Netflix users?

Netflix is not compatible with Linux...sooo...nope.
For whatever reason netflix is the only streaming video site on the web whose licence only works if the user is using Internet Explorer running Media Player.

I use Chrome, and Netflix works fine.

Your right...it use to only be IE...but it still doesn't work with Linux.
Reason being they rely on Silverlight for the DRM

I have one laptop that came from malaysia..but it has a bootleg copy of windows on it ...250$ for a "dell" with windows..its a great boot leg its like half windows 7 and half xp..but it cant download silverlight or updates from microsoft

We are using their one month free trial right now, thinking about joining. So you think it's the best deal out there? Good movies and such?

I think they have a great selection, myself. Lots of foreign flicks, too. I like them because they give us Starz...which has the Spartacus series. They don't have HBO though. But..at least I can watch Spartacus. And many other movies. I like the selection, personally. I have watched more movies than any other time in my life..and some I wouldn't even know about without netflix. And they are cheaper than my cable service.

Grace, you might be able to catch HBO shows on internet sites like sidereel or hulu. I know you can watch Showtime shows there. That's how we've watched some of Dexter.

We had a free 1 month trial of Blockbuster (as the stores were going out of business). After an initial mixup that worked pretty well. I flew through the first four seasons of Rescue Me using it.

We have a free trail for one month of Netflix. I think we'll give it a try and see how we like it although I'm not sure we'll sign up. I hate that movie rental stores are a thing of the past. I enjoyed the 'spur of the moment' freedom it gave you and just browsing around the store. I guess the Redbox type things are as close as I'll get to a rental store, eh?

We have Xfinity (Comcast) though and we get On Demand but renting a new release movie from there is $5. Redbox and the like seem like a better option for occasional rentals.

Actually, we've been having problems with On Demand for the past few months. Basically it was a crap shoot as to whether it would work or not. The service guy just left. I don't know why people complain about Comcast. He was on time, did the work, was uber helpful and super nice . . . ok, so he was cutie pie too. :D He replaced bad splitters we had put in -- um, that the hubs had put in :rolleyes: -- and spent 45 minutes outside replaced old ground box and wiring, etc. Fingers crosssed that O.D. works on demand.

Only reason I wanted HBO is to watch Game Of Thrones. From my understanding, HBO refuses netflix to air their stuff unless Netflix charges their customers 15 bucks a month for the privilege. Netflix has to BUY the rights to these companies to show their movies. Which is why the hike in their rates. Netflix refused HBO, so that leaves us netflixers out.
But I get Starz...and everything else. Cheaper than my cable company, which charges 4.99 for new movies.

Any here planning to dump them due to the increase? I was..but then I thought about it. Unlimited streaming movies from an extremely large selection and 1 dvd out at a time for 16 bucks a month is way cheaper than Charter Cable and their very small selections of free movies. I'm keeping Netflix. What about you?

Grace right now their Streaming is pretty limited......all their top movies are DVD's.....you can stream lots of older ones and B Movies which are already on HBO and Showtime.....i have Part One of the Harry Potter Movie.....i could not Stream it.....until they do that i cant see why they raised the price......nothing has changed....

I hate B movies and am not a Potter fan (ack. Don't shoot me!). I have been having a field day in the foreign selections and have found some really great ones. Plus, i don't get showtime or hbo. Damn cable company wants an extra 30 bucks a month for those.

Any here planning to dump them due to the increase? I was..but then I thought about it. Unlimited streaming movies from an extremely large selection and 1 dvd out at a time for 16 bucks a month is way cheaper than Charter Cable and their very small selections of free movies. I'm keeping Netflix. What about you?

I agree with you but there is one thing....what you just described costs 7.95 right now...7.95!!!!!

Come on, 7.95 to 16 dollars? Really? Dammit. I will keep them but will stream only. I hope they get more variety on the streaming side, but there are some PISSED off people on their (netflicks) facebook and I dont blame them.

Dammit, I loved netflix.

I hate B movies and am not a Potter fan (ack. Don't shoot me!). I have been having a field day in the foreign selections and have found some really great ones. Plus, i don't get showtime or hbo. Damn cable company wants an extra 30 bucks a month for those.

I don't like new releases. Prefer those in the 90's and less. Netflix is perfect for "me." As I mentioned previously, if I want something Net doesn't have, I just go to Amazon and pay to stream it.

I know, Zona. That's a pretty good jump, but I get my monies worth from the amount of time I spend there. And for me, it's cheaper than going straight cable company.

For the record..I use google chrome too.

I agree with you but there is one thing....what you just described costs 7.95 right now...7.95!!!!!

Come on, 7.95 to 16 dollars? Really? Dammit. I will keep them but will stream only. I hope they get more variety on the streaming side, but there are some PISSED off people on their (netflicks) facebook and I dont blame them.

Dammit, I loved netflix.

i hear you Zona.....if they dont start Streaming the good stuff i will probably Stream away.....

We are using their one month free trial right now, thinking about joining. So you think it's the best deal out there? Good movies and such?

It USED to rule. The turn around on dvd's in the mail is amazing really. You would get notification of them receiving the dvd the same day if you mailed it in the morning.

The streaming is cool because they allow you to stream from so many devices..xbox, ps3 (I believe) etc and of course from your computer. I have my laptop hooked up to my tv, and to this day, I have never had a problem.

Now of course is the problem with the costs. They killed blockbuster in every way, but dammit, they got greedy?..?

I am streaming only Starting Sept.1. Screw paying double for what I am getting right now.

THIS SUCKS. (but I wont cancel them.)

I was just testing showing my instant plays....but it was too long, lol

Last edited:

I don't stream movies often enough to keep that one so I just opted for the DVDs, one at a time. They also have an option for only two DVDs per month for $4.99.

I think they have a great selection, myself. Lots of foreign flicks, too. I like them because they give us Starz...which has the Spartacus series. They don't have HBO though. But..at least I can watch Spartacus. And many other movies. I like the selection, personally. I have watched more movies than any other time in my life..and some I wouldn't even know about without netflix. And they are cheaper than my cable service.

Grace, you might be able to catch HBO shows on internet sites like sidereel or hulu. I know you can watch Showtime shows there. That's how we've watched some of Dexter.

We had a free 1 month trial of Blockbuster (as the stores were going out of business). After an initial mixup that worked pretty well. I flew through the first four seasons of Rescue Me using it.

We have a free trail for one month of Netflix. I think we'll give it a try and see how we like it although I'm not sure we'll sign up. I hate that movie rental stores are a thing of the past. I enjoyed the 'spur of the moment' freedom it gave you and just browsing around the store. I guess the Redbox type things are as close as I'll get to a rental store, eh?

We have Xfinity (Comcast) though and we get On Demand but renting a new release movie from there is $5. Redbox and the like seem like a better option for occasional rentals.

Actually, we've been having problems with On Demand for the past few months. Basically it was a crap shoot as to whether it would work or not. The service guy just left. I don't know why people complain about Comcast. He was on time, did the work, was uber helpful and super nice . . . ok, so he was cutie pie too. :D He replaced bad splitters we had put in -- um, that the hubs had put in :rolleyes: -- and spent 45 minutes outside replaced old ground box and wiring, etc. Fingers crosssed that O.D. works on demand.

Only reason I wanted HBO is to watch Game Of Thrones. From my understanding, HBO refuses netflix to air their stuff unless Netflix charges their customers 15 bucks a month for the privilege. Netflix has to BUY the rights to these companies to show their movies. Which is why the hike in their rates. Netflix refused HBO, so that leaves us netflixers out.
But I get Starz...and everything else. Cheaper than my cable company, which charges 4.99 for new movies.

You can watch Game of Thrones here for free. Click on "Search Links" at this link:

Game of Thrones | Watch Game of Thrones online | TV Show | SideReel

Megavideo is pretty good but you can only watch 72 minutes before it cuts you off for like 4 hours unless you signed up for their service. To get around that just reset your modem/router and go back to the links page for the next episode.

Oh, when you click on "search links" and it gives you the list of links, click where it says 'direct link'. Works better. Sometimes it's a hit or miss thing and you have to try several links before getting a good one. Also you can search the web for 'watch Game of Thrones'.

You can also sign up at sidereel and track your show. Check the site out, it's pretty good.

Last edited:
Netflix is not compatible with Linux...sooo...nope.
For whatever reason netflix is the only streaming video site on the web whose licence only works if the user is using Internet Explorer running Media Player.

I use Chrome, and Netflix works fine.

Your right...it use to only be IE...but it still doesn't work with Linux.
Reason being they rely on Silverlight for the DRM
Never used Linux. But IE is definitely a slow piece of crap. My school's Outlook web app is slow as molasses on IE, and some of the functions won't work...I can't even delete emails. But on Chrome everything works fast and as designed.

Netflix is definitely a good service.
Although I do dislike how their online streaming is only for 10-25% of their entire library.

I'm too impatient to wait for 2 days for the movie to come.

Forum List

Back