Need help with an email....

UsaPride

Mar 13, 2004
NC
I don't know where to put this, sorry!
I keep getting an email from the 'Mail Delivery Subsystem' saying I have returned mail. Well, the return mail list is very long. I don't know any of these people and I sure never emailed them. I have recieved this a few times. Does this mean someones using my account to send emails? Okay, I really don't know what it means, but it seems strange I've recieved returned mail that no one here has sent.
Any ideas? Suggestions?
Thanks!!

Originally posted by Hannitized
I don't know where to put this, sorry!
I keep getting an email from the 'Mail Delivery Subsystem' saying I have returned mail. Well, the return mail list is very long. I don't know any of these people and I sure never emailed them. I have recieved this a few times. Does this mean someones using my account to send emails? Okay, I really don't know what it means, but it seems strange I've recieved returned mail that no one here has sent.
Any ideas? Suggestions?
Thanks!!

Copy and paste the error message here so we can see it. It usually reads "maeler - dameon" (sp) host unknown or such and such and address unknown etc. in there will be the clue as to what is going on.

Hey I get those all the time too. My IT guy at school told me just to delete them, but it makes me nervous. Let's hear more.

most likely someone is using a spam program and uses your email address as a return on failure to deliver. I have seen this alot when I was an Exchange administrator.

but I also get them when I fat finger an address or there are errors in an address when I reply where there were multiple recipients to begin with.

I get these from time to time and they almost always have a virus associated with them. So far my virus protection snags them and quarantines them.

Hannitized:

Originally posted by HGROKIT
Copy and paste the error message here so we can see it. It usually reads "maeler - dameon" (sp) host unknown or such and such and address unknown etc. in there will be the clue as to what is going on.

Thank you all so much!! Here's the one I recieved today.

The original message was received at Mon, 14 Jun 2004 08:09:56 -0500
from 170-215-115-152.bras01.eko.nv.frontiernet.net [170.215.115.152]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<[email protected]>
(reason: 550 <[email protected]>: Recipient address rejected: No such user ([email protected]))
<[email protected]>
(reason: 550 <[email protected]>: Recipient address rejected: No such user ([email protected]))
<[email protected]>

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to biloxischools.net.:
>>> DATA
<<< 550 <[email protected]>: Recipient address rejected: No such user ([email protected])
550 5.1.1 <[email protected]>... User unknown
<<< 550 <[email protected]>: Recipient address rejected: No such user ([email protected])
<<< 421 Error: too many errors
<[email protected]>... Deferred: 421 Error: too many errors

Should I be worried?

All where it says "Deferred: 421 Error: too many errors", on my eamil there's a different email address in front of each one, they didn't show up when I copy and pasted the letter. There's 31 diffrent email addresses in front of "deferred:...".

someone is spamming the school using your email address as the return. not much you can do about spammers with anonymous emailers.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
someone is spamming the school using your email address as the return. not much you can do about spammers with anonymous emailers.

So the IT guy is right about just deleting? I get very nervous about my credit cards....

Originally posted by Kathianne
So the IT guy is right about just deleting? I get very nervous about my credit cards....

in most instances, yes. I see these all the time. This is a good example of someone using an anonymous emailer to spam the school, using hannitized email address as the return address in the program.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
Well that sucks! If they're using my email address, can they also read my email? Do I need to contact Road Runner and somehow change my account? I feel very uncomfortable about this. I'm not surprised that people do this, but dang this sucks!

Well that sucks! If they're using my email address, can they also read my email? Do I need to contact Road Runner and somehow change my account? I feel very uncomfortable about this. I'm not surprised that people do this, but dang this sucks!

not at all. an anonymous emailer works like this.

1) I fill out my list of addresses that I want to spam

2) I put in the IP address or host name of an open smtp server to bounce internet mail through.

3) as an option, I can put in an email address that I want all return mail bounced to that the receiving mail server rejects.

all that takes is for someone to know what your email address is.

additionally, it can randomize names based on yours as a model. exapmle "anyone@biloxischools" or whatever yours was.

It's kinda like I pay extra each month to not have my phone number listed, I still get those annoying computer voice calls. How, there are dialing programs that take an area code and prefix (253-815-XXXX) wherein the software just dials through all the "X"'s .

Ain;t technology great?

Anyway, DK is right and no, your info isn't compromised. It is just a harvester.

So, it's no big deal and just delete them. Right? Thanks DK, I really appreciate it!!

Thanks HG! Whew! LOL! Not that my life is that interesting, it's just weird to know someone else could be reading it. Funny, it doesn't seem to bother me when I put my info out on this website for all the world to see, LOL!

Thanks HG! Whew! LOL! Not that my life is that interesting, it's just weird to know someone else could be reading it. Funny, it doesn't seem to bother me when I put my info out on this website for all the world to see, LOL!

now, take that wierd feeling and see if you can view it with the same perspective as if someone from the pentagon or fbi were reading it. ;)

Forum List

Back