Net domestic migration: Texas and Florida top gainers; California and NY top losers

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Euroconservativ, Jan 5, 2013.

  1. Euroconservativ
    Offline

    Euroconservativ Member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2011
    Messages:
    385
    Thanks Received:
    32
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Ratings:
    +32
    The 2011 state population estimates released earlier today by the Census Bureau show that the South has retained its dominant position in both population and growth over the last year. Southern states accounted for more than one half of the nation's population growth between 2011 and 2000, despite having little more than one third of the population. Moreover, the South was the recipient of 95% of the inter-regional net domestic migration (people moving from one state to another), with the West accounting for the other 5%, with the losses split between the Northeast and the Midwest.

    Overall, a net 533,000 people moved from one state to another, somewhat above the low of 503,000 in 2008 and below the 573,000 at the beginning of the previous decade (2001). The figure, however, remained less than one-half that of the mid 2000s peak.

    The state data confirmed the "return to normalcy," that had been indicated by the 2010 American Community Survey data.

    New Census Data Reaffirms Dominance of the South | Newgeography.com

    top10 net gainers 2011:
    Texas
    Florida
    North Carolina
    Washington
    Colorado
    South Carolina
    Tennessee
    Georgia
    Virginia
    Oregon

    top10 net gainers 2010:
    Texas
    North Carolina
    Florida
    Arizona
    Colorado
    South Carolina
    Virginia
    Pennsylvania
    Washington
    Kentucky

    top10 net losers 2011:
    New York
    Illinois
    California
    Michigan
    New Jersey
    Ohio
    Connecticut
    Missouri
    Indiana
    Nevada

    top10 net losers 2001-2009:
    New York
    California
    Illinois
    Michigan
    New Jersey
    Ohio
    Louisiana
    Massachusetts
    Maryland
    Connecticut
     

Share This Page