Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CA95380

USMB Member
Jul 23, 2008
Central California
You are a pro-life advocate. Parent, (or parents), of a 15 year old daughter, that becomes pregnant, and does not tell you, she is pregnant. Early in her pregnancy she becomes ill, and is hospitalized, (due to complications of the pregnancy). You, as her parent/parents, are notifified that she indeed is pregnant, however she has been diagnosed with pre-eclampsia encyclopedia topics | Reference.com (which could turn into life threatening Eclampsia for your daughter).

It is up to you to chose if the pregnacy is terminated, or if she is not allowed to terminate the pregnacy because of your "pro-life" belief.

What do you do? Do you place the life of your teenage daughter ahead of the life of her fetus, or do you allow her to have the "legal abortion" to save her life - so that she can have children in her future?

If you're a liberal?

You allow the woman whose life in on the line to make that choice.

If you're a liberal?

You allow the woman whose life in on the line to make that choice.

Liberal or not. Can "she" make that choice? I do not know the law about "teen pregnancies" so that is why I am asking.

I went to bed last night thinking about this - and thought I would throw it out for discussion. Thanks. Editec for your thoughts.

Liberal or not. Can "she" make that choice? I do not know the law about "teen pregnancies" so that is why I am asking.

You mean can she legally make that choice?

I can't imagine that her parents can impose their will to have a child or abort it on a 16 year old without her consent.

At least, I hope to hell they cannot.

I went to bed last night thinking about this - and thought I would throw it out for discussion. Thanks. Editec for your thoughts.

It's an interesting hypotetical question, isn't it?

It really does come down to whether you believe that we own our own bodies.

If we don't?

Then we're slaves.

And that's exactly why I believe that woman and ONLY woman get to choose.

Who the hell am I, or who the hell is the STATE to dictate something so fundamental as what happens to their bodies?

Last edited:
You mean can she legally make that choice?

I can't imagine that her parents can impose their will to have or abort on a 16 year old without her consent.
At least, I hope to hell they cannot.
It's an interesting hypotetical question, isn't it?
It really does come down to whether you believe that we own our own bodies.
If we don't?
Then we're slaves.

Good points and questions. I wonder if Palin's daughter was given the choice? Even though she appears to be in good health. Interesting.

Indications genetic errors may contribute to pre-eclampsia...
:confused:
'Genes for pre-eclampsia' discovered
22 March 2011 : Delivering the baby early may be the only treatment option in some instances
Scientists say they have identified genetic errors that appear to increase a pregnant woman's chance of getting the potentially life-threatening condition called pre-eclampsia. Around four in every 100 women develops this problem of high blood pressure and leaky kidneys during pregnancy. Now researchers have found faulty DNA may be to blame in some cases, PLoS Medicine journal reports. The discovery could lead to new ways to spot and treat those at risk, they say.

The US researchers from the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis analysed DNA from over 300 pregnant women. Sixty of these were otherwise healthy women who were hospitalised because they developed severe pre-eclampsia. he remaining 250 were women who were being monitored for other health complications. Forty of these also went on to develop pre-eclampsia. DNA analysis revealed a few genetic errors shared by five of the 60 otherwise healthy women and seven of the 40 "higher-risk pregnancy" women who developed pre-eclampsia.

The genes on which the errors were identified (MCP factor I and factor H) play a role in regulating immune response and the researchers believe this could explain their possible link to pre-eclampsia. Scientists have suspected that problems with the immune system provoke many cases of pre-eclampsia because women with lupus and certain other autoimmune diseases - like 250 of the women in the study - have an increased risk of the disorder. The researchers now plan to study more pregnant women and other genes to further their understanding.

Professor Basky Thilaganathan, spokesman for the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, said: "This work shows an association. "At best genes like these might identify 10-15% of pre-eclampsia, so it's relative importance may not be sensational. But it may allow us to study new treatments to prevent or delay the onset of pre-eclampsia and to know which women need closer surveillance." He said that currently the only real way to halt the condition was to deliver the baby. This can be relatively risk free if the pregnancy is nearing its natural end anyway, but can be risky if the baby is premature.

BBC News - 'Genes for pre-eclampsia' discovered

Forum List

Back