New rep system?

Feel free to make use of the scroll bar. Your attempt to pretend the information is not there unfortunately for you does not render it invisible.:cool:

I did. You've given me your opinion of why black guys call each other ******, and why white guys call each other dude, and that women only call each other the banned word to be nasty to each other.

Which of those exactly is fact?

people keep asking what is the value of having shocking words unfiltered. Well, not long ago I replied to a guy with the word SAND ****** after he freely whipped out towelhead (or some other variation of "acceptable" racism). He freaked out that id be allowed to use the word ****** while refusing to acknowledge his own vocab. **** has only as much offending power as you allow it and is certainly no more or less offensive than ******. it's a word, nothing more. I can think of a whole lotta things that are worse than being CALLED any name.

I did. You've given me your opinion of why black guys call each other ******, and why white guys call each other dude, and that women only call each other the banned word to be nasty to each other.

Which of those exactly is fact?

Hardly.

You made the claim there was no word that correlates to "******" and I provided you with several examples, one being pretty-much a dictionary-definition translation of the word that is a Mexican slur against whites. That is a fact, and it is to that I made my comment.

The rest is my opinion. I never claimed otherwise. Considering the number of places of I've lived and the number of people I've been around in my life, I'll take my opinion over yours insofar as this topic goes every time.

Enjoy.

people keep asking what is the value of having shocking words unfiltered. Well, not long ago I replied to a guy with the word SAND ****** after he freely whipped out towelhead (or some other variation of "acceptable" racism). He freaked out that id be allowed to use the word ****** while refusing to acknowledge his own vocab. **** has only as much offending power as you allow it and is certainly no more or less offensive than ******. it's a word, nothing more. I can think of a whole lotta things that are worse than being CALLED any name.

Yeah, he was a joke. Probably has his pic posted under "hypocrite" in the dictionary.

Called some Arabs "ragheads" then proceeded to mass PM me with his moral outrage that I dared allow the use of the word "******" on the board.

Some people.

Hardly.

You made the claim there was no word that correlates to "******" and I provided you with several examples, one being pretty-much a dictionary-definition translation of the word that is a Mexican slur against whites. That is a fact, and it is to that I made my comment.

The rest is my opinion. I never claimed otherwise. Considering the number of places of I've lived and the number of people I've been around in my life, I'll take my opinion over yours insofar as this topic goes every time.

Enjoy.

It might be a slur, but it doesn't have the same baggage as the word ******. As far as I know, Mexicans have never owned white people as slaves.

That's my opinion, yours is your opinion. You are certainly free to be as offended.

It might be a slur, but it doesn't have the same baggage as the word ******. As far as I know, Mexicans have never owned white people as slaves.

That's my opinion, yours is your opinion. You are certainly free to be as offended.

Whether or not Mexicans have owned whites as slaves is irrelevant just as whether or not I am offended by the word is.

By definition, the words mean the same thing. That is FACT, not my opinion.

You don't get to make up your own definitions to suit your fancy. Words mean things.

As an aside, I am not offended by being called "guero." Just as the term "******" can be used as the worst form of insult, or it can be used just talking shit, I have YET to have anyone say it to me with the intent of offending me. Most people think twice about having such thoughts. Me being such a "nice," meek looking individual and all.:badgrin:

Slavery in Colonial Mexico was quite different from that in the American South. The bulk of those enslaved remained on the land where they were born. There was no large scale buying and selling of Indian slaves. Even the blacks imported from Africa, like the Indians, were incorporated into the encomiendo system that bound them and their descendants to a particular plantation or hacienda. Over 75 percent of modern Mexico's population, have at least one Indian or Mulatto ancestor. The vast majority of them were slaves. Ironically, it is the Indians, never enslaved, who retreated into largely inaccessible mountain and jungle areas, that today make up the most destitute and deprived population in modern Mexico.
SLAVERY IN MEXICO - BY SHEP LENCHEK - IN MEXICO CONNECT

Whether or not Mexicans have owned whites as slaves is irrelevant just as whether or not I am offended by the word is.

By definition, the words mean the same thing. That is FACT, not my opinion.

You don't get to make up your own definitions to suit your fancy. Words mean things.

As an aside, I am not offended by being called "guero." Just as the term "******" can be used as the worst form of insult, or it can be used just talking shit, I have YET to have anyone say it to me with the intent of offending me. Most people think twice about having such thoughts. Me being such a "nice," meek looking individual and all.:badgrin:

I asked around and it means white boy. Since you don't feel the word boy is considered racist, I'm not sure how you can equate it to ******.

:doubt:

A superiority born of the white race negates offence in relation to heritage.Subjugation of those other than white and a relatively new found voice demands it.;)

I asked around and it means white boy. Since you don't feel the word boy is considered racist, I'm not sure how you can equate it to ******.

:doubt:

That's like saying "******" means "black boy." GMAFB.

You are being purposefully obtuse rather than admit you're wrong or just shut up.

The difference between "guero" and "******" is one is aimed at whites and the other aimed at blacks, both being equally denigrating racial slurs.

The only place difference comes into play is where you decide one racial slur is worse than the other just because you are willing to accept one and not the other. A clear double standard.

A superiority born of the white race negates offence in relation to heritage.Subjugation of those other than white and a relatively new found voice demands it.;)

Perhaps in the double standard of your mind, but not in actuality.

A presumption of superiority/inferiority does make a racial slur more or less a racial slur. I was not "born" either superior or inferior to any mortal man. Justifying one racial slur as worse than the other by making such a presumption is just an attempt to smokescreen a double standard.

Perhaps in the double standard of your mind, but not in actuality.

A presumption of superiority/inferiority does make a racial slur more or less a racial slur. I was not "born" either superior or inferior to any mortal man. Justifying one racial slur as worse than the other by making such a presumption is just an attempt to smokescreen a double standard.

As you wish.:eusa_silenced:

Gunny, is it your opinion that racism is a black and white issue...I mean, it either is racism or not and there are no degrees to it?

Gunny, is it your opinion that racism is a black and white issue...I mean, it either is racism or not and there are no degrees to it?

Within the context of this discussion, it is my opinion based on the facts that a racial slur is a racial slur and it doesn't matter which particular race it's aimed at.

How can there be "degrees" to racism? Something is racist or it is not. It either fits the definition or it does not.

The only subjectivity I see here is the same as in the "Golden Rule" discussion -- you attempt to redefine or caveat words to suit your argument.

Within the context of this discussion, it is my opinion based on the facts that a racial slur is a racial slur and it doesn't matter which particular race it's aimed at.

How can there be "degrees" to racism? Something is racist or it is not. It either fits the definition or it does not.

The only subjectivity I see here is the same as in the "Golden Rule" discussion -- you attempt to redefine or caveat words to suit your argument.

I'm not trying to redefine anything. Just trying to figure things out.

btw, when there's a similarly named soul food stand, I'd say things were getting closer to your version.

Guero’s Taco Bar

I'm not trying to redefine anything. Just trying to figure things out.

btw, when there's a similarly named soul food stand, I'd say things were getting closer to your version.

Guero’s Taco Bar

You are trying to define one racial slur as worse than another racial slur.

Someone's name is irrelevant to the conversation. You're grasping at anything you can in desperation now.

I have to admit ... I don't think I have ever seen someone quite as willfully ignorant to a topic and facts and more than willing to stay that way rather than be wrong.

My "version" happens to be the way it is. Your denial makes it no less so.

Yes, I do think one racial slur is worse than another. It doesn't mean that the person using it is less racist, it simply means that one term has more baggage than the other.

Yes, I do think one racial slur is worse than another. It doesn't mean that the person using it is less racist, it simply means that one term has more baggage than the other.

By definition it does not. The only extra baggage it carries with you is the baggage you heap upon it.

Otherwise, it's the same damned thing.

By definition it does not. The only extra baggage it carries with you is the baggage you heap upon it.

Otherwise, it's the same damned thing.

I disagree. If Geoff Davis had said about Obama, "That ******'s finger does not need to be on the button," instead of "That boy's finger does not need to be on the button," there would have been none of the dancing around about if it was racist or not.

I disagree. If Geoff Davis had said about Obama, "That ******'s finger does not need to be on the button," instead of "That boy's finger does not need to be on the button," there would have been none of the dancing around about if it was racist or not.

What if he said, "That blue gum's finger..."

Somewhere in between?

Forum List

Back