're the most rabidly retarded partisan on here.

Man,I could have predicted this one. In fact i did. I knew we were in trouble the day the NFLPA hired one of the Obamy's good buds to run their Union. DeMaurice Smith is just another "Community Organizer" schmuck at the end of the day. So no one should be surprised that we may not have Football this year. Everything this current President touches,immediately turns to chit. This obviously includes our Football. The NFLPA should dump DeMaurice Smith immediately. A radical "Community Organizer" is not gonna get anything done. So if there's no Football this year,just go ahead and blame the Obamy One and his good buddy DeMaurice Smith. :mad:

:rolleyes: Stfu, Libby. Get educated about what's actually been going on and how the negotiation process works before you start running your mouth. And Smith was elected by the 32 team reps; Obama had no hand in the decision.

Although it is entertaining to watch you dump the lockout on the player's union, even though Pash admitted it was a failure on both sides.

You're the most rabidly retarded partisan on here.

Besides yourself.:eusa_angel:

It is the owners who are locking out the players while they demand a longer season and a bigger slice of the pie

I think the 18 game season is dead in the water. I can understand where the owners are coming from. Look at how many organizations have built new stadiums. Some of them got a lot of help from the state, and others had to shoulder most of the costs. Add in the the way supplemental revenue sharing was set up, owners like in Jerry Jones type situation were getting fucked over.

But the talks are making progress. They were like $1b apart on agreeing how much the owners get before they split it. Now they're only like ~$100m apart. There's going to be a season; too much money for everyone to lose.

It is the owners who are locking out the players while they demand a longer season and a bigger slice of the pie

I think the 18 game season is dead in the water. I can understand where the owners are coming from. Look at how many organizations have built new stadiums. Some of them got a lot of help from the state, and others had to shoulder most of the costs. Add in the the way supplemental revenue sharing was set up, owners like in Jerry Jones type situation were getting fucked over.

But the talks are making progress. They were like $1b apart on agreeing how much the owners get before they split it. Now they're only like ~$100m apart. There's going to be a season; too much money for everyone to lose.

I surely hope they do not screw this up

Forum List

Back