New Administration

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Our new principal, a good guy I have known for years, is a pretty conservative, pickup driving, straight talking guy. He has made a point of reestablishing the strict discipline that our school had always been known for until 3-4 years ago. Cracking down on the cell phones, ear buds, tardiness and absenteeism is changing the environment for the better. And kids, no matter how much they complain about it, are clearly more comfortable in a setting of order rather than chaos. I expect grades to improve all around.

The question becomes, what sanctions are imposed when conduct becomes unacceptable? What is the ultimate sanction?

Is there any sort of a dress code? A grooming code? Is general disruption of class an actionable offense?

Just wondering.

I went to an all-boys, parochial high school. We had two individuals who held the title of "Prefect of Discipline." When a teacher encountered some problem that he was not able to address adequately with the tools he had, he could send the offender to the Prefect. One of the Prefects was an ex-Marine DI, and the other one was an ex-college football player. Corporal punishment was theoretically an option, but I never heard of it being used. The Prefects were very creative in devising punishments that did the job. Fifteen minutes of detention, starting at 5pm. Write an essay about...

Kids are like water in a container. They will adjust to fit the shape of whatever container they are placed in. If they are in an environment of chaos and disorder they will behave accordingly. Many out of a sense of insecurity. If they are in an environment of order and predictability, they will act accordingly. It is easier and more relaxing to know what to expect. Much easier to concentrate and learn as well.

Our new principal, a good guy I have known for years, is a pretty conservative, pickup driving, straight talking guy. He has made a point of reestablishing the strict discipline that our school had always been known for until 3-4 years ago. Cracking down on the cell phones, ear buds, tardiness and absenteeism is changing the environment for the better.
Just being sensible, not political. Public school should provide a decent education in a secure environment, not day care for second class kids and parents with issues. Got a letter today from a great local woman and former principle urging us to vote for the more "liberal" or "Democrat" reform slate dedicated to much the same.. since a long string of Republican school boards has succeeded only in wasting tons of money and dragging our top notch district into the gutter.

The question becomes, what sanctions are imposed when conduct becomes unacceptable? What is the ultimate sanction?

If a student is a constant (or extreme) problem, he or she is suspended, just like in the old days. If someone gets suspended all the damn time, there is another school in the district for just such cases. I used to teach there. It was interesting. If a student gets kicked out of that school it is usually because they are "graduating" to prison.

Is there any sort of a dress code? ....

There is. No uniform, but regulations on what is acceptable. For the past several years that was starting to slide too, with predictable consequences. Now the kids still dress like teenagers, but not teenage hookers or gang runners. If a kid comes to school dressed in an unacceptable manner, a family member is called to come to the school with a change of clothes or the kid is sent home with an unexcused absence for the day.

We had a dress code in my high school. My favorite piece of clothing was a tank top depicting an American flag, but tank tops were against the rules in 1971 at my school.

Nothing ever happened to me.

It all goes to show that if you are going to break a dress code, you need to look damn fine while doing so.

Just being sensible, not political. Public school should provide a decent education in a secure environment, not day care for second class kids and parents with issues. Got a letter today from a great local woman and former principle urging us to vote for the more "liberal" or "Democrat" reform slate dedicated to much the same.. since a long string of Republican school boards has succeeded only in wasting tons of money and dragging our top notch district into the gutter.

Poor discipline sends schools right into the gutter.

Liberals are the top fans of what turns out to be poor discipline. "Restorative justice", "Social Emotional Learning", even "Trauma-Informed Learning". These things turn into chaos. It turns out an orderly, safe, secure environment IS loving. It IS nurturing.

Do not begin to blame Republicans for any of the above.

Our new principal, a good guy I have known for years, is a pretty conservative, pickup driving, straight talking guy. He has made a point of reestablishing the strict discipline that our school had always been known for until 3-4 years ago. Cracking down on the cell phones, ear buds, tardiness and absenteeism is changing the environment for the better. And kids, no matter how much they complain about it, are clearly more comfortable in a setting of order rather than chaos. I expect grades to improve all around.

Poor discipline sends schools right into the gutter.

Liberals are the top fans of what turns out to be poor discipline. "Restorative justice", "Social Emotional Learning", even "Trauma-Informed Learning". These things turn into chaos. It turns out an orderly, safe, secure environment IS loving. It IS nurturing.

Do not begin to blame Republicans for any of the above.

Forum List

Back