New SPAM filter.

Who knew that the 100 post minimum for the FZ would end up making it a safe space?

I hope this works, will get up early in the AM to see what's happening.

PS: Do the Asian spammer links even work in the 1st place? I haven't seen any that do.

Usually it points to some college in the US. I'd backtrack that college and their advertisers.

A new "sticky" announcement about our attempts to ward off foreign spammers is posted above. Please read it and help us look for any UNDESIRABLE side effects of this change.

Issues related to installation of USMB "spam filters"
spam filters won't work - this looks like real people doing it (as evidenced by some of the thread & post titles (1, 2, 3 - etc - up to 50 or 60)

I don't think you can stop this without actually requiring a moderator to approve new members - don't you have the option of giving a message as people register? Maybe something like this:

THANK YOU FOR JOINING USMESSAGEBOARD - WE DON'T LIKE OR TRUST NEW PEOPLE, SO YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO POST UNTIL WE MAKE SURE YOU WORTH A SHIT - THANKS FOR UNDERSTANDING

I know it sounds like a PITA; but there are a bunch of mods on this site, and one is almost always on

seems that it is only at really late times that no one is "on duty"

I really don't think you will lose out on many (or any) new members because they are frustrated about not being able to jump into a conversation at dark thirty in the morning

seems like these assholes will figure out how to perpetrate identity theft on a member here eventually :dunno:

why is the answer to all things on this board....make it harder for noobs to post....and banning words....or just banning in general....its not working simple as that....all these new rules on posting so many posts and all is just avoidance of dealing with issues.....in my opinion...

flacaltenn westwall AyeCantSeeYou

The posting rules for newbies was much stricter with the older software we had. Would you rather we change the posting requirement to 50 posts before new members can post a link or start a thread? (That's what it was set to before we switched to the current software a few years ago.)

and you have banned chinese characters lol.....how is that working for you?

Actually, it's working far better than what we had before the filters were installed. We are down to just a few posts getting through instead of hundreds a day.

I keep getting pop ups asking me if I want to download a file of some sort.

I had been thinking it's probably just the Muslim Brotherhood asking me to donate to Hamas, but I suppose I should allow for the possibility that it might be related to this new software instead of just assuming the obvious.

THANK YOU FOR JOINING USMESSAGEBOARD - WE DON'T LIKE OR TRUST NEW PEOPLE, SO YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO POST UNTIL WE MAKE SURE YOU WORTH A SHIT - THANKS FOR UNDERSTANDING

:lol:

There always has been a flag on suspected scammer and spammers. Just didn't do the whole job. We'd decline about 20 a day/evening/morning. The problem was always the graveyard shift.

and you have banned chinese characters lol.....how is that working for you?

Actually, it's working far better than what we had before the filters were installed. We are down to just a few posts getting through instead of hundreds a day.

Well, I'm sure we are all hoping that this helps cut down on the spammers. What we are REALLY hoping is that it would eliminate them entirely though. Lol.

New Topics

Forum List

Back