Need Advice on buying a laptop Computer

Book of Jeremiah

Platinum Member
Nov 3, 2012
I have no idea what I am looking for. Can anyone help me? I have a Toshiba Satellite L455 laptop with a 15.6 HD Trulite Screen.. I think I have had this computer for about 4 or 5 years now. It has been a great computer and it still runs great but it is older. I would like to find one with a larger screen. ( I think - not sure about that either ) Is buying a refurbished computer a bad idea? I prefer to buy from a private person and not a store. Thanks for any ideas ya'll have. :eusa_angel:

- Jeri

I've had a refurbished Dell Inspiron for years now, no problems except I recently dropped it and now I have to take it apart to find out why I have no sound.
What do you use your laptop for? That will determine which is best for you.

Refurbished is a great idea. The problem is the weak ass screen size. The best you can find is usually some 17 inch. I would go with a desktop.

As Ringel says...depends on what you use a computer for.
Do you play high-end games?
Do you need to connect to your work...share spreadsheets etc?
Or just email/internet?

Regardless of which brand or model you decide to buy, I'd like to offer this one piece of advice. Don't buy just the "basic" one that supports only a minimal amount of memory. Get the one that supports more RAM than all the others. Order/buy that one and then max it out with as much RAM as it will handle. Otherwise you're going to be disappointed in the lack of speed at which your laptop operates.

I have to dissent. I got a refurbished Asus the computer before this one. Absolutely the worst POS I ever had. Looked great but kept losing its own WiFi, started bricking, and then just shut down altogether with a burned hard drive. Now it's a paperweight. The good part is it lasted such a short time there wasn't that much lost on the HD.

I'd just get the cheapest (but new) one you can find that suits your needs. And I'd steer clear of Asus. My replacement is a Toshiba Satellite C55-A for what it's worth. Not the snazziest, fastest or best sounding, but at least it doesn't brick and it knows how to keep its own WiFi on.

Or just email/internet?

If you just use it for that, plus surround-sound stereo speakers for music, a few folders for pictures, then what would you all recommend? ( 20 inch or larger monitor )

20 inch or larger...so you are talking desktop not laptop.
For just sufing, HDMI outputs etc...This is what I would do - $599
ZaReason Limbo 6220A, AMD linux desktop

BUUUT - this is Linux, not Windows.
At least 5 times faster than Windows.
No virus worries
And more ports than you can shake a stick at.
As a longtime Linux user...it is easier than Windows once setup...faster...and safer.
And has a bazillion free software choices to boot.

I helped a friend pick out a new HP. It has Intel i7, 1080 resolution and touchscreen. Got it at Best Buy.

Forum List

Back