Newt and the supposed "Party of Family Values"

DaGoose

Gold Member
Nov 16, 2010
Illinois
I never have cared much about the personal life of the POTUS. Personally I don't care if a BJ was given in the Oval Office ir not. In fact, if Bush would have been HALF the POTUS that Clinton was I would have ordered up a dozen blowjobs for Bush.

But the GOP doesn't see it that way. They place a great deal of weight on moral character. With Newt polling so well lately I'm convinced that the GOP is full of hypocrites. They only care about "family values" when it's a Democrat caught with his pants down.

Take Bill Clinton (probably the best POTUS in most of our lifetimes). Oh they try and say it was about lies, but then all they talk about are cigars and blue dresses.

Now they are ready to support a man who chased (or maybe still chases) after anything in a skirt. The man obviously has the morals of an alley cat. Yet all I hear is that they forgive his past transgressions.

Some of the true social conservatives are still not sure about him though......

But as Gingrich has gained strong momentum ahead of early-state voting next month--he's surged to an impressive 21-point lead over longtime frontrunner Mitt Romney in the latest national Rasmussen poll--it's still unclear whether social conservatives are ready to forgive and forget his past marital woes.

A growing number of top Iowa conservatives view Gingrich as their best chance to block Romney's bid for the Republican nomination. But many so-called values voters, in Iowa and beyond, remain divided over whether they can back a candidate who has so much personal baggage.

But then hypocrisy rears it's ugly head.....

In "any other election year," Land says social conservatives might not be willing to give a pass to Gingrich. But amid voter concerns about the economy and the desire among Republican voters to defeat President Obama, he says values voters could be willing to overlook Gingrich's past if the former speaker "makes it crystal clear he's learned his lesson" and vows there will be "no moral scandal" in his administration.

Can social conservatives forgive Gingrich

So what say you? Are you willing to hypocritically support this man in his quest for the GOP nomination?

I never have cared much about the personal life of the POTUS. Personally I don't care if a BJ was given in the Oval Office ir not. In fact, if Bush would have been HALF the POTUS that Clinton was I would have ordered up a dozen blowjobs for Bush.

But the GOP doesn't see it that way. They place a great deal of weight on moral character. With Newt polling so well lately I'm convinced that the GOP is full of hypocrites. They only care about "family values" when it's a Democrat caught with his pants down.

Take Bill Clinton (probably the best POTUS in most of our lifetimes). Oh they try and say it was about lies, but then all they talk about are cigars and blue dresses.

Now they are ready to support a man who chased (or maybe still chases) after anything in a skirt. The man obviously has the morals of an alley cat. Yet all I hear is that they forgive his past transgressions.

But as Gingrich has gained strong momentum ahead of early-state voting next month--he's surged to an impressive 21-point lead over longtime frontrunner Mitt Romney in the latest national Rasmussen poll--it's still unclear whether social conservatives are ready to forgive and forget his past marital woes.

A growing number of top Iowa conservatives view Gingrich as their best chance to block Romney's bid for the Republican nomination. But many so-called values voters, in Iowa and beyond, remain divided over whether they can back a candidate who has so much personal baggage.

In "any other election year," Land says social conservatives might not be willing to give a pass to Gingrich. But amid voter concerns about the economy and the desire among Republican voters to defeat President Obama, he says values voters could be willing to overlook Gingrich's past if the former speaker "makes it crystal clear he's learned his lesson" and vows there will be "no moral scandal" in his administration.

So what say you? Are you willing to hypocritically support this man in his quest for the GOP nomination?

I'm not a conservatives, so the question likely isn't directed at me.

I just find Gingrich to be amoral. It's not just his personal life. Newt will say absolutely anything to further his quest for power. I understand that all politicians bend the truth and even lie on occasion. I understand that most politicians shift their positions as the popular winds change. I also understand that politicians engage in false outrage from time to time. It's practically a qualification to survive serving as a member of a political party for any length of time.

But Newt is in a class all his own. When he stands there, and with a straight face, tries to convince people that he made millions of dollars from Freddie Mac (as well as others) after resigning his speakership, but he wasn't engaged in lobbying, you just have to ask yourself if you can ever believe anything he says. I say no. I don't think he has any core values. Mitt Romney may be a flip-flopper, but I don't believe he's an amoral or immoral man like Newt's life reveals him to be.

How ironic it would be if conservatives, in their hunt for a conservative 'notRomney,' end up nominating a man who has far fewer redeeming qualities and personal and professional morals than the one they reject as lacking sufficient conservative bona fides.

I support gingrich but I'm not a hypocrite.

Care for more details?

thats what happens when the party of family values :eusa_angel: is using the "anybody but Romney" strategy :eusa_whistle: They're party seems to be plagued w/ these incidents LOL

http://www.dkosopedia.com/wiki/Republican_Sex_Scandals
In Wisconsin, Republican state Senator Randy Hopper, while claiming to still live with his wife, was actually living outside the district he represents with a much younger 25-year-old mistress. In early 2011, the mistress was hired by a conservative lobbyist firm and given a state employee's job at rate of pay much higher than the previous person doing the job

he got a DUI w/ her in the car last month too ;)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
All democrats have done is say that a man with a questionable moral past can be a very effective president.

All democrats have done is say that a man with a questionable moral past can be a very effective president.

And what the Democrats are saying would be 100% correct. Clinton proved it. But social conservatives (read it: GOP) say just the opposite.

Care for more details?

If what you're saying is that "moral character" doesn't matter then no, you're not being hypocritical. If you say it does then please elaborate.

thats what happens when the party of family values :eusa_angel: is using the "anybody but Romney" strategy :eusa_whistle: They're party seems to be plagued w/ these incidents LOL

Republican Sex Scandals - dKosopedia
In Wisconsin, Republican state Senator Randy Hopper, while claiming to still live with his wife, was actually living outside the district he represents with a much younger 25-year-old mistress. In early 2011, the mistress was hired by a conservative lobbyist firm and given a state employee's job at rate of pay much higher than the previous person doing the job

he got a DUI w/ her in the car last month too ;)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

OMG those christian republicans and their ability to FORGIVE (another one of those "family values party" values)

:lol:

Care for more details?

If what you're saying is that "moral character" doesn't matter then no, you're not being hypocritical. If you say it does then please elaborate.

It matters to me.

However, in the case of Newt, after hearing what those who support him and oppose him have said about his indiscretions a few decades back, I dont find his affair to be grounds for not supporting him.

I don't find his moral character to be lacking that badly but I am willing to take any information you wish to present, besides his indescretion on his ex wife with his current wife, to change my mind.

BTW I actually liked clinton as a president and still think he did a good job regardless of lying under oath about getting a blowjob.

Newt looks like the best choice at the moment....

Not the best that's out there but the best that has agreed to allow the press to shred their past.

Why is it they never vetted Obama like this again?

When I need a family counselor, I will not hire Gingrich due to his resume and experience in the area.

When I want an effective president, I will definitely vote for Gingrich for the same reason. He has a great resume for the the job.

Care for more details?

It matters to me.

However, in the case of Newt, after hearing what those who support him and oppose him have said about his indiscretions a few decades back, I dont find his affair to be grounds for not supporting him.

I don't find his moral character to be lacking that badly but I am willing to take any information you wish to present, besides his indescretion on his ex wife with his current wife, to change my mind.

BTW I actually liked clinton as a president and still think he did a good job regardless of lying under oath about getting a blowjob.

Take your pick...........

Though he relentlessly pushes military spending and talks like a bigtime hawk, Gingrich avoided the Vietnam War through a combination of student and family deferments. (He married one of his teachers at age 19.)

Newt pressed his first wife to sign divorce papers while she was still in the hospital recovering from cancer surgery. He also graciously said "She isn't young enough or pretty enough to be the President's wife."

Remember the House Banking scandal, where so many congressmen wrote rubber checks on government money? Newt hopes you don't, because he bounced 22 himself, which almost cost him reelection in 1992. His vote for the secret House pay raise, and the chauffeur who drove him around Washington in a Lincoln Town Car, didn't help.

You probably heard something about Newt's book scandal. He was offered first $2.5 million, then $4.5 million by Harper Collins, a publishing company owned by Rupert Murdoch, who also owns the Fox TV network and newspapers and TV stations around the world. Murdoch has been having problems with a complaint by NBC that Fox is a foreign owned TV network, which is against US law.

GOPAC, Newt's longtime political action committee, was the centerpiece of a complex network of non-profit, and mostly tax exempt organizations that Newt has used to support himself and other conservative candidates. In an act of incredible hypocrisy, this crusader against taxes obtained taxpayer subsidies for his personal and political goals, by misusuing these tax-exempt groups.

Of course, using tax-exempt educational or charitable donations for partisan purposes is illegal, and several ethics complaints were filed against Gingrich. He agreed to pay a $300,000 fine for misleading the committee during the investigation

According to the Wall Street Journal, a company hired Marianne Gingrich (Newt's wife) for $2,500 a month plus commissions in September 1994 after he announced support for a free trade zone in Israel that they are trying to build.

Possible Presidential Candidate Newt Gingrich - The Dark Side

Call us the party of family values all you want, you can even sneer about it. but it's for damn sure you're the party of NO family values,, it's just screw and make 15 babies and demand others feed and care for them.. I'd rather be the former. At least Gingrich had the where with all to marry the woman and then divorce her,

It matters to me.

Take your pick...........

Of course, using tax-exempt educational or charitable donations for partisan purposes is illegal, and several ethics complaints were filed against Gingrich. He agreed to pay a $300,000 fine for misleading the committee during the investigation

According to the Wall Street Journal, a company hired Marianne Gingrich (Newt's wife) for $2,500 a month plus commissions in September 1994 after he announced support for a free trade zone in Israel that they are trying to build.

Possible Presidential Candidate Newt Gingrich - The Dark Side

WTF how do I quote each one of those to respond to?

A lot of that is half-truth dishonest spin when you look deeper into it which I have been doing...just like i did with obama by reading his books before deciding not to support him.

And what the Democrats are saying would be 100% correct. Clinton proved it. But social conservatives (read it: GOP) say just the opposite.

All we know is that the democrats CLAIM that the GOP says just the opposite.

So far, Gingrich is doing just fine which might mean that republicans are just as williing to say that a man with a questionable moral past can be a very effective president. Then naturally as water flows downhill, democrats will drag out the tattered Saul Alinsky book and scream hypocrite!

Dr Paul ad :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWKTOCP45zY]Newt Gingrich: Serial Hypocrisy - YouTube[/ame]​

Last edited:
Call us the party of family values all you want, you can even sneer about it. but it's for damn sure you're the party of NO family values,, it's just screw and make 15 babies and demand others feed and care for them.. I'd rather be the former. At least Gingrich had the where with all to marry the woman and then divorce her,

At least your consistent Willow.

I have said all along, unlike the Reps, that "personal morals" has no place in Presidential politics. So I'll just point out the hypocrisy.

We know democrats can't be hypocrites because they never had any morals to begin with.

Forum List

Back