Disney, Charter rates dispute spills over to TVs as ESPN, ABC go dark

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
What amazes me about this story is that some people still use cable?? Streaming is both cheaper and it allows you to tailor your selections to your tastes.

Disney (DIS.N) and Charter Communications (CHTR.O) traded salvos over their unresolved distribution agreement after channels like ESPN went dark on Thursday for customers of Charter's Spectrum cable service.
Disney pulled ESPN, ABC and other cable channels off Spectrum, which serves giant markets like New York and Los Angeles, in the middle of U.S. Open tennis coverage.
Charter flashed a message on screen that urged viewers to contact Disney.
"We offered Disney a fair deal, yet they are demanding an excessive increase," it read. "The rising cost of programming is the single greatest factor in higher cable TV prices and we are fighting to hold the line on programming rates imposed on us by companies like Disney."
Cable companies have struggled as many customers have canceled subscriptions in favor of streaming services. Charter, in a Friday presentation, said programmers' multichannel video packages are too expensive and are not meeting customer needs.
Disney had on Thursday said, "the rates and terms we are seeking in this renewal are driven by the marketplace."

Charter serves more than 32 million customers in 41 states through its Spectrum brand, according to its website. It said on Friday that Disney has "not seriously engaged" on its partnership proposal.

Charter/Spectrum sux.

Disney sux.

Cable sux.

Streaming sux.

No good guys here.

What amazes me about this story is that some people still use cable?? Streaming is both cheaper and it allows you to tailor your selections to your tastes.

Disney (DIS.N) and Charter Communications (CHTR.O) traded salvos over their unresolved distribution agreement after channels like ESPN went dark on Thursday for customers of Charter's Spectrum cable service.
Disney pulled ESPN, ABC and other cable channels off Spectrum, which serves giant markets like New York and Los Angeles, in the middle of U.S. Open tennis coverage.
"We offered Disney a fair deal, yet they are demanding an excessive increase," it read. "The rising cost of programming is the single greatest factor in higher cable TV prices and we are fighting to hold the line on programming rates imposed on us by companies like Disney."
Cable companies have struggled as many customers have canceled subscriptions in favor of streaming services. Charter, in a Friday presentation, said programmers' multichannel video packages are too expensive and are not meeting customer needs.
Disney had on Thursday said, "the rates and terms we are seeking in this renewal are driven by the marketplace."

Charter serves more than 32 million customers in 41 states through its Spectrum brand, according to its website. It said on Friday that Disney has "not seriously engaged" on its partnership proposal.
What it is ...is that people are not that advanced with the technologies. Including me. Stop the bundle cable packages we are forced to purchase even with basic cable. As for ESPN they need to go out of business. That in itself will reduce the prices to subscribers wanting to watch sports and even start reducing prices to park and go to sporting events.

I do a lot of streaming, (Roku/Fire stick).

Several free channels, if you don't mind ads.

Haven't watch cable for weeks,

Welcome to the world of Direct subscribers. We have lost The CW, Fox, and one of the local NBC affiliates in the last few months that I know of due to their fees feud with Nexstar.

I noticed this last night when I tried to watch a program on NatGeo. I’ve been through this before with cable providers. They’ll get it resolved in the next week (before NFL starts) because they have to. One lost week of ESPN College Football viewership will bring both sides to their senses.

I do a lot of streaming, (Roku/Fire stick).

Several free channels, if you don't mind ads.

Haven't watch cable for weeks,
I hate the ads.....There's only so much I can take of a 12% (maybe) ethnicity being represented in over 87% of commercials.

I swear, I saw a Camping World commercial with a bunch of blacks in it. Well fuck me runnin' but they must be the only black family in the US that does so. ;)

Cut the cord 7 years ago now. Have never regretted it. This only makes me feel better about it.

I hate the ads.....There's only so much I can take of a 12% (maybe) ethnicity being represented in over 87% of commercials.

I swear, I saw a Camping World commercial with a bunch of blacks in it. Well fuck me runnin' but they must be the only black family in the US that does so. ;)
Politicians are dominating streaming ads. 2 years ago, it wa the local dem senator, (she won), currently Desantis, Haley, and Christie dominate.

I hit the mute button, and wait for the show to continue.

Welcome to the world of Direct subscribers. We have lost The CW, Fox, and one of the local NBC affiliates in the last few months that I know of due to their fees feud with Nexstar.
If you can, install an antenna. I get multiple networks with it. And the picture quality is better

If you can, install an antenna. I get multiple networks with it. And the picture quality is better

Those don't work especially well in my area due to terrain, the distance, and a lot of radio interference. I tried it once with a power digital antennae and got nada. Even before they went to digital broadcast, antennas were dodgy reception. The City generally won't let you get them up high enough to overcome some of the problems. Direct is still far cheaper than comcast though to the tune of about 60 bucks a month by the time you add in all the xfinity overpriced equipment rentals.

For me personally, it makes no difference about the channels as I seldom watch TV. The kiddies are a bit pissed about it because they like the CW, but they will just walk uphill both ways in the snow by watching it online. Once they are all gone, I will probably just drop it completely and do a couple streaming packages.

Things are looking up for America after all. Fist we have Hollywood on strike and now this. Democrat's propaganda arms are taking a hit. Hope it stays that way.

LOL...groomers fighting groomers.

Those don't work especially well in my area due to terrain, the distance, and a lot of radio interference. I tried it once with a power digital antennae and got nada. Even before they went to digital broadcast, antennas were dodgy reception. The City generally won't let you get them up high enough to overcome some of the problems. Direct is still far cheaper than comcast though to the tune of about 60 bucks a month by the time you add in all the xfinity overpriced equipment rentals.

For me personally, it makes no difference about the channels as I seldom watch TV. The kiddies are a bit pissed about it because they like the CW, but they will just walk uphill both ways in the snow by watching it online. Once they are all gone, I will probably just drop it completely and do a couple streaming packages.
Analog TV would gradually turn to snow. Digital TV you either receive the channel or you do not.

Yep. When we bought our new house a couple of years ago I canned Direct TV and we only do streaming now.

Analog TV would gradually turn to snow. Digital TV you either receive the channel or you do not.

With digital around here a lot of people's have the picture freeze up on them. My barber used to have it and it was so annoying I would rather she had just switched the thing off.

Forum List

Back