Here's how to think about climate change

At the core of the human-caused climate change dogma is the idea of the carbon footprint-

Don't be absurd.The heart of the science is that all of the hard data that shows how human emissions of CO2 are causing strong global warming.

You're trying to deflect from that simple fact with weird political conspiracy theories.

If all the data didn't say you were babbling nonsense, you could address the scientific facts instead of deflecting with conspiracy theories. But the data does say that, leaving conspiracy theories as the only option you see as viable.
You are an idiot. Carbon footprint and carbon emissions are the same thing. The point is that, unless the climate warriors advocate an end to the immigration epoch, they are phonies and only after power. In other words, they are doing more harm than good.

At the core of the human-caused climate change dogma is the idea of the carbon footprint-

Don't be absurd.The heart of the science is that all of the hard data that shows how human emissions of CO2 are causing strong global warming.

You're trying to deflect from that simple fact with weird political conspiracy theories.

If all the data didn't say you were babbling nonsense, you could address the scientific facts instead of deflecting with conspiracy theories. But the data does say that, leaving conspiracy theories as the only option you see as viable.
You are an idiot. Carbon footprint and carbon emissions are the same thing. The point is that, unless the climate warriors advocate an end to the immigration epoch, they are phonies and only after power. In other words, they are doing more harm than good.

She is first and foremost a zealot...and then an idiot...

An interesting thought experiment ... but it sounds like Street Juice set the conclusion and worked backwards from there ... just cherry picking statistics to fit the conclusion ... and ignoring any others ... I would have looked at average per capita income, to see how well this correlates to CO2 output and immigration ... wealthy countries produce CO2 like it's good for the environment plus wealthy countries attract poor and hungry folks like flies to a dead horse ...

Ultimately ... following Street Juice's logic ... the wealthy country that fully opens her borders to immigrants will see an increase in the average per capita income, which in turn drives up the carbon dioxide emissions ... making said wealthy country even wealthier ...
Wealth is a non-starter, politically. Immigration moratorium is politically popular.

Wealth is a non-starter, politically. Immigration moratorium is politically popular.

Haw haw haw ... that's incredibly funny ... politics is nothing but wealth ... if US citizens were willing to be itinerant farm laborers, they wold be, and Joe Farmer wouldn't have to hire Mexicans to harvest his cucumber fields ... I'm fine if we want to stop all immigration, just don't complain later about high food prices ... or foods shipped in from overseas laced with dioxins ...

Immigration isn't the problem..illegal immigration is the problem. I have no problem with letting immigrants come here to do a temporary job, make some money and go home...it is when they start staying illegally and feeding at the government trough that the problems start. If they want to come here and stay..then they should be forced to jump through the immigration hoops or be sent back home.

Immigration isn't the problem..illegal immigration is the problem. I have no problem with letting immigrants come here to do a temporary job, make some money and go home...it is when they start staying illegally and feeding at the government trough that the problems start. If they want to come here and stay..then they should be forced to jump through the immigration hoops or be sent back home.

Absolutely ...

I think the laws are wrong ... they need to be corrected ... until then we have to follow the laws as they are ...

What you describe used to be called the Guest Worker Program ... Mexican nationals were vetted by both governments and issued a 6 month work permit, the Mexican goes home with all that money and both sides profit ... as far as "feeding at the government trough", any Federal program is allowed to ask about immigration status and enforce any violations of the law ... at the State level, it's profoundly more expensive to enforce immigration laws than it is to just simply give out the State benefits ...

If it wasn't expensive, the Federales would enforce immigration laws themselves ... but they don't ... hire more border agents, problem solved ...

Haw haw haw ... that's incredibly funny ... politics is nothing but wealth ... if US citizens were willing to be itinerant farm laborers, they wold be, and Joe Farmer wouldn't have to hire Mexicans to harvest his cucumber fields ... I'm fine if we want to stop all immigration, just don't complain later about high food prices ... or foods shipped in from overseas laced with dioxins ...
People are reliably clueless about economics. The amount of money that field labor contributes to the price of a head of lettuce is roughly 5 cents. What do you think happens to it after the field hand picks it? It jumps directly from his hands to your salad bowl?

Absolutely ...

I think the laws are wrong ... they need to be corrected ... until then we have to follow the laws as they are ...

What you describe used to be called the Guest Worker Program ... Mexican nationals were vetted by both governments and issued a 6 month work permit, the Mexican goes home with all that money and both sides profit ... as far as "feeding at the government trough", any Federal program is allowed to ask about immigration status and enforce any violations of the law ... at the State level, it's profoundly more expensive to enforce immigration laws than it is to just simply give out the State benefits ...

If it wasn't expensive, the Federales would enforce immigration laws themselves ... but they don't ... hire more border agents, problem solved ...
at the State level, it's profoundly more expensive to enforce immigration laws than it is to just simply give out the State benefits ...
No it's not. It is simple matter of asking for ID.

Every job a foreigner takes lowers your neighbor's pay.

There are some jobs that Americans simply don't want to do any more...and while an immigrant temporary farm worker might add a nickel to the price of a head of lettuce, how much do you think an American who thinks he should be paid $15 an hour to pick lettuce, and get medical, dental, and FMLA benefits would add to the cost of each head? Considerably more than a nickel I would wager.

I see mexicans out in the fields in my part of the world planting and harvesting tobacco every year...if farmers had to pay Americans the wages and benefits they would expect, my bet is that the land would not even be being planted...it would probably be the site for the newest neighborhood....like we need more of those blights on the landscape..

People are reliably clueless about economics. The amount of money that field labor contributes to the price of a head of lettuce is roughly 5 cents. What do you think happens to it after the field hand picks it? It jumps directly from his hands to your salad bowl?

People are reliably clueless about farm operations ... What does it matter how cheap the harvest costs if no one does it? ... any break in the supply chain breaks the entire supply chain ... do you honesty think lettuce is harvested year-round? ... no, it's a few weeks, then the pickers move 100 miles to the cucumbers for a few weeks, then peaches up north, sprouts on the coast, then almonds and walnuts ... folks who pick these crops have to travel hundreds of miles per season, living in tents and cardboard boxes for up to six month every year ... year after year ... simple economics, pay 10¢ a head and see if US citizens will take that job ...

at the State level, it's profoundly more expensive to enforce immigration laws than it is to just simply give out the State benefits ...
No it's not. It is simple matter of asking for ID.

Ah ... you must not be from the United States ... we're not required to have ID here ... it's perfectly legal for me to walk down the street without ID ... indeed it's actual rare for young children to even possess ID ... as far as I know, only TSA requires Real ID™, but that's Federal ... it's not required here for anything else, Federal or State ...

Remember; welfare, food stamps and WIC are all Federal programs, all that information goes through ICE ... any lack of immigration law enforcement there is strictly a problem with Federal funding ... State benefits are mostly public schools, and state laws that require ALL children receive a free and fair public education ... all that information is NOT sent through ICE ... ICE doesn't want it, they're not going to come and arrest a 6-year-old child and throw them in prison just because the child doesn't have ID ... or do we take teachers out of the classroom to vet each and every student? ...

Much better for my neighbor to get laid off because the company moved operations to Cambodia ... "People are reliably clueless about economics" ...

There are some jobs that Americans simply don't want to do any more...and while an immigrant temporary farm worker might add a nickel to the price of a head of lettuce, how much do you think an American who thinks he should be paid $15 an hour to pick lettuce, and get medical, dental, and FMLA benefits would add to the cost of each head? Considerably more than a nickel I would wager.

I see mexicans out in the fields in my part of the world planting and harvesting tobacco every year...if farmers had to pay Americans the wages and benefits they would expect, my bet is that the land would not even be being planted...it would probably be the site for the newest neighborhood....like we need more of those blights on the landscape..
No one wants to pick strawberries. It's hot, back-breaking work. Why should a lawyer get $300 / hour and a strawberry picker $8 / hour? It's not in the Bible. Maybe lawyers should get $100 / hour and strawberry pickers $20. Normally the market would sort out the price, but we let one segment of society pervert the market by importing cheaper humans from abroad, thereby driving down the wages of their fellow Americans. It's a sweet deal, because when their cheaper humans get sick or pop out a bambino that needs educatin' the employer can shove those costs on to taxpayers including on to those taxpayers whose wages he undercut.

I saw a study once where some economist was claiming that if all the illegals were sent home tomorrow, the price of milk would increase by two and a half times. I think I saw it in the Washington Post. If it's in the Post, you know not to trust it, so I ran the numbers. I found what jobs on dairy farms pay, for legal and illegal labor, what percentage of a dairy farms expenses go to labor, not counting the farmer and his family, how much of the wholesale price per hundredweight reflected the labor cost, mark-up in the supermarket--all that information is available-. It turned out that if all the illegals were replaced by Americans tomorrow who were paid the high salary the tough job deserves, milk would have shot up from something like 2.69 per gallon to $2.89. In other words, negligible. No one would have noticed. I used to visit economics stack exchange sometimes, and posted my findings there. All these professional economists started down voting me like crazy.

No one wants to pick strawberries. It's hot, back-breaking work. Why should a lawyer get $300 / hour and a strawberry picker $8 / hour? It's not in the Bible. Maybe lawyers should get $100 / hour and strawberry pickers $20. Normally the market would sort out the price, but we let one segment of society pervert the market by importing cheaper humans from abroad, thereby driving down the wages of their fellow Americans. It's a sweet deal, because when their cheaper humans get sick or pop out a bambino that needs educatin' the employer can shove those costs on to taxpayers including on to those taxpayers whose wages he undercut.

I saw a study once where some economist was claiming that if all the illegals were sent home tomorrow, the price of milk would increase by two and a half times. I think I saw it in the Washington Post. If it's in the Post, you know not to trust it, so I ran the numbers. I found what jobs on dairy farms pay, for legal and illegal labor, what percentage of a dairy farms expenses go to labor, not counting the farmer and his family, how much of the wholesale price per hundredweight reflected the labor cost, mark-up in the supermarket--all that information is available-. It turned out that if all the illegals were replaced by Americans tomorrow who were paid the high salary the tough job deserves, milk would have shot up from something like 2.69 per gallon to $2.89. In other words, negligible. No one would have noticed. I used to visit economics stack exchange sometimes, and posted my findings there. All these professional economists started down voting me like crazy.

Personally, I don't want to pay what strawberries would cost if we had to pay pickers $20 an hour plus benefits to pick them. And I am not talking about illegals...I am talking about people who are here legally to perform a temporary job and then go back home when it is over. Illegals are costing us a fortune and should be sent home to either stay there, or come here legally.

you could pay them $30 per hour and the change in the price of strawberries would be less than a dollar per pint. and farmers might even switch over to harvesting machines

. folks who pick these crops have to travel hundreds of miles per season, living in tents and cardboard boxes for up to six month every year ... year after year ... simple economics, pay 10¢ a head and see if US citizens will take that job ...
God you're dumb.

Why should a lawyer get $300 / hour and a strawberry picker $8 / hour? It's not in the Bible.

I'm pretty sure the bible doesn't provide a schedule of wages on a per profession basis. Perhaps in one of the appendices?

If you don't like that your lawyer gets $300 and hour, offer him (or her) $8. See what they say.

As for your strawberries, you're perfectly free to pay more to the supermarket, let them pass it on to the picker.

farmers might even switch over to harvesting machines

They're not quite there yet.

Robots Are Trying To Pick Strawberries. So Far, They're Not Very Good At It

00792_unit_5_robot_thumb_glossy_screen.jpg

Why should a lawyer get $300 / hour and a strawberry picker $8 / hour? It's not in the Bible.
If you don't like that your lawyer gets $300 and hour, offer him (or her) $8. See what they say.
I know lawyers who bill at a thousand dollars per hour. So what? The point I was making was that none of it is set in stone, but some people act like it would be a sin to pay a strawberry worker $20 per hour.

The point I was making was that none of it is set in stone

No, it's set by something much more powerful. The market.

As long as enough strawberry pickers are willing to do the job for $8 ... the price will be $8.

Forum List

Back