New paper finds Arctic was up to 12.6°C warmer than today

I said the circum-equatorial current ended in the Pliocene, not the Pleistocene and started in the Cretaceous. That means it was around for about 150 million years. I posted when it ended and gave links. Try doing some research for a change and stop wasting my time asking the same thing over and over!

I know what you said. I asked you to show me a graphic showing land masses in a position that would allow a circum equatorial current. I can't help but notice that you haven't provided one.

I have done the research dubya which is why I am asking the question. The research doesn't support the claim. It is you who is beliving on faith.

Again, lets see the graphic showing land masses in a position that would allow such a current.

Our present thermohaline circulation couldn't have existed with that circum-equatorial current, but to really understand why you would have to examine our present thermohaline circulation and see how heat is transferred around the planet. Don't you think packing 25 meters of sea level on ice sheets also has an effect on ocean currents?

You are simply assuming a circum equatorial current. The land masses clearly haven't allowed for any current that could be rationally called circum equatorial for more than 500 million years.

Once again, if you want to argue for a circum equatorial current, you are going to have to show me land masses in such a position to allow for such a current. So far, the fact that you haven't really hurts your argument.

The Pliocene was a major time of changes and one we know a lot about, because it wasn't that long ago.

The land masses were where they were dubya and clearly there was no possibility of a circum equatorial current with the land masses in those positions. Are you arguing that they were somewhere else? Lets see the grapic if you believe so.

A circum-equatorial current doesn't have to always be exactly at the equator, it just mainly follows the equator all the way around the world and continues itself. That's why it's a major warm current that would branch off and spread heat. You've posted maps prior to the Pliocene, so figure it out!

South America became linked to North America through the Isthmus of Panama during the Pliocene, making possible the Great American Interchange and bringing a nearly complete end to South America's distinctive large marsupial predator and native ungulate faunas. The formation of the Isthmus had major consequences on global temperatures, since warm equatorial ocean currents were cut off and an Atlantic cooling cycle began, with cold Arctic and Antarctic waters dropping temperatures in the now-isolated Atlantic Ocean.

Source: Pliocene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A circum-equatorial current doesn't have to always be exactly at the equator, it just mainly follows the equator all the way around the world and continues itself. That's why it's a major warm current that would branch off and spread heat. You've posted maps prior to the Pliocene, so figure it out!

I am afraid that it is you who needs to figure it out dubya. Here is the graphic from your own source showing the land masses during the Pliestocene:

220px-Pliocene_sst_anomaly.png

Show me where anything like a circum equatorial current could have flowed. Show me where a a current could possibly follow the equator all the way around the world. What route might it have taken to "mainly" follow the equator all the way around the world and continue itself.

Look closely at your own graphic dubya and tell me where it might have flowed.

I am afraid that it is you who needs to figure it out dubya. Here is the graphic from your own source showing the land masses during the Pliestocene:

Show me where anything like a circum equatorial current could have flowed. Show me where a a current could possibly follow the equator all the way around the world. What route might it have taken to "mainly" follow the equator all the way around the world and continue itself.

Panama arrived about 3.5 million years ago and ended the circum-equatorial current. Warm currents can't travel to the north or south and stay warm. Circum means around the world, fool! How many times do you have to be told it's the Pliocene and not the Pliestocene?

Last edited:
Pliocene (pl-sn)
The fifth and last epoch of the Tertiary Period, from about 5 to 2 million years ago. During this time the global climate became cooler and the number and expanse of grasslands and savannas increased greatly. This change in vegetation was accompanied by an increase in long-legged grazers. The land bridge between North America and South America also formed at this time, and massive ice sheets accumulated at the poles. In the later part of the epoch many of the species living in polar regions became extinct. See Chart at geologic time.

Isthmus closed about 3.5 million years ago.

Panama arrived about 3.5 million years ago and ended the circum-equatorial current. Warm currents can't travel to the north or south and stay warm. Circum means around the world, fool! How many times do you have to be told it's the Pliocene and not the Pliestocene?

Fail again dubya...the water between those two land masses would not have been nearly deep enough to have supported a CEC and besides that Africa and Asia thwart your claims. The fact is that the current you so wish for simply did not exist.

Pliocene (pl-sn)
The fifth and last epoch of the Tertiary Period, from about 5 to 2 million years ago. During this time the global climate became cooler and the number and expanse of grasslands and savannas increased greatly. This change in vegetation was accompanied by an increase in long-legged grazers. The land bridge between North America and South America also formed at this time, and massive ice sheets accumulated at the poles. In the later part of the epoch many of the species living in polar regions became extinct. See Chart at geologic time.

His claimed CEC didn't exist then either. The positions of Africa and Asia would have precluded any such current.

It doesn't matter...the whole region was a shallow sea for a verrrrrrry long time before the closure. No major current could have flowed through a shallow sea....aside from that Africa and Asia would have prevented his mythical current.

I said the circum-equatorial current ended in the Pliocene, not the Pleistocene and started in the Cretaceous. That means it was around for about 150 million years. I posted when it ended and gave links. Try doing some research for a change and stop wasting my time asking the same thing over and over!

Our present thermohaline circulation couldn't have existed with that circum-equatorial current, but to really understand why you would have to examine our present thermohaline circulation and see how heat is transferred around the planet. Don't you think packing 25 meters of sea level on ice sheets also has an effect on ocean currents?

The Pliocene was a major time of changes and one we know a lot about, because it wasn't that long ago.

Don't you mean sea ice floating on 25 meter deeper water? You are digging yourself in deeper and deeper. There has been no time when a CEC could have existed. Africa kind of precludes that.

You are definitely not a Geologist and say things like a total idiot.

I am attempting to speak down to your level so you, the SUPER DUPER GENIUS, can better understand. I see I did not go low enough.

I know what you said. I asked you to show me a graphic showing land masses in a position that would allow a circum equatorial current. I can't help but notice that you haven't provided one.

I have done the research dubya which is why I am asking the question. The research doesn't support the claim. It is you who is beliving on faith.

Again, lets see the graphic showing land masses in a position that would allow such a current.

You are simply assuming a circum equatorial current. The land masses clearly haven't allowed for any current that could be rationally called circum equatorial for more than 500 million years.

Once again, if you want to argue for a circum equatorial current, you are going to have to show me land masses in such a position to allow for such a current. So far, the fact that you haven't really hurts your argument.

The land masses were where they were dubya and clearly there was no possibility of a circum equatorial current with the land masses in those positions. Are you arguing that they were somewhere else? Lets see the grapic if you believe so.

South America became linked to North America through the Isthmus of Panama during the Pliocene, making possible the Great American Interchange and bringing a nearly complete end to South America's distinctive large marsupial predator and native ungulate faunas. The formation of the Isthmus had major consequences on global temperatures, since warm equatorial ocean currents were cut off and an Atlantic cooling cycle began, with cold Arctic and Antarctic waters dropping temperatures in the now-isolated Atlantic Ocean.

Source: Pliocene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:lol::lol::lol::lol: When has it EVER been possible for a continuous current to circle the globe in ANY LATITUDE? Show us a map for when that would be possible.

Little old Panama ended it? What about that big mass to its east, you know AFRICA!

Fail again dubya...the water between those two land masses would not have been nearly deep enough to have supported a CEC and besides that Africa and Asia thwart your claims. The fact is that the current you so wish for simply did not exist.

How in hell do you know, Asswhole? You just make shit up.

A warm current circling the world can easily go around Africa and you obviously don't know where the equator is or that warm currents aren't deep.

You call this debating AGW, when in fact you clowns debate established science. Do you have some kind of learning disability or do you clowns just troll forums with constant nonsense? Can you ever make a post where you actually know what you are talking about? Why are you clowns even on a forum discussing science. You don't know anything about the subject and just troll people who do, like: "Oh, look at me I'm a stupid right-winger who can't even learn the basics of science, but constantly tell people who know they are wrong."

You're a worthless human being, Bulltit, who just uses the internet to spread his lies!

Little old Panama ended it? What about that big mass to its east, you know AFRICA!

The geologist has discovered Africa and wants to get in the history books!

What a complete idiot you are!

Pliocene (pl-sn)

There were all kinds of things happening, in a fairly short geological time. Africa closed the gap at Gibraltar and the Mediterranean dried up. The Earth was cooling, but also drying.

All the major changes were spelled out to these clowns, but they would rather go on the internet lying their asses off to prove to the world just how stupid right-wing scum is, as if the world doesn't already know how they use the internet to spread misinformation.

Mainly because I can look at a map and understand what it says. The graphics I provided identify via different colors of blue the relative depths of the oceans at any given time period. See the light blue in the US/Panama area? Shallow sea dubya. You don't think as the surface land was moving together the sea bottom was changing as well?

And thanks for the name calling. That psychological defense again. Magical attacks on those to whom you feel inferior. From you and those like you, being called names is far better than receiving rep points.

A warm current circling the world can easily go around Africa and you obviously don't know where the equator is or that warm currents aren't deep.

Warm currents aren't deep? Really? You might for once in your life actually research something before you speak. Check the depth of the Gulf Stream or the Agulhas Current, or the East Australian Current, or the North Atlantic Drift. And you are talking about a current that you claim flowed uninterrupted around the entire earth dubya....use your brain. Such a current would have had to be very deep.

You call this debating AGW, when in fact you clowns debate established science.

Hate to break this to you dubya, but a CEC is not established science. The depth of water required to maintain such a current is pretty well understood though and what we know about the positions of the land masses at various times in conjunction with what we know about ocean currents precludes the existence of your mythican CEC.

Do you have some kind of learning disability or do you clowns just troll forums with constant nonsense?

Ahhhhhhaaa. The name calling again. Feeling particularly inferior? Don't worry about it...you are. You are the willing victim of a hoax. You should be feeling inferior.

You're a worthless human being, Bulltit, who just uses the internet to spread his lies!

Transferrence - the act of shifting emotions or feelings of inadequacy onto another...espcecially onto the one percieved as causing the feelings of inadequacy.

Try understanding yourself and why you do what you do dubya.

There were all kinds of things happening, in a fairly short geological time. Africa closed the gap at Gibraltar and the Mediterranean dried up. The Earth was cooling, but also drying.

Shallow seas dubya...shallow seas. No deep CEC. Get yourself another theory. The CEC is a dead end.

Mainly because I can look at a map and understand what it says. The graphics I provided identify via different colors of blue the relative depths of the oceans at any given time period. See the light blue in the US/Panama area? Shallow sea dubya. You don't think as the surface land was moving together the sea bottom was changing as well?

And thanks for the name calling. That psychological defense again. Magical attacks on those to whom you feel inferior. From you and those like you, being called names is far better than receiving rep points.

Warm currents aren't deep? Really? You might for once in your life actually research something before you speak. Check the depth of the Gulf Stream or the Agulhas Current, or the East Australian Current, or the North Atlantic Drift. And you are talking about a current that you claim flowed uninterrupted around the entire earth dubya....use your brain. Such a current would have had to be very deep.

Hate to break this to you dubya, but a CEC is not established science. The depth of water required to maintain such a current is pretty well understood though and what we know about the positions of the land masses at various times in conjunction with what we know about ocean currents precludes the existence of your mythican CEC.

Do you have some kind of learning disability or do you clowns just troll forums with constant nonsense?

Ahhhhhhaaa. The name calling again. Feeling particularly inferior? Don't worry about it...you are. You are the willing victim of a hoax. You should be feeling inferior.

Transferrence - the act of shifting emotions or feelings of inadequacy onto another...espcecially onto the one percieved as causing the feelings of inadequacy.

Try understanding yourself and why you do what you do dubya.

You can't understand anything, you're brain dead.

Shallow seas dubya...shallow seas. No deep CEC. Get yourself another theory. The CEC is a dead end.

Tell all the textbooks and encyclopedias in the world, fool!

All of the textbooks and encyclopedias don't claim a CEC in the first place.....

So far, I have only been able to find 2 papers that make such a claim.

In the second place, thanks again for the name calling. You must be feeling particularly inferior lately....lots of transferrence and name calling. Is it starting do dawn on you that the evidence (positions of land masses) really does prove your claims of a CEC wrong? If not, then you are maybe more dense than I thought.

The geologist has discovered Africa and wants to get in the history books!

What a complete idiot you are!

The only idiot is you who thinks a little thing called Panama is going to halt a CEC while ignoring the effing elephant in the room, name a whole damned CONTINENT.:lol::lol:

You bring new meaning to the term ignoramous.

Provide links to all these textbooks and encyclopedias then. Go ahead..I dare you, in fact I double dog dare you!:lol:

My daughter told me to say that!:lol::lol:

Provide links to all these textbooks and encyclopedias then. Go ahead..I dare you, in fact I double dog dare you!:lol:

My daughter told me to say that!:lol::lol:

A slight breach of etiquite there on your daughter's part....skipping past the double dare to the double dog dare. The only thing left is the triple dare you....and then, the coup de grace of all dares, the sinister triple-dog-dare.

Forum List

Back