New and Improved Abortion Poll

Which of the following BEST describes your personal views about abortion?

• Abortion is murder, PERIOD!

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • I personally consider abortion immoral (with few exceptions), but I don't consider it murder.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I personally consider abortion completely moral.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I prefer not to consider the morality of abortion because to do so makes my brain hurt.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Scrap'em if you got'em!

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
using this rationale...wouldn't the morning after pill be considered abortion as well?

It might help if you quote the person you're replying to.

The morning after pill is for cases of rape. If used within 48 hours, I see no problem with it. The mental trauma the woman would likely suffer carrying a baby conceived via rape is immeasurable.

well it wasn't necessarily towards any specific person. The discussion has been about the morality of lack thereof, abortion, and it has been labeled murder. A poster mentioned the morning after pill and it made me curious. :)

well it wasn't necessarily towards any specific person. The discussion has been about the morality of lack thereof, abortion, and it has been labeled murder. A poster mentioned the morning after pill and it made me curious. :)

That would be me, and I stated a portion of my reason for thinking it's a valid alternative above.

Thank you:) I happen to agree, but like to play Devil's advocate for the sake of stimulating discussion.

To futher prove this- what of those who take the morning after pill without rape being involved? When I was in high school, I knew alot of girls who would get drunk, have sex unprotected, then run to their doc or the er for the pill.

Should there be protocol and requirements for the MA pill as some posters would like to see for abortions?

Thank you:) I happen to agree, but like to play Devil's advocate for the sake of stimulating discussion.

To futher prove this- what of those who take the morning after pill without rape being involved? When I was in high school, I knew alot of girls who would get drunk, have sex unprotected, then run to their doc or the er for the pill.

Should there be protocol and requirements for the MA pill as some posters would like to see for abortions?

The MA pill should only be dispensed after a rape. And if someone was raped, they're damn well willing to follow through on filing charges - not just show up and say "I was raped. Give me a pill." I really can't see another reason for using it.

Is there a moral difference between the prevention of a pregnancy by use of the morning after pill versus preventing a pregnancy by use of daily hormone pills?

The baby after all is just as 'not here' using either drug...

-Joe

Good question! I'm not sure if there is to the general population. I know that some people against abortion are also against birth control in it's entirety-- but I also know that the morning after pill is sometimes referred to as the abortion pill, so is morality tied to a name?

I'm not defending my views here, just wondering how others feel. (Considering my views are pretty much the complete opposite).

The MA pill should only be dispensed after a rape. And if someone was raped, they're damn well willing to follow through on filing charges - not just show up and say "I was raped. Give me a pill." I really can't see another reason for using it.
You do know that the morning after pill prevents pregnancy as opposed to terminating pregnancy, correct?

You do know that the morning after pill prevents pregnancy as opposed to terminating pregnancy, correct?

I do know that sometimes it is used to terminate a pregnancy. There was actually a doctor in Atlantic City who was giving this pill to females 6 weeks along and under rather than a D&C.

And agreed, it should not be used for anything other than rape cases, just as some posters think abortion should not be used unless it is to save the life of the mother.

That doesn't mean that is what happens.

It is also used to terminate a pregnancy..

However, CJ seems to be pretty good at speaking for me, so I'll defer to her. (Perhaps she can go tell Bass why I won't go out with him, either).. :eusa_whistle:

I think y'all are talking about two different drugs. The commonly prescribed one referred to as the morning after pill prevents pregnancy from occurring and is what is included in rape kits (well, except Alaska). The other one induces abortion.

So Shat, are you actually against birth control?

I think y'all are talking about two different drugs. The commonly prescribed one referred to as the morning after pill prevents pregnancy from occurring and is what is included in rape kits (well, except Alaska). The other one induces abortion.

So Shat, are you actually against birth control?

No.. Why would I be against *preventing* pregnancy? I'm simply against *terminating* it for stupid reasons (and yes, I have my own personal list of what I consider "stuipid" reasons). I also don't think abortion should be a matter of politics.

Is there a moral difference between the prevention of a pregnancy by use of the morning after pill versus preventing a pregnancy by use of daily hormone pills?

The baby after all is just as 'not here' using either drug...

-Joe
For one the egg does not usually attach to the uterine wall for at least three days and the morning after pill is just a high dose of birth control. So I guess one should not also be allowed to use birth control either!

I do know that sometimes it is used to terminate a pregnancy. There was actually a doctor in Atlantic City who was giving this pill to females 6 weeks along and under rather than a D&C.

And agreed, it should not be used for anything other than rape cases, just as some posters think abortion should not be used unless it is to save the life of the mother.

That doesn't mean that is what happens.
That is actually an abortion and it is different from the morning after pill!

Not if the morning after pill is used to induce an abortion. Then they are the same.
The Abortion Pill: Mifepristone and Misoprostol for Early Abortion - This is the abortion pill
Emergency contraception- - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia This is about the morning after pill which is the same thing as birth control(progestrin) and it works before inplantation, if you don't have inplantation then it is not a child. Before starting to form a child the egg must plant itself and to prevent this you either take birth control or the morning after pill. Or like me I have IUD which constantly stimulates the uterine wall so an egg can't plant itself. SO I guess by your guys standard if I have sex, I am pretty much having an abortion every time afterwords.

Last edited:
Reproduction is a biological process. Just like digestion is...it's no more moral or immoral to regulate reproduction than it is digestion.

Abortion, Mylanta...yep, same thing. :cuckoo:

I've seen you reach before but this one actually has me embarrassed for you.

So you are saying that the surgical procedure itself is immoral? Does that mean other types of abortion are moral? Or are you saying pregnancy termination itself is immoral? If so, why is it, exactly? Because a church tells us it is...or for some other reason?

I'm saying that in most cases, abortion crosses my own personal morality line. But since I don't believe in legislating morality, I'm pro-choice. I don't know how I can possibly state it more simply or clearly.

I've thought about it for a bit and this is what I've come up with.

I've got lots of fruit trees in my yard...key limes, lemons, oranges, mangoes, sapotes, avacodos...and all these trees need nurturing to bear fruit. If conditions aren't right, the trees drop their fruit and save themselves for the next season...to make sure they produce viable fruit. Some of my trees are still not recovered from hurricane Wilma that struck three years ago. Dropping their fruit is a defense mechanism to assure future crops are viable. I can no more make a moral judgment against a tree for doing what is best for her and the future of her offspring than I can make against a woman and the future of her offspring. And anyone else that does so, IMHO, is nothing more than a control freak that has no clue about biology.:eusa_hand:

Yet according to your own statements, if the metaphorical tree dropped it's fruit because it knew the fruit would be retarded, that would be immoral.

Aborting a child because it's retarded = immoral

Aborting a healthy child because caring for it would be a drag = Off limits as far as moral judgements are concerned.

Do you seriously not see the hypocrisy?

Forum List

Back