New Discovery: NASA Study Proves Carbon Dioxide Cools Atmosphere

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
I understand that this is a site that's leaning "conservative"; Don't really trust it but I'll post it.

Written by H. Schreuder & J. O'Sullivan

A recent NASA report throws the space agency into conflict with its climatologists after new NASA measurements prove that carbon dioxide acts as a coolant in Earth's atmosphere.

NASA's Langley Research Center has collated data proving that “greenhouse gases” actually block up to 95 percent of harmful solar rays from reaching our planet, thus reducing the heating impact of the sun. The data was collected by Sounding of the Atmosphere using Broadband Emission Radiometry, (or SABER). SABER monitors infrared emissions from Earth’s upper atmosphere, in particular from carbon dioxide (CO2) and nitric oxide (NO), two substances thought to be playing a key role in the energy balance of air above our planet’s surface.
Principia Scientific Intl | New Discovery: NASA Study Proves Carbon Dioxide Cools Atmosphere

So you are changing your previous claims regarding warming in favor of cooling now? Convenient... It's not warming anymore so now it's cooling which was what others said before but you guys went off over it... WOW, ecomentalists are truly astounding...

It's amazing. I doubt they have much idea of the complexity of the system that they're trying to figure out.

This is part of the problem. Good luck forecasting it.

Well we certainly know we can't trust the previous alarmist claims..

The itsy-bitsy problem with Matthew's source is that it got what NASA supposedly said very badly wrong.

Solar Storm Dumps Gigawatts into Earth's Upper Atmosphere - NASA Science

It never says CO2 absorbed any solar particles. It says the atmosphere, which is mostly not CO2, absorbed them, and then CO2 re-radiated the energy. Exactly as one would expect from AGW theory, so this is yet another confirmation of it.

Naturally, certain parties will now swear NASA deliberately faked the data. It's pretty much all they can do.

The itsy-bitsy problem with Matthew's source is that it got what NASA supposedly said very badly wrong.

It never says CO2 absorbed any solar particles. It says the atmosphere, which is mostly not CO2, absorbed them, and then CO2 re-radiated the energy. Exactly as one would expect from AGW theory, so this is yet another confirmation of it.

Naturally, certain parties will now swear NASA deliberately faked the data. It's pretty much all they can do.

And your point is? He didn't specify the manner it was cooled,only that the paper made the claim it was cooled...

LOL, I find it telling that the "warming" stopped and now all there BS before about it is magically altered to mean cooling...

Looks you and socks need to adjust the shtick again...

And your point is?

1. That Matthew's conservatives source got it horribly wrong. Because conservative sources suck at science.

2. That you fell for it too, because it never occurred to you to just read the paper. After all, you thought it said what you wanted to hear, so there was no reason to look at it. That's how your cult works.

• Banned

Thanks for informing me. ;) I wasn't really sure if I could trust this or not.

This really didn't smell right to me, but I wanted to post it to get debate.

Last edited:
And your point is?

1. That Matthew's conservatives source got it horribly wrong. Because conservative sources suck at science.

2. That you fell for it too, because it never occurred to you to just read the paper. After all, you thought it said what you wanted to hear, so there was no reason to look at it. That's how your cult works.

uh-huh... so you are saying that NASA had it wrong, matt did, or the website?

Do you often like to dispute yourself?

Your linked source...

“This was the biggest dose of heat we’ve received from a solar storm since 2005,” says Martin Mlynczak of NASA Langley Research Center. “It was a big event, and shows how solar activity can directly affect our planet.”

Mlynczak is the associate principal investigator for the SABER instrument onboard NASA’s TIMED satellite. SABER monitors infrared emissions from Earth’s upper atmosphere, in particular from carbon dioxide (CO2) and nitric oxide (NO), two substances that play a key role in the energy balance of air hundreds of km above our planet’s surface.

“Carbon dioxide and nitric oxide are natural thermostats,” explains James Russell of Hampton University, SABER’s principal investigator. “When the upper atmosphere (or ‘thermosphere’) heats up, these molecules try as hard as they can to shed that heat back into space.”

Hmm seems they disagree with you genius... The "dose of heat" was from the sun, the atmosphere cooled it thankfully, showing one of it's jobs in action. The funny part is it didin't create massive heating on the planets surface... COOLING TOOL!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!

You guys are too damn funny....

Hmm seems they disagree with you genius...

Yes! I finally got you to read!

The funny part is it didn't create massive heating on the planets surface... COOLING TOOL!!!

Of course not. Most charged particles don't make it beyond the thermosphere, which is the layer being discussed here. They never heat the surface.

AGW theory says the thermosphere is getting _cooler_ due to increased CO2.

AGW theory says the surface is getting hotter due to increased CO2.

This incident showed the thermosphere cooling from the CO2, as AGW theory predicted.

AGW theory correct again. Golly, what a surprise.

Hmm seems they disagree with you genius...

Yes! I finally got you to read!

The funny part is it didn't create massive heating on the planets surface... COOLING TOOL!!!

Of course not. Most charged particles don't make it beyond the thermosphere, which is the layer being discussed here. They never heat the surface.

AGW theory says the thermosphere is getting _cooler_ due to increased CO2.

AGW theory says the surface is getting hotter due to increased CO2.

This incident showed the thermosphere cooling from the CO2, as AGW theory predicted.

AGW theory correct again. Golly, what a surprise.

LOL, got it .. Its hot its warming, its cold its warming, no matter what it does its warming...ROFL thanks for clarifying junior...

I understand that this is a site that's leaning "conservative"; Don't really trust it but I'll post it.

Written by H. Schreuder & J. O'Sullivan

A recent NASA report throws the space agency into conflict with its climatologists after new NASA measurements prove that carbon dioxide acts as a coolant in Earth's atmosphere.

NASA's Langley Research Center has collated data proving that “greenhouse gases” actually block up to 95 percent of harmful solar rays from reaching our planet, thus reducing the heating impact of the sun. The data was collected by Sounding of the Atmosphere using Broadband Emission Radiometry, (or SABER). SABER monitors infrared emissions from Earth’s upper atmosphere, in particular from carbon dioxide (CO2) and nitric oxide (NO), two substances thought to be playing a key role in the energy balance of air above our planet’s surface.
Principia Scientific Intl | New Discovery: NASA Study Proves Carbon Dioxide Cools Atmosphere

welcome back to 1975

http://denisdutton.com/newsweek_coolingworld.pdf

Forum List

Back