Neil Armstrong: Obama killing off U.S. space program..

Philobeado

Gold Member
Apr 8, 2009
Gulf of Mexico Coast, Texas
America's leadership in space is slipping. NASA's human spaceflight program is in substantial disarray with no clear-cut mission in the offing. We will have no rockets to carry humans to low-Earth orbit and beyond for an indeterminate number of years. Congress has mandated the development of rocket launchers and spacecraft to explore the near-solar system beyond Earth orbit. But NASA has not yet announced a convincing strategy for their use. After a half-century of remarkable progress, a coherent plan for maintaining America's leadership in space exploration is no longer apparent.

"We have a long way to go in this space race. But this is the new ocean, and I believe that the United States must sail on it and be in a position second to none."

— President Kennedy

Kennedy launched America on that new ocean. For 50 years we explored the waters to become the leader in space exploration. Today, under the announced objectives, the voyage is over. John F. Kennedy would have been sorely disappointed.

Column: Is Obama grounding JFK's space legacy? - USATODAY.com

The traitor obama has destroyed NASA.We cant even put a man in space in 2012.He wants to turn NASA into to a islamic outreach program.What a evil twisted pig obama is.Kennedy wanted to reach the Moon.Obama wants to pay the Russians to get us to earth orbit.

Where has Neil Armstrong been for the last 40 years in defending the space program?

Garbo Speaks

The Technological Advanced alone that have come from Space Exploration and heavy lift capability. Make spending Federal Dollars on it worth it to me.

It is a crying shame that we are retiring the Shuttles and have no plans to replace them.

If the Constellation program has near unnanomous support in Congress, the House should be able to include funding in the budget despite the Administration unwillingness to do so.

Perhap we need to take care of more down to earth matters

Perhaps if we were not busy being the worlds policeman, we could afford to play Starship Troopers for a while.

We've been to space... now what?

So I'll ask again... we've been to space, now what? What's the point of further maned space flight beyond earth? There is nothing we could possibly inhabit as earth that's within millions of light years away, so what is the point of space exploration. We'd have to fold space or find out how to time travel to even get to another planet, and that kind of knowledge could be a thousand years off, if ever. We're pretty much relegated to poking around in our own little space around this planet, and we've already accomplished that. So why blow billions and billions of dollars on shit that isn't even possible when we have such massive debt problems?

Last edited:
It is a crying shame that we are retiring the Shuttles and have no plans to replace them.
~ahem~

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/19/science/space/19nasa.html

April 18, 2011
NASA Awards $269 Million for Private Projects
By KENNETH CHANG

The National Aeronautics and Space Administration announced Monday that it was distributing $269 million to four companies to develop spacecraft to take its astronauts to orbit in the future.

The awards, part of what NASA calls its commercial crew development program, are a bet, pushed by the Obama administration, that commercial companies will be able to get people to and from orbit more quickly and less expensively.

Philip McAlister, acting director of the program, said NASA received 22 proposals and sought additional information on 8 of them before deciding on the winners.

The Space Exploration Technologies Corporation, or SpaceX, of Hawthorne, Calif., which already has a contract to carry cargo to the International Space Station, will receive $75 million toward making its Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon capsule suitable for passengers. SpaceX had two successful launchings of its Falcon 9 last year, the second with an empty Dragon capsule that successfully orbited the planet before parachuting back to Earth.

The Sierra Nevada Corporation of Louisville, Colo., will receive $80 million for its small space plane design, and Boeing will receive $92.3 million for a capsule design. Blue Origin, a quiet, enigmatic company started by Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon.com, will receive $22 million to work on its capsule design.

For each of the companies, the money will finance one year of work beginning in May, and the companies will be paid as they meet milestones outlined in their proposals.

Another winner — even though NASA did not give it any money — may be the United Launch Alliance, a joint venture of Boeing and Lockheed Martin. Except for SpaceX, the other companies need a rocket to fly their spacecraft, and the alliance’s Atlas V rocket is a likely choice.

NASA also passed over a proposal from Alliant Techsystems Inc. to develop a commercial version of the Ares I rocket, which Alliant said would cost much less than an Atlas V.

This second round of commercial crew development awards is NASA’s biggest step so far in breaking away from its past practice of developing and operating its own spacecraft like the space shuttles and before that the behemoth Saturn V rocket.

After the shuttles are retired this year, the United States will have to rely on the Russians, at a cost of more than $50 million a seat, for taking NASA astronauts to orbit.

Mr. McAlister said NASA was aiming for commercial providers to begin flying astronauts to the International Space Station in the “middle part of the decade,” although that depended on future financing from NASA and the companies meeting their technical goals.

America's leadership in space is slipping. NASA's human spaceflight program is in substantial disarray with no clear-cut mission in the offing. We will have no rockets to carry humans to low-Earth orbit and beyond for an indeterminate number of years. Congress has mandated the development of rocket launchers and spacecraft to explore the near-solar system beyond Earth orbit. But NASA has not yet announced a convincing strategy for their use. After a half-century of remarkable progress, a coherent plan for maintaining America's leadership in space exploration is no longer apparent.

"We have a long way to go in this space race. But this is the new ocean, and I believe that the United States must sail on it and be in a position second to none."

— President Kennedy

Kennedy launched America on that new ocean. For 50 years we explored the waters to become the leader in space exploration. Today, under the announced objectives, the voyage is over. John F. Kennedy would have been sorely disappointed.

I guess Neil Armstrong hasn't heard that we are broke. We can no longer afford to be "leaders in space"?

— President Kennedy

I guess Neil Armstrong hasn't heard that we are broke. We can no longer afford to be "leaders in space"?

Obama and the houses have increased NASA spending in all 3 of his budgets, and the next 4 years worth of estimates show annual increases forthcoming.

So I wish we were cutting spending that we can't afford, but of course that's not going to happen.

— President Kennedy

Obama and the houses have increased NASA spending in all 3 of his budgets, and the next 4 years worth of estimates show annual increases forthcoming.

So I wish we were cutting spending that we can't afford, but of course that's not going to happen.

Might just as well cut it to Zero sinse obama does not want a American owned
Rocket ship.

Might just as well cut it to Zero sinse obama does not want a American owned
Rocket ship.
^^^ This, the OP, and Armstrong Debunked Already.

it helps to read the thread, especially the short ones! :lmao:

Forum List

Back