Newly Elected Muslim Congresswomen Favor Eliminating Israel

I did not say there is nothing wrong with it. I initially defended her when she first made her statements, because she subsequently apologized, but she keeps making the same sort of statements so it's not a one-off.

But I am very glad the resolution was broader than anti-semitism. We need to condemn all forms of hate...right? I don't think that demonizing is acceptable in American politics whether its racial, ethnic, religious, immigrants - it leads to bad things. If you are going to argue Israel's policies then argue those policies specifically.

There is no US demand for "allegience" to Israel from mainstream politics. But she does have a point. There are sectors, in American politics that do seem to almost demand it. It's not driven by American Jews, but rather in the more conservative Christian parts of the country. And it should be able to be discussed without either reverting to anti-semitic tropes or muslim bashing.

What are you thoughts on situations like these:

Lawsuits filed in Texas challenging law requiring state contractors to pledge not to boycott Israel

(this claim was fact checked FACT CHECK: Does a Texas Law Require Government Contractors to Swear They Won't Boycott Israel?)

Texas lawmaker demands Muslims to swear allegiance next to an Israeli flag | The Express Tribune

I know you don't agree with BDS, but imo - we have a right to boycott whom we choose. As Americans, it's a right of free speech, and boycott movements are generally non-violent. When a government entity makes it a requirement to sign an oath you will not engage in boycotts of one and only one specific country - that is disturbing.
We have been through those alleged allegiances in Texas. There is no truth to them.

Who is “we” and yes they are factually based.
We = You, I, Hollie, others

The Texas issue with the Muslims was in 2015

Ugly anti-Muslim taunts by Texas lawmaker, protesters are embarrassments to Texans | Opinion | Dallas News

Ugly anti-Muslim taunts by Texas lawmaker, protesters are embarrassments to Texans | Opinion | Dallas News

BDS against only one country in the world is not "whom we choose". It is whom the anti Israel groups choose.

----------
And to clarify:

Everyone is Misreporting the Texas BDS Lawsuit

Here is the specific language Ms. Amawi was asked to sign (see appendix A):

Pursuant to Section 2270.001 of Texas Government Code, the Contractor affirms that it: 1. Does not currently boycott Israel; and 2. Will not boycott Israel during the term of the contract Pursuant to Section 2270.001 of Texas Government Code:

1. "Boycott Israel" means refusing to deal with, terminating business activities with, or otherwise taking any action that is intended to penalize, inflict economic harm on, or limit commercial relations specifically with Israel, or with a person or entity doing business in Israel or in an Israeli-controlled territory, but does not include an action made for ordinary business purposes;and
  2. "Company" means a for-profit sole proprietorship, organization, association, corporation, partnership, joint venture, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, or any limited liability company, including a wholly owned subsidiary, majority-owned subsidiary, parent company or affiliate of those entities or business associations that exist to make a profit.
Note that, consistent with the language and obvious intent of the law (see the text here, it's even titled "PROHIBITION ON CONTRACTS WITH COMPANIES BOYCOTTING ISRAEL"), the school district certification applies to the business, "it," not the individual "she." Contrary to what I've been reading all over the internet, Ms. Amawi is not being asked to pledge that she, in her personal capacity, will not privately boycott Israel, much less that, e.g.,she will not advocate for boycotting Israel or otherwise refrain from criticizing Israel .
I pointed out already that the Calais was verified as true as I linked. We will see how those contracts fare in the courts.

Why is ONLY Israel given special anti boycott protection?

“she will not advocate for boycotting Israel or otherwise refrain from criticizing Israel” that is even worse from a free speech standpoint.
[Why is ONLY Israel given special antiboycott protection?]

WHY is Israel the only country they will boycott?

Why are so many Christians and Muslims so intent in boycotting ONLY Israel ?

I continue to not get an answer to these questions from anyone who thinks that the BDS movement is a fair and balanced, or whatever else they think of it......movement.

And no one, not even Israel, has ever said that no one is allowed to criticize Israel.
But that is not what they do, especially those who do not know the facts and repeat what they read without verifying it, or caring about the truth of it.

How many time any one of us has to repeat this?

Fair criticism of Israel is one thing. The hatchet job anti Israel people do on a daily basis with the intent of destroying it, is something else.

And some people cannot figure out why the hatchet job exists against Israel .
Stupid question. BDS is a Palestinian call to end the occupation of Palestine. List the countries occupying Palestine.

Where is the BDS for Tibetans? For Cypriots? For Western Saharans? For Kurds? For women in Saudi Arabia? For Yemeni? For the Rohingya?

Why is it that the ONLY widespread global boycott is against Israel?
Why do pro-Israel activists focus only on Anti-Jewish atrocities and ignore what is happening to Tibetans, Rohinga etc.? The question cuts both ways and I think there is a certain fallacy in demanding that an activist MUST equally focus on all injustices. There ARE groups who focus on specific issues.

For example...boycotts in support of Tibet

Tibetan activists launch boycott of InterContinental over hotel plans

Indo-Tibetan meet proposes boycott of Chinese goods - Times of India

Stop. Do better. There is no equivalence here and you do an injustice to our conversation to pretend that there is. You and I both know that the boycott against Israel is by far on a different level than boycotts against other nations. Even ones with absolutely horrific human rights violations, like the pogroms against the Rohingya.

And on the contrary WHO constantly brings up he plight of other peoples in this board?! Hint: it's not Team Palestine. In fact who brought it up tonight? Oh wait. It was me again. So don't you dare tell me that we only focus on Israel.

So again, why are there no widespread global grassroots and government boycotts against those nations persecuting the Rohingya, the Kurds, the Cypriots, the Tibetans, the Yemeni, the Western Saharans?

How many on the street could even begin to have a discussion on the self determination of the Western Saharans as an example? How many even KNOW about the occupation of Western Sahara and her people?

The scale is WAY out of proportion. And you should know that. The fact that you deny it is appalling.

Stupid question. BDS is a Palestinian call to end the occupation of Palestine. List the countries occupying Palestine.

There aren't any.

Why are there no calls for boycotts to end the occupation of Cyprus? Or Western Sahara? Or Catalan?

Where is the BDS for Tibetans? For Cypriots? For Western Saharans? For Kurds? For women in Saudi Arabia? For Yemeni? For the Rohingya?

Why do pro-Israel activists focus only on Anti-Jewish atrocities and ignore what is happening to Tibetans, Rohinga etc.? The question cuts both ways and I think there is a certain fallacy in demanding that an activist MUST equally focus on all injustices. There ARE groups who focus on specific issues.

Stop. Do better. There is no equivalence here and you do an injustice to our conversation to pretend that there is. You and I both know that the boycott against Israel is by far on a different level than boycotts against other nations. Even ones with absolutely horrific human rights violations, like the pogroms against the Rohingya.

And on the contrary WHO constantly brings up he plight of other peoples in this board?! Hint: it's not Team Palestine. In fact who brought it up tonight? Oh wait. It was me again. So don't you dare tell me that we only focus on Israel.

So again, why are there no widespread global grassroots and government boycotts against those nations persecuting the Rohingya, the Kurds, the Cypriots, the Tibetans, the Yemeni, the Western Saharans?

How many on the street could even begin to have a discussion on the self determination of the Western Saharans as an example? How many even KNOW about the occupation of Western Sahara and her people?

The scale is WAY out of proportion. And you should know that. The fact that you deny it is appalling.
Shusha. YOU bring up the plights of other countries. (And so do I).

NOT Team Palestine.

And NOT Team Israel.

Just you and I.

NOT Team Palestine.

And NOT Team Israel.

Just you and I.

Sure.

But you are just grabbing the low hanging fruit and not addressing my post.

BDS is on a scale unheard of in comparison to other states. Just acknowledge that.

It really is outrageous that we have two Islamic misfits elected to office for no obvious reason other than they fill a “diversity” slot. There is nothing to suggest that either of them has any qualifications that one would think should be a prerequisite for office. Their first week as “elected officials” indicates that their only agenda is to press their Jew-hating proclivities.
Nothing could be more obvious.

Hypocritical Anti- Hate Resolution Supports Muslim Hatred

NOT Team Palestine.

And NOT Team Israel.

Just you and I.
I have posted about Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Egypt, Iraq, Cuba, Haiti, and Venezuela.

Not in this forum though.

NOT Team Palestine.

And NOT Team Israel.

Just you and I.

Sure.

But you are just grabbing the low hanging fruit and not addressing my post.

BDS is on a scale unheard of in comparison to other states. Just acknowledge that.
Actually it is 1am and I am too tired to argue in depth. My few remaining undamaged brain cells are shutting down and low hanging fruit is all they can process right now :springbed:

But I do think the boycotts against SA were comparable.

Coyote is using a false analogy,
a minority boycotting a majority that occupies its land is the complete opposite of a call to boycott Israel.
She doesn't want to see that Arabs are a majority who ask to boycott the minority.

Using Coyote's logic she should call for Chinese boycott of Tibet as she calls for the Arab boycott of Israel.

It's nice to see Ilhan Omar is making new friends while devoting ample time to ignoring her day job.

12 pro-Israel groups call on Pelosi, Engel to remove Omar from House Committee

They also sounded the alarm ahead of Rep. Ilhan Omar’s scheduled appearance at Islamic Relief USA, “whose parent organization and chapters have documented ties to terrorist organizations.”
The Zio-Lobby's War on "Anti-Semitism" & Ilhan Omar

It really is a shame that identity politics has lead us to dregs like Rashida Tlaib.

Rep. Tlaib Defends Rep. Omar Amid Anti-Semitism Controversy: She's 'Targeted' Like 'Civil Rights Icons'

I think both these women are being targeted in part because they are Muslim.

You honestly see nothing wrong with her saying “ It’s
It really is a shame that identity politics has lead us to dregs like Rashida Tlaib.

Rep. Tlaib Defends Rep. Omar Amid Anti-Semitism Controversy: She's 'Targeted' Like 'Civil Rights Icons'

I think both these women are being targeted in part because they are Muslim.

Really? It has nothing to do with her remarks “ It’s about the Benjamin’s baby” or saying that anyone who supports Israel has an allegiance to a foreign Country? I’m not surprised at your stance.
While I do wish she should have been condemned the broad Resolution did do one thing; She knows she better keep her mouth shut

I did not say there is nothing wrong with it. I initially defended her when she first made her statements, because she subsequently apologized, but she keeps making the same sort of statements so it's not a one-off.

But I am very glad the resolution was broader than anti-semitism. We need to condemn all forms of hate...right? I don't think that demonizing is acceptable in American politics whether its racial, ethnic, religious, immigrants - it leads to bad things. If you are going to argue Israel's policies then argue those policies specifically.

There is no US demand for "allegience" to Israel from mainstream politics. But she does have a point. There are sectors, in American politics that do seem to almost demand it. It's not driven by American Jews, but rather in the more conservative Christian parts of the country. And it should be able to be discussed without either reverting to anti-semitic tropes or muslim bashing.

What are you thoughts on situations like these:

Lawsuits filed in Texas challenging law requiring state contractors to pledge not to boycott Israel

(this claim was fact checked FACT CHECK: Does a Texas Law Require Government Contractors to Swear They Won't Boycott Israel?)

Texas lawmaker demands Muslims to swear allegiance next to an Israeli flag | The Express Tribune

I know you don't agree with BDS, but imo - we have a right to boycott whom we choose. As Americans, it's a right of free speech, and boycott movements are generally non-violent. When a government entity makes it a requirement to sign an oath you will not engage in boycotts of one and only one specific country - that is disturbing.

She “ apologized “ because she was Forced to. Common sense would dictate that. Free speech? Then a Jewish Congressman or woman would have the Right to call Muslims Terrorists, Killer of Christians, etc. etc.
It’s obvious by the way she dressed she’s proud of her heritage. I can say she doesn’t have an allegiance to this Country

This country? What country are you talking about? Israel? The US? She has allegiance to the US.

Here are some of your Islamophobia buddies attacking her.

Sign Falsely Linking Muslim Congresswoman To Sept. 11 Sparks Outrage In West Virginia

W.Va. House official who resigned denies making anti-Muslim slur - WV MetroNews

Someone like Omar should have lunch with some of the Jewish elected officials. Maybe they would realize they have more in common then not.

Leave Byrd's KKK churchstate fiefdom West Nazi Germany Virginia to link Congresswoman Omar to 9/11 being lynching enforcement back in the mid-1970's that dictated what it was going to do to Israel & NYC at the turn of the century is about what Ilhan has been expousing.

The apologetics for Ilhan Omar were amazing to watch. She was infantilized as someone who is not fully mature enough to understand the subtle nuances of how her innocent words could be perceived by Jews - yet she is fully mature enough to represent thousands of people from Minnesota. The thought that her antisemitism might be a basic part of her worldview and her upbringing is not considered.

Muslims are expected to be Jew-hating bigots, and that is OK, according to the prevailing groupthink of the progressive crowd. See this tweet from a "roving journalist:"

If this is true, it shows that at least some journalists - who are overwhelmingly liberal - have no problem at all with Ilhan Omar's antisemitic statements, and they have a completely different standard for her than they would have for a white Republican man saying the exact same things.

The same applies to other people of color, as well. The horrendous attacks on Hasidic Jews in New York by people of color have been shown on TV because it is compelling video, but there is no outrage towards the perpetrators - because of their color.

If we want to ensure equal rights for all American citizens, that means we must expect equal responsibilities from all of them as well. This is not a difficult concept, but it is one that is very uncomfortable to those who want to elevate the people considered "intersectional" without regard to their actual actions or words.

(full article online)

Time to admit the obvious: Muslims get a pass on antisemitism ~ Elder Of Ziyon - Israel News

The apologetics for Ilhan Omar were amazing to watch. She was infantilized as someone who is not fully mature enough to understand the subtle nuances of how her innocent words could be perceived by Jews - yet she is fully mature enough to represent thousands of people from Minnesota. The thought that her antisemitism might be a basic part of her worldview and her upbringing is not considered.

Muslims are expected to be Jew-hating bigots, and that is OK, according to the prevailing groupthink of the progressive crowd. See this tweet from a "roving journalist:"

If this is true, it shows that at least some journalists - who are overwhelmingly liberal - have no problem at all with Ilhan Omar's antisemitic statements, and they have a completely different standard for her than they would have for a white Republican man saying the exact same things.

The same applies to other people of color, as well. The horrendous attacks on Hasidic Jews in New York by people of color have been shown on TV because it is compelling video, but there is no outrage towards the perpetrators - because of their color.

If we want to ensure equal rights for all American citizens, that means we must expect equal responsibilities from all of them as well. This is not a difficult concept, but it is one that is very uncomfortable to those who want to elevate the people considered "intersectional" without regard to their actual actions or words.

(full article online)

Time to admit the obvious: Muslims get a pass on antisemitism ~ Elder Of Ziyon - Israel News

Just like there is no outrage for attacks on Muslims in this country. It is considered acceptable.

(full article online)

as someone who is not fully mature enough to understand the subtle nuances of how her innocent words could be perceived by Jews
Everything is anti Semitic to them.

Good lord. The audacity of it. How dare they elect a Muslim to office in America. Of course they can’t possibly be qualified!

The problem is neither supports eliminating Israel. They support a one state solution. Something Some pro-Israeli’s have been supporting as well. One supports the right of return in a very eloquent manner that echos the same feelings of “right of return” that Jews have toward the land of their ancestors. Seems the Islamophobia bias is showing.

The so called diatribe was nothing more then answering a specific question from the interviewer. The OP took a tiny fragment of the interview out of a richer context, the entire interview is here:

Rashida Tlaib on Democratic Socialism and Why She Supports the Palestinian Right of Return

They are nasty disrespectful assholes. They should be silent, and walking five paces behind their abusive husbands in a land far away. They obviously don’t have any respect for America.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No muslim should ever hold office in the United States. We imported a muslim majority to fashion a muslim district. Neither Mullah Omar nor Rashida Taliban should ever have escaped their respective kitchens.

No muslim should ever hold office in the United States. We imported a muslim majority to fashion a muslim district. Neither Mullah Omar nor Rashida Taliban should ever have escaped their respective kitchens.
Thank goodness for the Constitution.

Perhaps muslim should have thought about it before killing 3000 Americans..... As the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, it was not all the people but it was a large portion of them that condoned it!

Without-Islam.jpg

Perhaps muslim should have thought about it before killing 3000 Americans..... As the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, it was not all the people but it was a large portion of them that condoned it!

Without-Islam.jpg

Oh right. Blame every Muslim for the acts of a few. That has a familiar ring to it.

Forum List

Back