New toy!

Took it to an indoor range yesterday simply because it shoots the 357 Magnum pistol round so it's allowed.

It was very accurate at the 25 yard maximum range they had.

Looking forward to trying it at 100 and 200 yards

Last edited:
This week if all goes well, I'll be purchasing a Henry lever-action 357 magnum rifle.

Well actually it isn't just a toy. It's for hunting too. I have found that I'm getting in closer range of the Wild Hogs here in Florida, at at close range the scope on my 30-06 is a hindrance instead of a help. The problem is that it doesn't have steel sights. So now when I go after some bacon to fry on my AR-15 barrel, I'll bring both my Remington 700 series and my Henry 357. Just to Cover both long and close range.
I like Henry as a company. I bought my son one of the golden boy 22 rifles and I gave two boys I coached who were each eagle scouts-the eagle scout version of the rifle and a case so they could display them on their walls. I like that Henry advertises on cable TV and is All American made. I don't have any real use as a competitive shooter for their firearms but I like giving those guns as gifts. Its a company I support

I've never previously owned any lever action rifle and that is fun. My very first gun was a savage arms 22LR which was bolt action.

levers are fun. I prefer pump action rifles since I grew up shooting skeet with my dad's Model 37 Ithaca but my first 22 was a Browning BL-22 lever action

I once borrowed an Ithaca M37 in 16 Ga. pump for an impromptu dove shoot and liked it so much (even though I've never been much of a pump action fan) that really really wanted to buy it from it's owner. He wouldn't sell. Recently (many years later) I was able to buy one at an estate auction and it's just as sweet and sexy as the one I borrowed.

So I took the Henry to an outdoor range where it performed very well at 50 yards. At 100, I needed to use a bench to get any accuracy, and I actually tried it at 200 yards. Set up on a bench, I did manage to hit the target consistently. But accuracy suffered. Mainly because I couldn't see the target well. I'm using steel sights only btw.

Newest new toy, Taurus 32 H & R Magnum:
image.jpeg

If you are interested in the guns that really won the west get past the Colt and Winchester myth (early 1900s advertising).

The most prevalent, most used and the most versatile was the shotgun, percussion and shell fed. Next to that was the military Springfield model 1873 trapdoor used by the infantry (the largest unsung contingent of soldiers out west).

The Springfield
9567217_1.jpg

Pretty sure everyone here knows what a shotgun looks like...... But if not...... :D

Belgian%20Shotgun.jpg

0815-1.jpg

The famous Coachgun (my next purchase).

CIM1878CGlg.jpg
I have the Springfield Model 1884 .45/70 my father bought in 1926 for 50 cents. At age 12 in 1951 my father allowed me to hunt alone and I shot my first buck,an 8 pointer, at 150 yards. I started hunting rabbits at age 8 in 1947. In both cases it would be considered child abuse today.

If you are interested in the guns that really won the west get past the Colt and Winchester myth (early 1900s advertising).

The most prevalent, most used and the most versatile was the shotgun, percussion and shell fed. Next to that was the military Springfield model 1873 trapdoor used by the infantry (the largest unsung contingent of soldiers out west).

The Springfield
9567217_1.jpg

Pretty sure everyone here knows what a shotgun looks like...... But if not...... :D

Belgian%20Shotgun.jpg

0815-1.jpg

CIM1878CGlg.jpg
I have the Springfield Model 1884 .45/70 my father bought in 1926 for 50 cents. At age 12 in 1951 my father allowed me to hunt alone and I shot my first buck,an 8 pointer, at 150 yards. I started hunting rabbits at age 8 in 1947. In both cases it would be considered child abuse today.
Yeah, my dad was raised in the back woods of Wisconsin and was hunting at 8 years of age. Apparently the area he was raised in was hazardous to the health of game wardens as most people there relied on hunting year round to survive.

The Springfield
9567217_1.jpg

Belgian%20Shotgun.jpg

0815-1.jpg

CIM1878CGlg.jpg
Yeah, my dad was raised in the back woods of Wisconsin and was hunting at 8 years of age. Apparently the area he was raised in was hazardous to the health of game wardens as most people there relied on hunting year round to survive.
I was raised in the hills of Western Maryland, in the Tri-state area of MD,WV and PA. We have had game wardens disappear never to be seen again. Wild game year round was a must in that area. Still is for some.

This week if all goes well, I'll be purchasing a Henry lever-action 357 magnum rifle.

Well actually it isn't just a toy. It's for hunting too. I have found that I'm getting in closer range of the Wild Hogs here in Florida, at at close range the scope on my 30-06 is a hindrance instead of a help. The problem is that it doesn't have steel sights. So now when I go after some bacon to fry on my AR-15 barrel, I'll bring both my Remington 700 series and my Henry 357. Just to Cover both long and close range.

I LOVE my Remington 700. There is not another rifle that I would bet my life on - in a danger situation.

The Springfield
9567217_1.jpg

Belgian%20Shotgun.jpg

0815-1.jpg

CIM1878CGlg.jpg
I was raised in the hills of Western Maryland, in the Tri-state area of MD,WV and PA. We have had game wardens disappear never to be seen again. Wild game year round was a must in that area. Still is for some.

My folks and their folks and their folks and their......were raised in Kentucky. My Dad used to tell the stories of the "Moonshiners and the Revenuers". he said that on one occasion - the state called for the National Guard to go into the hills and bring these guys to "justice". A couple of guys went up - and never came back. That went along with the 10 or 20 Feds that met the same fate. Finally - they quit even trying to bring the moonshiners down from the hills and said "to hell with it".

I LOVE my Remington 700. There is not another rifle that I would bet my life on - in a danger situation.

Oh, there are plenty out there that I would. This is one of them...

HK-G3-1962-Golden-State-19.jpg

I don't know. Everyone has their "babies". I have ALWAYS loved the 700. I mean, I have all the other toys at my disposal, the AR-10s the AR-15s, the pistols, the knives and (what the hell) even the axe! But when push comes to shove (especially when hunting Elk) I prefer NOT to be too terribly close. If I can get the big boy from 300-400 yards then walk him down - I would rather do that. I had a really bad experience in the 90s about "patience" when hunting Elk and it nearly got me killed :(

That - and the idea that I LOVE elk...... :)

I don't know. Everyone has their "babies". I have ALWAYS loved the 700. I mean, I have all the other toys at my disposal, the AR-10s the AR-15s, the pistols, the knives and (what the hell) even the axe! But when push comes to shove (especially when hunting Elk) I prefer NOT to be too terribly close. If I can get the big boy from 300-400 yards then walk him down - I would rather do that. I had a really bad experience in the 90s about "patience" when hunting Elk and it nearly got me killed :(

That - and the idea that I LOVE elk...... :)

Yeah, I love elk too. That being said the HK is every bit as accurate as your 700. What most people don't know about the HK platform (and that i took full advantage of in military rifle competitions at the local gun range) is the barrels are free floated. Yup. Free floated barrels in a battle rifle. I can shoot sub MOA with my G3 and there is no critter that is safe within 600 yards with Federal Premium ammo.

Indeed. The G3 is a bit of a conundrum. I've heard great things about it - and conversely, I've heard that they are garbage. I have never had the pleasure of firing one, or hell, even holding one.

But I've also heard that companies like, DPMS, are total garbage, yet I've fired several of them (albeit years and years ago) and thought they performed well. I remember when the first M-16s were delivered to us in Viet Nam. They were absolute horse shit. But it wasn't the platform - it was the crappy ammo. Once they fixed that problem - as well as adding a forward assist - they were gems. Beat the hell out of lugging the M-14 around the bush in 105 degree heat with 100% humidity. :(

Indeed. The G3 is a bit of a conundrum. I've heard great things about it - and conversely, I've heard that they are garbage. I have never had the pleasure of firing one, or hell, even holding one.

But I've also heard that companies like, DPMS, are total garbage, yet I've fired several of them (albeit years and years ago) and thought they performed well. I remember when the first M-16s were delivered to us in Viet Nam. They were absolute horse shit. But it wasn't the platform - it was the crappy ammo. Once they fixed that problem - as well as adding a forward assist - they were gems. Beat the hell out of lugging the M-14 around the bush in 105 degree heat with 100% humidity. :(

Original HK products are pretty much bomb proof. The problem arises with the various aftermarket garbage that flooded the market a few years back. The one drawback that they have is they are heavy, but, they simply don't stop working. When i was working in Africa I always got my hands on either a AK or HK for personal defense and I preferred the HK's.

Original HK products are pretty much bomb proof. The problem arises with the various aftermarket garbage that flooded the market a few years back. The one drawback that they have is they are heavy, but, they simply don't stop working. When i was working in Africa I always got my hands on either a AK or HK for personal defense and I preferred the HK's.

When we first transitioned from the 1911 to the 9s, I actually used a HK for about a month till the Sigs were delivered. I'll give the Europeans this: they can build guns. Period. End of story. I never had one complaint about H&K or Sig. Never one. On the reverse side, I had occasional problems with my 1911 - but never nothing major. Hell, the damned thing rattled like a set of old bones, but it did the job.

When we needed smaller caliber pistols, however, we went with Walther. Never one FTF or FTE. Not one. My Father brought a Walther P-38 home with him after WWII and he used that pistol till he died in 1984. He had a great love affair with that pistol and he never talked about it. :)

When we first transitioned from the 1911 to the 9s, I actually used a HK for about a month till the Sigs were delivered. I'll give the Europeans this: they can build guns. Period. End of story. I never had one complaint about H&K or Sig. Never one. On the reverse side, I had occasional problems with my 1911 - but never nothing major. Hell, the damned thing rattled like a set of old bones, but it did the job.

When we needed smaller caliber pistols, however, we went with Walther. Never one FTF or FTE. Not one. My Father brought a Walther P-38 home with him after WWII and he used that pistol till he died in 1984. He had a great love affair with that pistol and he never talked about it. :)

Yeah, I'm old school HK as far as the pistols go., I have the P9S and the P9 Target models in .45, i carry a HK P7 as a CCW pistol from time to time. I also have the HK4 for a small CCW pistol. I have also carried my SiG 229 so I hear ya....and agree wholeheartedly!

Yeah, I'm old school HK as far as the pistols go., I have the P9S and the P9 Target models in .45, i carry a HK P7 as a CCW pistol from time to time. I also have the HK4 for a small CCW pistol. I have also carried my SiG 229 so I hear ya....and agree wholeheartedly!

I guess, if I had one complaint about H&K, or Sig, it would be the price. But perspective is paramount. Hell, you can drop 2-3 thousand (or more) on a Les Baer or maybe an Ed Brown, so, looking at it like that, I get it.

Shoot. You get what you pay for, right? :)

Forum List

Back