New theory for global diabetes epidemic

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by JBeukema, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    New theory for global diabetes epidemic

2. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    Disease presents challenges for both rich and poor countries...
    :confused:
    Study Says Patients Not Receiving Effective Diabetes Treatment
    March 03, 2011 - A new study found no link between wealth or socioeconomic status and the likelihood of being diagnosed or treated for diabetes.

3. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Interesting theory.

Given that I suspect early mankind's typical diet was mostly at near starvation levels, it does appear to be logical.

Modern people in industrialized nations eat too well, I think.

I doubt, for example, that eating three times a day is natural and I doubt that our bodies are really designed to never be truly hungry.

Cholesterol, I'm informed is a kind of fat that the body needs to get it through times of near starvation. It is a reserve energy source for the human body that was designed to go through periods of feast (when you store this fat) and famine (when you body has no choice but to burn it).

Except few people in the industrialized really ever go though periods of famine, do they?

And so the human never goes through periods of near starvation, that cholesterol really serves no purpose, other than clogging our arteries.

I basically eat one meal a day.

I also have the cholesterol levels more typically associated with a 14 year old boy in the prime of health than a 60 year old man on the decline.

I suspect my "unhealthy" eating habits might have something to do with that.

Incidently, I'm not vegan or health nut. I eat whatever and whenever I want to my fill.

I mostly meat, a lots of butter and eggs and cheese and all the crap that modern medicine tells us is apt to kill us.

Maybe I just won a roll of the genetics dice? That is certainly one possibility to explain my cholestoral levels, I suppose.

Or maybe much of what we was taught in health class about the pyramid diet system and eating right is just completely wrong?

Time will tell, I guess.

For all our obsessional angst about smoking and drug abuse and ill health?

Most Americans die from heart disease and most American adults are either slightly or significantly too fat.

What's that really telling us?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  4. SandyP

SandyP Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This theory seems far fetched. There are a lot of factors related to the diabetes epidemic, but I don't think it has anything to do with fertility.

5. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,428
    I vaguely remember reading something quite a while ago the stated our bodies are designed for a feast and famine routine and with the advent of the information age we are much less active therefore the feast, famine cycle works against us.
    I've read accounts where frontiersmen would chew on a piece of jerky for half a day with some corn pone and that would be all they had.

6. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,035
    Not because of manmade global warming?

Are you sure?

7. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
    I think it's another Diabolical Bush Scheme. :eek: I think he was trying to End both Halloween and Easter!!!

8. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Does it not sound like the drug companies and medical people think everyone should be on drugs and taking tests all the time? If we as a race are getting sicker and sicker then why are we living longer and longer?

My theory on diabetes is that the corn syrup put in everything we eat is screwing up our bodies. And add to that the high-fructose corn syrup that is used as a sweetener. Is there a correlation between the introduction of these additives to our food chain and the resulting surge of diabetics?

9. Ernie S.

Ernie S. Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,472
    In my observation, most people who develop diabetes in adulthood are obese. This would seem to support the OP.
    My step son put on a lot of weight in his mid to late 30's and at 37, was diagnosed as a diabetic. He traded water for a year or so, watching his diet and taking his meds, but then he began to see what I do and decided to loose weight and exercise.
    He now rides his bicycle to and from work, 8 miles each way, every day.
    He's gone from 260 to 190 (he's 6'1") and has no problem controlling his sugar with diet alone. He's planning a 5 day ride from Fort Lauderdale to Key West next month.That's 400 miles round trip.

10. FurthurBB

FurthurBB Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    This is not quite accurate. Cholesterol is needed for many cellular processes and makes up different proportions of cell membranes depending on the cell's function. We store fat as an energy source for times of famine and some cholesterol, but mostly fat. Though, everyone can benefit from times of fasting. Every person, especially in the US, should do a 2 week low carb induction phase once or twice a year, even if you are thin and in good shape. it changes the shape of your LDLs, so they are less likely to get stuck on your arteries. If you have pre-diabetes, you can still fix it by practically starving yourself for 6 months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.