Newt and the supposed "Party of Family Values"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DaGoose, Dec 1, 2011.

1. DaGoose

DaGoose Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +676
    I never have cared much about the personal life of the POTUS. Personally I don't care if a BJ was given in the Oval Office ir not. In fact, if Bush would have been HALF the POTUS that Clinton was I would have ordered up a dozen blowjobs for Bush.

But the GOP doesn't see it that way. They place a great deal of weight on moral character. With Newt polling so well lately I'm convinced that the GOP is full of hypocrites. They only care about "family values" when it's a Democrat caught with his pants down.

Take Bill Clinton (probably the best POTUS in most of our lifetimes). Oh they try and say it was about lies, but then all they talk about are cigars and blue dresses.

Now they are ready to support a man who chased (or maybe still chases) after anything in a skirt. The man obviously has the morals of an alley cat. Yet all I hear is that they forgive his past transgressions.

Some of the true social conservatives are still not sure about him though......

But then hypocrisy rears it's ugly head.....

Can social conservatives forgive Gingrich

So what say you? Are you willing to hypocritically support this man in his quest for the GOP nomination?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Mustang

Mustang Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W
    Ratings:
    +1,792
    I'm not a conservatives, so the question likely isn't directed at me.

I just find Gingrich to be amoral. It's not just his personal life. Newt will say absolutely anything to further his quest for power. I understand that all politicians bend the truth and even lie on occasion. I understand that most politicians shift their positions as the popular winds change. I also understand that politicians engage in false outrage from time to time. It's practically a qualification to survive serving as a member of a political party for any length of time.

But Newt is in a class all his own. When he stands there, and with a straight face, tries to convince people that he made millions of dollars from Freddie Mac (as well as others) after resigning his speakership, but he wasn't engaged in lobbying, you just have to ask yourself if you can ever believe anything he says. I say no. I don't think he has any core values. Mitt Romney may be a flip-flopper, but I don't believe he's an amoral or immoral man like Newt's life reveals him to be.

How ironic it would be if conservatives, in their hunt for a conservative 'notRomney,' end up nominating a man who has far fewer redeeming qualities and personal and professional morals than the one they reject as lacking sufficient conservative bona fides.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

PLYMCO_PILGRIM Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    I support gingrich but I'm not a hypocrite.

Care for more details?

4. Dot Com

Dot Com Nullius in verba Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,307
    thats what happens when the party of family values :eusa_angel: is using the "anybody but Romney" strategy :eusa_whistle: They're party seems to be plagued w/ these incidents LOL

http://www.dkosopedia.com/wiki/Republican_Sex_Scandals
    he got a DUI w/ her in the car last month too ;)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  5. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    All democrats have done is say that a man with a questionable moral past can be a very effective president.

6. DaGoose

DaGoose Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +676
    And what the Democrats are saying would be 100% correct. Clinton proved it. But social conservatives (read it: GOP) say just the opposite.

7. DaGoose

DaGoose Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +676
    If what you're saying is that "moral character" doesn't matter then no, you're not being hypocritical. If you say it does then please elaborate.

8. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863

OMG those christian republicans and their ability to FORGIVE (another one of those "family values party" values)

:lol:

9. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    It matters to me.

However, in the case of Newt, after hearing what those who support him and oppose him have said about his indiscretions a few decades back, I dont find his affair to be grounds for not supporting him.

I don't find his moral character to be lacking that badly but I am willing to take any information you wish to present, besides his indescretion on his ex wife with his current wife, to change my mind.

BTW I actually liked clinton as a president and still think he did a good job regardless of lying under oath about getting a blowjob.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,458
    Newt looks like the best choice at the moment....

Not the best that's out there but the best that has agreed to allow the press to shred their past.

Why is it they never vetted Obama like this again?