Need Community Input, Please Vote

Discussion in 'Announcements and Feedback' started by Scooter, Mar 28, 2007.

?

Should individuals be allowed multiple accounts at USMB?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

21 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Scooter

Scooter Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Should multiple accounts be against site policy, or do they allow for interesting elements of community feedback, debate and anonymity?

2. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    I am not entirely sure how to vote on this... my son has his own email account, but posts on another messageboard from our computer at home. He would have a different email address but the same IP address if he registered here. My wife is in the same boat.

3. Scooter

Scooter Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes, those are legitimate concerns...

I'll edit the poll to simply say "one account per person" with the understanding that we have an arsenal of tools at our disposal to enforce this, though they are far from perfect.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I vote 'no', with the caveat that with an explanation to admin/mods of situations like MM. That never was an issue for Jim or Gregg, as long as they were made aware of it. The posters made it clear about relationships, but that can be interesting in and of itself. 2 of my 3 kids are way left of me. If they were to sign up, well...

5. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Bad Mother****er

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +503
    IMO, having two active ID's should be strictly against site policy with a permaban if caught. If one has two accounts but isn't using one then the one not being used should be deactivated. I understand that some people might share an IP address at work or something but there's no excuse for having the same e-mail address.

Having multiple ID's allows a person to post without being held accountable for their comments. It also compromises the rep system. It'd be pretty messed up if one person where using multiple ID's in a debate to make it seem like they held a majority opinion.

Why do you ask by chance? Is there someone on the board using two or more ID's at the same time? Please rat them out if it's the case.

6. Scooter

Scooter Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm not aware of anyone currently doing it. The issue was brought up in the Taunting Arena and I realized that before I bothered to investigate whether people were using multiple accounts, I would need make it more explicitly against the rules.

Our current guidelines document only obliquely refers to "multiple accounts" being forbidden.

So, before I tighten up the language and guidelines...I wanted to seek input.

7. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Bad Mother****er

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Oh that dude. Yeah, I agree with 5stringJeff, he's a spammer which puts him in a whole new category.

8. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,783
    I voted no because this board has the rep feature. Allowing multi-regs would just enable abuse of the rep system.

9. Puddles

Puddles Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I don't care either way

10. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,428
    I wouldn't mind per se. But how would one keep someone with multiple names from repping the posts they put up under their other names?