New Hampshire Governor signs bill stopping non residents from voting

Amid criticism, praise, Sununu signs voter residency requirement bill into law

Good! Let the leftists WHINE...they are great at it. No more commies from Massachusetts coming over to vote in NH!

Will that stand up in the Supreme Court? Doubtful.
I found it interesting that the High Court ruled that the States have the right to purge the voters rolls in Ohio and several other states. In doing so this will clear the Dead ones off the rolls and make them re register with a pix ID.

The only thing political about this SHOULD be that whenever you hear about a politician saying they are going to "cut spending to the bone", the guy whose job it is to purge the dead people off of the voter rolls is usually the type of people who get cut. I shudder to think what type of waste goes on in the forms of payments to dead persons made by states, companies, etc... in addition to those who seek to take advantage of lax voting laws. No ID; no ballot. That should be the rule. If you can't muster the chutzpah to get the proper ID...sorry. The state has a responsibility to make elections free of charge to those who vote, they have the responsibility to accurately count the votes, and they have the responsibility to ensure that you can reasonably make it to the ballot box. They have no responsibility to make it idiot proof and falling off a log easy.

Good! Let the leftists WHINE...they are great at it. No more commies from Massachusetts coming over to vote in NH!

Like the Governor said, it will bring them in line with other States, so I'd say yes. I've never voted in didn't have a residency requirement.

i've never lived in a state, where I was not a resident, the moment I moved there....???

I found it interesting that the High Court ruled that the States have the right to purge the voters rolls in Ohio and several other states. In doing so this will clear the Dead ones off the rolls and make them re register with a pix ID.

I think that in the UK they make everyone register before each election. This would seem to be a better way, especially if everyone knows that this is the case. Then you know that everyone is actually alive.

Like the Governor said, it will bring them in line with other States, so I'd say yes. I've never voted in didn't have a residency requirement.

i've never lived in a state, where I was not a resident, the moment I moved there....???

How do you get residency in a state? Could they deny residency to people living there?

...You hate people on the left because there's a US Constitution that gives all Americans the right to vote?
Incorrect. Your adversaries despise Leftists because they promote Cultural Suicide and attempt to silence and shame and force their will upon their Opposition.

How do you get residency in a state? Could they deny residency to people living there?
no....they can't deny you.... you have to choose yourself.... you move there, you live there, you are a resident there....even if say, you worked in another state....you are a resident where you live....

now, let's say you have a residence in two states, 6 months in Florida, the other 6 months living in N.Y., then you again get to choose which state is your primary state.... you do have to choose only 1, when filing taxes.... most would pick Florida because there is no State income tax there....

but also, when voting, you have to choose your state.....you can only vote once during a single federal election. But there is nothing to stop you from registering to vote in your other state of residence when you are living there.... many people are registered in more than one state....it's not illegal.... nobody that moves to another state thinks,

oh my gosh, I need to let the state I am moving from know, that they should take me off their voter roll! :lol:

they have other means of keeping the voter rolls clean.... in Massachusetts, they mailed voter registrants a post card you had to mail back, that kept you live on the voter roll......

voting twice in the same election in two different states (or the same state), is illegal and before digital data, we were on the honor system.... now, there are close states that share data to prevent you from voting twice.... but it is not a unified system across all states....

no....they can't deny you.... you have to choose yourself.... you move there, you live there, you are a resident there....even if say, you worked in another state....you are a resident where you live....

now, let's say you have a residence in two states, 6 months in Florida, the other 6 months living in N.Y., then you again get to choose which state is your primary state.... you do have to choose only 1, when filing taxes.... most would pick Florida because there is no State income tax there....

but also, when voting, you have to choose your state.....you can only vote once during a single federal election. But there is nothing to stop you from registering to vote in your other state of residence when you are living there.... many people are registered in more than one state....it's not illegal.... nobody that moves to another state thinks,

oh my gosh, I need to let the state I am moving from know, that they should take me off their voter roll! :lol:

they have other means of keeping the voter rolls clean.... in Massachusetts, they mailed voter registrants a post card you had to mail back, that kept you live on the voter roll......

voting twice in the same election in two different states (or the same state), is illegal and before digital data, we were on the honor system.... now, there are close states that share data to prevent you from voting twice.... but it is not a unified system across all states....

When it comes to voting, who do you tell you've chosen?

If you're in MA and you also live in FL, how do both states know which is your state for voting in?

If you're in MA and you also live in FL, how do both states know which is your state for voting in?
They don't.

You could literally vote in one state and then take a plane to the other and vote there.

My father is still registered to vote in Kentucky when he lives in Indiana, despite the fact that I have told them to take him off the Kentucky voter rolls twice now.

my 6 months in two different states is a bad example to use...

for me and Matt, when we moved to a new state, it was always permanent with the intent to set up a domicile there...new jobs, new homes, new banks.... you were allowed only a certain amount of time to get a state drivers license and tags for your car, if you planned to set up residence there.... we always got our drivers licenses immediately, which also registered us to vote if we said yes to the clerk at the time....

that was it....easy peasy.... we never told the previous State to unregister us to vote when we left....

that part could be a problem....???

making college students living in state 9 months of the year, pay to register their cars in NH or to pay for a new hampshire driver's license may be considered a poll tax, in order to vote?

They don't. The law provides:

"
(5) A valid student identification card if:
(A) The card is issued by:
(i) A college, university, or career school in New Hampshire and approved to operate or licensed to operate in New Hampshire.
(ii) A public high school in New Hampshire.
(iii) A nonpublic high school in New Hampshire accredited by a private school accrediting agency that is recognized by the department of education.
(iv) Dartmouth College.
(v) A college or university operated"

College students can use their college ID.

http://sos.nh.gov/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=8589972935

.>>>>

Last edited:
The 24th amendment allows for every citizen of appropriate voting age to participate in the election without paying a poll tax. The voting age was set to 18 years of age by the 26th amendment.

making college students living in state 9 months of the year, pay to register their cars in NH or to pay for a new hampshire driver's license may be considered a poll tax, in order to vote?

The New Hampshire law also provides for a free voter identification ID card issued at no expense to the requestor:

" V. (a) The fee for such card shall be $10 and is not refundable, except that no fee shall be charged to any person who, for reason of health or age, turns in his or her driver's license before the expiration date of such license. For purposes of this section, reasons of age shall be deemed to apply only to those persons over age 65. A person who requires a photo identification card only for voter identification purposes may obtain a voucher in the form provided for in subparagraph (b) from his or her town or city clerk or the secretary of state exempting the voter from the identification card fee. Upon presentation of the voucher to the division, the actual costs of issuing the card shall be paid by the secretary of state from the election fund established under RSA 5:6-d. An identification card paid for by the secretary of state shall be valid for voter identification purposes only, and the card, which shall be known as a voter identification card, shall be marked "for voter identification only.''

2015 New Hampshire Revised Statutes :: Title XXI - MOTOR VEHICLES :: Chapter 260 - ADMINISTRATION OF MOTOR VEHICLE LAWS :: Section 260:21 - Identification Cards.

.>>>>

>

IMHO, we should do away with the false premise that college students that don't meet residency requirements for the state in which they attend college are disenfranchised from being able to vote.

That is untrue, college students - like military personnel - can always vote in the location where they are a permanent resident.

College students who live in the dorm, by their nature are not permanent residents. They are transitory and depending on their specific situation may (or may not) be considered permanent residents. If you stay in the dorm you are kicked out during summer, fall, and winter breaks. Students can even kicked out of the dorm during inclement weather. My kids attended Virginia college and my wife works for a Virginia University. When a hurricane approaches, the University closes the dorms and the students are required to leave.

I don't have a problem with college students voting in local, state and federal elections **IF** they establish residency in the local area. That normally includes establishing a permanent domicile (the dorm is not a permanent domicile), registering to vote in the local area, paying taxes in the local area, and obtaining a local/state ID for that location. The idea though that transient students should be able to vote in local elections while not being a resident (not having a permanent domicile and not paying local and state taxes) - while keeping an out of state ID (drivers/non-driver ID/license) and keeping their tax basis at another location is not right. You should vote where you have established permanent residency and yes - absentee voting is a perfectly valid means of voting. I know I did it for 20 years while traveling around the country and the world.

On the other hand if you are a college students and DON'T live in the dorm and rent an apartment off university grounds, then you are establishing a permanent domicile (the university doesn't kick you out for weather and breaks) and are paying local taxes. Unlike living in the dorm where non-profit and state universities don't pay property taxes, a renter pays property tax through their rent.

I can't speak for NH, but in VA, if you are a full time college student and working, you are required by motor vehicle law to obtain a VA Drivers License and register your vehicle in VA. If you are a full time student and not working, then you can keep your out-of-state license and registration and drive in VA.

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

.>>>>

Last edited:

my 6 months in two different states is a bad example to use...

for me and Matt, when we moved to a new state, it was always permanent with the intent to set up a domicile there...new jobs, new homes, new banks.... you were allowed only a certain amount of time to get a state drivers license and tags for your car, if you planned to set up residence there.... we always got our drivers licenses immediately, which also registered us to vote if we said yes to the clerk at the time....

that was it....easy peasy.... we never told the previous State to unregister us to vote when we left....

So, if you went back to your old state, would you be able to vote, even if it's technically illegal?

Really, I've lived in States where I resided and owned homes for almost 3 years and was never a legal resident and voted in another State. But even in your State, you have to change your drivers license within 30 days of moving there.

Bet you've heard this one, Danny....

“When I die, bury me in Chicago because I want to remain politically active”

The 24th amendment allows for every citizen of appropriate voting age to participate in the election without paying a poll tax. The voting age was set to 18 years of age by the 26th amendment.

The New Hampshire law also provides for a free voter identification ID card issued at no expense to the requestor:

" V. (a) The fee for such card shall be $10 and is not refundable, except that no fee shall be charged to any person who, for reason of health or age, turns in his or her driver's license before the expiration date of such license. For purposes of this section, reasons of age shall be deemed to apply only to those persons over age 65. A person who requires a photo identification card only for voter identification purposes may obtain a voucher in the form provided for in subparagraph (b) from his or her town or city clerk or the secretary of state exempting the voter from the identification card fee. Upon presentation of the voucher to the division, the actual costs of issuing the card shall be paid by the secretary of state from the election fund established under RSA 5:6-d. An identification card paid for by the secretary of state shall be valid for voter identification purposes only, and the card, which shall be known as a voter identification card, shall be marked "for voter identification only.''

2015 New Hampshire Revised Statutes :: Title XXI - MOTOR VEHICLES :: Chapter 260 - ADMINISTRATION OF MOTOR VEHICLE LAWS :: Section 260:21 - Identification Cards.

.>>>>

That's a winner! Why can't my state do that? Oh yeah, they're greedy AF. Double the license/tag/permit fees/taxes of most other states.

Forum List

Back