New and looking to talk about race relations

I don't think marching will solve a thing. Constructive actions make all the difference. Marching is more like see us, help us. Walking kids to school, working two jobs, volunteering at civic projects and other similar actions actually help.

upload_2016-7-16_13-56-49.png

Ever since Jesse Jackson very deliberately wiped MLK Jr's blood on his shirt, Civil Rights has gone from an important movement in American history to a tool used by cynical opportunists.

I am new to the forum. Found the site after watching another social media hate-fest of crappy comments by a divided people. In a nutshell, I think we need to talk and heal this country. Seen so many posts by black people who have given up that there are white people who can listen. Tired of white people not stopping to really listen. Blame rips us apart as a nation. It's like two angry people in the middle of a divorce. The media is throwing gas on everything, everywhere. In the middle of all this crazy finger pointing, how can we heal? I'm listening, I want to help.
I'm a white conservative person. For the record, I dislike Trump and will probably vote libertarian this year.
It would be nice if you fill out your LOCATION field in the ABOUT ME screen.

With politics it always helps to know if you are from a red state or a blue state or a purple state.

There are a lot of crappy comments here from the far right fringe as usual, and an occasional reply from the left to them. There are one or two nonpartisan moderates here also, but then if you are you are always going to get accused of being far left. Conserva-turd and liber-turd are ad homs that come up a lot here as everywhere.

As far as race, the American police with their trigger happy policing have created the present racial unrest which is mostly a negro phenomenon. Whites are not out on the streets demonstrating and protesting that White Lives Matter or even that All Lives Matter. From Giuliani's perspective it would seem a-priori self-evident that BLM is racist particularly since trigger happy police shoot more white people than black.

Bottom line is when a cop pulls you over, keep your hands where he/she can see them, and do what you are told. That has kept me alive several times when I have had tail lights burnt out.

I think the police look for reasons to pull people over and burned out tail lights is their favorite reason. Or so it would seem.

Ever since Jesse Jackson very deliberately wiped MLK Jr's blood on his shirt, Civil Rights has gone from an important movement in American history to a tool used by cynical opportunists.

No truer words will be spoken today.
Ridge runner is a very old man with a short memory span so anytime he hears anything it is the truest words ever spoken since it is the only thing he can remember.

:D

As far as race, the American police with their trigger happy policing have created the present racial unrest...
I think the police look for reasons to pull people over and burned out tail lights is their favorite reason. Or so it would seem.

You need to grow up, kid.

Thanks for the replies. Here is my thought on this whole thing.
What we have here is a failure to communicate :) It IS hard to hear people tell you that you are the reason that they can't get ahead, when you never personally met them. Blaming "them" for blaming "us" is a circular blame game...not fixing anything. How can we help stop this crap and move on? I'm looking for concrete steps. If black folks don't feel heard, maybe we're not listening very well. Maybe we should listen with an open mind.
Now, I do not feel responsible for anyone but myself and family. My family fought for the north in the civil war. I have history back to the 1600's and we weren't slave holders. I have had family turned down for promotion for being white and have had to pay more for my daughter's education (long story there). I'm not sure how my white skin made me responsible for social ills, but what I can do is listen. No conversations are had by hurling insults.

Forgive this analogy. Back to the divorce illustration. Racism will not heal until the problems are heard and the parts that are still broken are addressed.

Years ago I was abused in a marriage. When I finally left, I was in pain. For a while I spent time in the man-haters club. I thought they all lied. It was a stage. I healed over time and realized not all men were bad. Heck, some were wonderful. But in crisis and in pain, I couldnt receive that message. Fast forward 10 years to a happy, solid marriage. I learned to 1, pick better and accept responsibility for picking my chosen companion and 2. trust.

Black folks in America did have abuse behind them. Sometimes they still do. Maybe some people cannot see or feel anything else right now.
Gen/Pres Hyrum Ulysses "U.S." Grant predicted race riots when he wrote his Memoirs back in the 1880's.

We have had them off and on since then.

I live near 3 big cities and I have to be careful where I go and when I go because a race riot can break out anytime anywhere. These days they are even overrunning freeways too.

Mobs are dangerous things. They must be avoided like the plague.

And if they come into your neighborhood you better have a lot of shotgun and carbine ammo available and ready to go. Pick off the big ones with the Molotov cocktails in their hands first.

If the rest don't run then just zero-in on them next.

If they do run then just lead them a little like in trap and skeet.

:D

Ridge runner is a very old man with a short memory span so anytime he hears anything it is the truest words ever spoken since it is the only thing he can remember.

I will agree that I don't remember as well as I used to, and it more than likely is due to age. I do remember the day MLK was shot. And I also have memories of jj making a substantial living of being a Race Vendor. He has peddled racist BS around for 50 years and literally blackmailed business's into funding his rainbow coalition for his own personal gain.
That being said... You can kiss my ass...

I am new to this forum. I grew up in the 70s as a sort of "hippie" type, although, by then, hippiedom had been pretty much co-opted by commercial interests. I was all about racial harmony and equality. Fast forward to now. I drove a taxicab for about 15 years. I worked at the state Motor Vehicles division for about the same amount of time. I am recently retired. I am still a liberal about economic policy and healthcare, but I am having a hard time with the race issue. When I was a cab driver, in a mid-size New England city, the black passengers were up and away the worst. They rarely gave a tip. The young black men were dangerous, especially at night. I was robbed by one, and had numerous young blacks run off without paying. To be fair, whites and Hispanics did that as well. And they were the rudest demographic of fares. Whites were rude, and so were Hispanics, but blacks were probably the worst. And I have had numerous times in my life when, for nothing I did, I was verbally attacked by black people. Yes, white people are not always great. But it seems that my experience with black people has been overwhelmingly negative. How can I deal with this? I am not looking to be attacked verbally. If you don't have anything constructive to say, kindly refrain from saying anything. I want to change, but I don't know how.

I've lived in MA all my life. The house is paid for, on a rural street but not far from a city. It would take a lot for me to move.

I am new to the forum. Found the site after watching another social media hate-fest of crappy comments by a divided people. In a nutshell, I think we need to talk and heal this country. Seen so many posts by black people who have given up that there are white people who can listen. Tired of white people not stopping to really listen. Blame rips us apart as a nation. It's like two angry people in the middle of a divorce. The media is throwing gas on everything, everywhere. In the middle of all this crazy finger pointing, how can we heal? I'm listening, I want to help.
I'm a white conservative person. For the record, I dislike Trump and will probably vote libertarian this year.

You aren't looking for talk on race relations. You are looking for people to agree with your view of them. Which from what I see, is delusional at best. What you call "racism" wouldn't even exist unless there was some useful and necessary evolutionary need for it. You might also take a hint from Aristotle.
Aristotle.jpg

You aren't looking for talk on race relations. You are looking for people to agree with your view of them. Which from what I see, is delusional at best. What you call "racism" wouldn't even exist unless there was some useful and necessary evolutionary need for it. You might also take a hint from Aristotle.View attachment 82916

No, I am here to listen and learn. What I learned from your post is that you believe racism is a survival mechanism of some type. I am sure this was passed down to you as a family heirloom. Sounds like personal justification for douch-baggery to me.

I'll tell you about victim mentality. It robs people of their personal power. When I left the afore mentioned abusive man, I had to take stock and not all of it was pretty. I was homeless with two small kids. I was pretty sorry for myself until I got mad enough to figure I should change it.
Not much income to support the three of us. the ex told me if I asked for child support he would kill me and bury my body in the woods (he was the type to follow through). So I left anyway to a homeless shelter. I worked all day and went to school at night and had my mom move in to help with the kids and I decided that I would NEVER be in a vulnerable position like that again. It wasn't easy but I eventually made it to a safe place.
My kids both have a college degree (daughter is senior bio-chem in college) and I live in a big fancy house. The moment of change came when I owned the situation. No one to save me but me :) Also, we all write our stories. For a while I felt so unworthy I would pretend a better person was the hero in the next chapter. In time, I became strong like that person. I left the victim back behind me in the shelter.

OK ... you got me. Welcome!
First let me say this is the best "introduction" thread I've ever seen and kudos on your personal transformation and life's success. Single Mom-hood is the toughest job on the planet.

Virtually everyone harbors some group bigotry because it's more convenient than trying to judge people one-at-a-time. That said, most thoughtful peeps learn to suppress it as we learn we can benefit from experiences outside our comfort zones.

This anecdote isn't about race but rather is about otherwise capable people who not only don't help those (through income taxes) who truly need our help but require society to supplement their lifestyle:

I am a longtime friend to a single mom with 2 kids. At the cost of sleep she worked as many hours as she could - sometimes at 2 jobs - to provide them with the necessities and a few extras (hockey, dance) to let them know they are loved and that life can be worth the effort. She never even considered any gov't assistence. The lessons were learned, well received and appreciated and they both have college educations (and multiple degrees).

That was her reward but as an earner ($40,000-$60,000/yr) she's been taxed to help pay for those who don't share her senses of responsibility and self-sufficiency and this is the crux of the biscuit at the edge between taxpayer and tax-beneficiary.

Today I see many seemingly normal, healthy people (male and female, black and white) who apparently have decided to supplement their gov't bennies with the loose change they beg from strangers. They either don't know they are screwing up the system or just don't care.

I'll tell you about victim mentality. It robs people of their personal power. When I left the afore mentioned abusive man, I had to take stock and not all of it was pretty. I was homeless with two small kids. I was pretty sorry for myself until I got mad enough to figure I should change it.
Not much income to support the three of us. the ex told me if I asked for child support he would kill me and bury my body in the woods (he was the type to follow through). So I left anyway to a homeless shelter. I worked all day and went to school at night and had my mom move in to help with the kids and I decided that I would NEVER be in a vulnerable position like that again. It wasn't easy but I eventually made it to a safe place.
My kids both have a college degree (daughter is senior bio-chem in college) and I live in a big fancy house. The moment of change came when I owned the situation. No one to save me but me :) Also, we all write our stories. For a while I felt so unworthy I would pretend a better person was the hero in the next chapter. In time, I became strong like that person. I left the victim back behind me in the shelter.

OK ... you got me. Welcome!
First let me say this is the best "introduction" thread I've ever seen and kudos on your personal transformation and life's success. Single Mom-hood is the toughest job on the planet.

Virtually everyone harbors some group bigotry because it's more convenient than trying to judge people one-at-a-time. That said, most thoughtful peeps learn to suppress it as we learn we can benefit from experiences outside our comfort zones.

This anecdote isn't about race but rather is about otherwise capable people who not only don't help those (through income taxes) who truly need our help but require society to supplement their lifestyle:

I am a longtime friend to a single mom with 2 kids. At the cost of sleep she worked as many hours as she could - sometimes at 2 jobs - to provide them with the necessities and a few extras (hockey, dance) to let them know they are loved and that life can be worth the effort. She never even considered any gov't assistence. The lessons were learned, well received and appreciated and they both have college educations (and multiple degrees).

That was her reward but as an earner ($40,000-$60,000/yr) she's been taxed to help pay for those who don't share her senses of responsibility and self-sufficiency and this is the crux of the biscuit at the edge between taxpayer and tax-beneficiary.

Today I see many seemingly normal, healthy people (male and female, black and white) who apparently have decided to supplement their gov't bennies with the loose change they beg from strangers. They either don't know they are screwing up the system or just don't care.

Thanks for the warm welcome. The plight of single mom-hood is tough sometimes. The rewards are fantastic and I would do it all over again. You're right, plenty of folks of all types who have no problem living with their hand-out. Not a race thing, it's an expectation that a good life should come from little effort.

Forum List

Back