New USS Missouri Cristened

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Navy Christens Newest Virginia-class Submarine Missouri

The U.S. Navy christened the newest Virginia-class submarine, the USS Missouri at the Electric Boat shipyard in Groton Saturday.

Missouri is the fifth Navy ship to be named in honor of the "Show Me State". The submarine is 90-percent complete with construction and $72 million under budget.

Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, US Senator Claire McCaskill (D-MO), and Secretary of the Navy (SECNAV) Ray Mabus were among the many guests that attended the rainy ceremony.

Becky Gates, wife of Secretary Gates, served as the ship's sponsor. She broke the traditional champagne bottle against the boat’s sail.

Missouri is expected to be delivered to the Navy and begin its missions in 2010.

For more information on the USS Missouri click below:
http://www.public.navy.mil/usff/CSG2/Pages/MOChristening.aspx
A proud day for the Navy and the state of Missouri.

God Bless USS Missouri.

0097.jpg

The U.S. Navy christened the newest Virginia-class submarine, the USS Missouri at the Electric Boat shipyard in Groton Saturday.

Missouri is the fifth Navy ship to be named in honor of the "Show Me State". The submarine is 90-percent complete with construction and $72 million under budget.

Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, US Senator Claire McCaskill (D-MO), and Secretary of the Navy (SECNAV) Ray Mabus were among the many guests that attended the rainy ceremony.

Becky Gates, wife of Secretary Gates, served as the ship's sponsor. She broke the traditional champagne bottle against the boat’s sail.

Missouri is expected to be delivered to the Navy and begin its missions in 2010.

God Bless USS Missouri.

0097.jpg

Thanks for the post!!! The decommisioned battleship Missouri is currently in drydock at Pearl Harbor undergoing some repairs. I walked her decks and met Bush 41 there on the 50th Anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor when she was still active.

A long proud tradition of ship's namesakes comes from the great state of Missouri.

Is the Virginia class taking over for the Ohio Class? IIRC boomers are named after states while attack subs are named after cities generally speaking. Like the 688 Los Angeles class.

Sometimes I find the naming conventions for military equipment interesting.

Attack helicopters are all named after Indian tribes.
Tanks are named after Generals or famous soldiers
Cruisers used to be named after cities
BBs got states at one point too
CVNs used to be battles and now Presidents
Frigates were named after different levels of past high ranking officers
I don't remember DDGs anymore

anyway, I babble on.
As for fixed wing...? Feh! all screwed up.

And a new feature, a diary room, transmitted to the public.

"Hello Seaman recruit, this is the Old Man."

"Old Man, the food sucks and I have to wonder, would we really launch nuclear missles and kill everyone on Earth if ordered?"

"Seaman recruit, next Thursday is lasagna night. Have hope. Seaman Recruit let us hope we never have to know if we are ordered to end the lasagna nights forever more."

Last edited:
Is the Virginia class taking over for the Ohio Class? IIRC boomers are named after states while attack subs are named after cities generally speaking. Like the 688 Los Angeles class.

Sometimes I find the naming conventions for military equipment interesting.

Attack helicopters are all named after Indian tribes.
Tanks are named after Generals or famous soldiers
Cruisers used to be named after cities and famous battles
BBs got states at one point too Always
CVNs used to be battles and now Presidents
Frigates were named after different levels of past high ranking officers Medal of Honor/Navy Cross winners
I don't remember DDGs anymore Famous sailors/Medal of Honor recipients

anyway, I babble on.
As for fixed wing...? Feh! all screwed up.

No. The Virginia Class submarines were specifically designed to conduct littoral warfare as well as hunter-killer operations. The Ohio Class SSBN are being converted to SSGN IAW the last nuclear weapons treaty which limits out number of deployed warheaeds aboard submarines. The improved(?) Ohio Class SSGN's carry a significant number of Tomahawk cruise missiles which can be programed for a number of different missions.

Go Navy!

And under budget, holy cow, hopefully the manufacturer of the "Heads" installed that new improved 'nuclear flushing system'.........well, I am not goin there.

Spent a few thousand hours flying and 'hunting', for these guys in 'on station' ops. Hence the P3 in the avatar.

Good luck to the crew....

Go Navy!

And under budget, holy cow, hopefully the manufacturer of the "Heads" installed that new improved 'nuclear flushing system'.........well, I am not goin there.

Spent a few thousand hours flying and 'hunting', for these guys in 'on station' ops. Hence the P3 in the avatar.

Good luck to the crew....

Go Navy !!!! What did you do? Pilot, Flight Engineer? AW?

God Bless USS Missouri.

0097.jpg

like the name. the show me state.

mo_license_plate.jpg

DD's were named after naval heroes of any rank though the class ships were usually named after admirals. As the current Arleigh Burke class.

the cermony was tarnished by McCaskill's presence. they should have busted her fuckin head open with the champagne bottle

Forum List

Back