New and Improved Abortion Poll

Which of the following BEST describes your personal views about abortion?

• Abortion is murder, PERIOD!

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • I personally consider abortion immoral (with few exceptions), but I don't consider it murder.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I personally consider abortion completely moral.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I prefer not to consider the morality of abortion because to do so makes my brain hurt.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Scrap'em if you got'em!

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
I never said it wasn't. But there is also value in considering the conflicting elements and their relative importance.

But those conflicting elements are tempered by other things. For example. Is it moral to bring a child into the world who will be incapable of caring for itself? Or who will only have pain and suffering? Is it moral for someone to carry a multiple birth knowing that either she or the babies will die or that the child(ren) could be damaged due to the multiple pregnancy? Is it moral to have a child when you're a child yourself? (yes, I know with this last one, the religious sorts like saying that she should have thought about that before she had sex, but THAT is a judgment that has to be made by the individual).

Anyway, that's why I don't want anyone else making these decisions for other people. People have enough trouble governing their own lives.

Mani, I'd still like you to explain how a biological function can be moral or immoral if you can manage to do it without being an ass or making invalid analogies.

And leaving religion out of the equation.

Mani, I'd still like you to explain how a biological function can be moral or immoral if you can manage to do it without being an ass or making invalid analogies.

And leaving religion out of the equation.

Nothing can be made moral to a person who believes that it is immoral, and vise-versa.

That only leaves the questions of if there are enough of us to make them do it or not do it, and whether or not we believe we have the right to impose our will on people who 'think' differently.

-Joe

What about, let us not assign morals to a biological function.

Mani, explain how a biological function can be moral or immoral, por favor.
That is what I was thinking! There wasn't just I am Pro Choice and it is the womens right to choose if it is morally or immorally right for her to have an abortion. And even if you don't think it is morally right to have one you might still descide you want to have one

Morals are relative. Legislating morals will always end in tears.

And Manifold di actually answer the question with the pissing in the mouth bit, as...disgusting as it was. If you feel his pissing in your mouth is immoral to you, than it is immoral. To you. Key words- to you.

Personally, I think it's immoral to leave 6 year olds home alone for two hours. Some people disagree. Morals are belief systems- they are made to be diverse. But for me..Option 3 works well. My body, my choice. And the poster who stated the analogy of a zygote to a tumor makes sense to me. IMO, until it has a complete organ system and functioning brain, it cannot be murder. Unless removing a tumor is murder too? It's the same thing- a grouping of cells. Once that group of cells acts human though, my view changes a bit.

Morals are relative. Legislating morals will always end in tears.

And Manifold di actually answer the question with the pissing in the mouth bit, as...disgusting as it was. If you feel his pissing in your mouth is immoral to you, than it is immoral. To you. Key words- to you.

Personally, I think it's immoral to leave 6 year olds home alone for two hours. Some people disagree. Morals are belief systems- they are made to be diverse. But for me..Option 3 works well. My body, my choice. And the poster who stated the analogy of a zygote to a tumor makes sense to me. IMO, until it has a complete organ system and functioning brain, it cannot be murder. Unless removing a tumor is murder too? It's the same thing- a grouping of cells. Once that group of cells acts human though, my view changes a bit.
I believe in abortion until 12 weeks! And as for the six year old I think CPS might have a problem with that also. I will never tell anyone if they can or cannot have an abortion.

Nothing can be made moral to a person who believes that it is immoral, and vise-versa.

That only leaves the questions of if there are enough of us to make them do it or not do it, and whether or not we believe we have the right to impose our will on people who 'think' differently.

-Joe
That's not what I meant, though. IMO it is neither moral nor immoral--not everything is one or the other.

I believe in abortion until 12 weeks! And as for the six year old I think CPS might have a problem with that also. I will never tell anyone if they can or cannot have an abortion.

This is a good attitude as the technology has been with us for centuries and is not likely to be legislated away or simply go away on its own.

The best we can do is encourage our sphere of influence as to what we think is right and wrong.

-Joe

IMO it is neither moral nor immoral--not everything is one or the other.

What a silly comment. Of course everything is one or the other. There is no, slightly moral option. That's like being slightly pregnant when you get a slight abortion.

So please clarify- what WERE you saying?

No, he didn't. I am not a biological function to him. I'm a living, breathing person. There's a huge difference.

you asked how a biological function could be moral or immoral. Pissing is a biologic function.
Now, the answer lies in you- is pissing moral or immoral? it has to be one or the other. I vote for moral. Just cuz, if not, I'm going to hell.

What a silly comment. Of course everything is one or the other. There is no, slightly moral option. That's like being slightly pregnant when you get a slight abortion.

So please clarify- what WERE you saying?
Try reading my comment again. There is no slightly implied. Not everything is moral or immoral.

you asked how a biological function could be moral or immoral. Pissing is a biologic function.
Now, the answer lies in you- is pissing moral or immoral? it has to be one or the other. I vote for moral. Just cuz, if not, I'm going to hell.
lol, pissing is a biological function. Pissing on someone else is not. Pissing is neither moral nor immoral.

It's immoral to get an abortion. It's immoral to get pregnant out of wedlock, too, as far as that goes.

But just because you own the body that harbors a baby doesn't mean the baby is yours to destroy at will, any more than it's your call whether or not to kill the baby you hold in your arms. Both are dependent upon you for their life and safety. That doesn't mean you get to kill them at will.

You know, I've told everyone that I've ever met when asked about my morals that I've none at all.

But then, I tell them that I do have a very strong set of values and ethics.

Morals are nothing more than values and ethics of the majority, impressed upon the individual. I'd rather do my thinking for myself.

Always A Bitch, what is "moral" and "right" in Europe, would not pass here, even though the people over there believe in values, rights, and human life. However......if they were to go topless on an American beach like they do on damn near all European beaches, they'd be arrested, because they are "immoral".

No, Always Babbling, you're an empty headed bitch. Go please purists elsewhere ya damn pedant.

It's immoral to get an abortion. It's immoral to get pregnant out of wedlock, too, as far as that goes.

Says who? You? If that's the case, I think that falls under the heading of an opinion.

Please, don't say God. if you say God, you assume I believe in the God you believe in, which more often than not, is not the case.

So without resorting to religion- who gets to say what is moral and immoral if not ourselves, for ourselves?

Forum List

Back