NCAA Football CFP Thread: My Rankings, and Scenarios

It been a stupid ass system since before the BCS and hasnt gotten much better. Next year will change that.
Want to know something insane?

Next year the Big 10 leaves the 2 division format and is just a giant mosh pit. So listen to this. We could get a scenario where..
OSU vs. Michigan in final regular season game
OSU vs. Michigan in big 1@ championship the next week
OSU vs. Michigan in playoffs a few weeks later.

3 times in a month? They need to get rid of the conference championship games, but they didn’t

And there’s a big difference between the 2. We both know the committee hasn’t been consistent over the years.

Yeah but they went too far. 8 teams would be perfect, 12 is too much. This year there are clearly 8 top teams, then a drop off
There are 133 teams in DIV 1 FBS so less than 10% are making the PO's. That's far fewer than any other sport. Will those last 4 teams lose in the first round most years? Probably, but not every year. And everyone loves a Cinderella story. It also make peoples opinions on who's ranked where far less important.

Next year the Big 10 leaves the 2 division format and is just a giant mosh pit. So listen to this. We could get a scenario where..

3 times in a month? They need to get rid of the conference championship games, but they didn’t
I didnt realize they were doing that. I had wondered how they were planning on integrating the new PAC12 teams. They needed to split up OSU and UM so they could meet in the Conference Champ game since the other side was never really in contention to win it, and just putting USC and UCLA over there probably wouldnt change that much. Are OSU and UM going to still play the last game of every season? Seems like a huge disadvantage to both teams.

Michigan has a tough conference schedule next year.

USC, Ore, Washington, and OSU. I guess OU and UW might not be as good, next year both losing their QB.

There are 133 teams in DIV 1 FBS so less than 10% are making the PO's. That's far fewer than any other sport. Will those last 4 teams lose in the first round most years? Probably, but not every year. And everyone loves a Cinderella story. It also make peoples opinions on who's ranked where far less important.
I look at it by tiers. This isn’t a professional league like the NBA, NFL, etc.

Do you agree that there is a clear top 8 this year? IMO Some years it’s 6, some 7, some 5.. ALMOST never 4.

We need to only let in the elite teams, not 2-3 loss LSU.

Michigan has a tough conference schedule next year.

USC, Ore, Washington, and OSU. I guess OU and UW might not be as good, next year both losing their QB.

Are OSU and UM going to still play the last game of every season?
I can’t imagine they’d buck that tradition, but with 12 spots it loses a lot of its importance if both teams are elite. It’s still bragging rights, but in that instance it’s seeding rather than knocking your rival out, killing them.
Seems like a huge disadvantage to both teams.
indeed

I look at it by tiers. This isn’t a professional league like the NBA, NFL, etc.

Do you agree that there is a clear top 8 this year? IMO Some years it’s 6, some 7, some 5.. ALMOST never 4.

We need to only let in the elite teams, not 2-3 loss LSU.
64 teams in the NCAA basketball tourney.
64 in baseball

You don't think there are clear top 10's in those sports?

You're advocating for just the top 8 for the same reason Saban wants to keep it at 4. He figures more often than not his team will be in it, and the fewer games you have to play to win a championship the better your chances are of winning it. I'd be willing to go to 8 teams if the NCAA drastically shrunk the divisions. The FBS should be broken up into 4-5 tiers, then an 8 team playoff makes sense.

64 teams in the NCAA basketball tourney.
64 in baseball

You don't think there are clear top 10's in those sports?
Different sports with different norms. Nobody wants to see Georgia vs. Appalachian St in the first round of a 64 team tournament that would take 2 months to play out

Different sports with different norms. Nobody wants to see Georgia vs. Appalachian St in the first round of a 64 team tournament that would take 2 months to play out
And Im not advocating for a 64 team tourney. 12 is a far cry from 64.

Not to be petty but it is now 68 teams in the NCAABB TMT. The first four games are play-in games to get the right to play the 4 #1 seeds.

There has been a lot of talk to just let all NCAABB in. What's one more game or so?

I’m just saying that the nature of football will make it drastically different and uncomparable to other sports. As you did.

Correct. you don't need as much time off to heal up in Basketball. In the NCAABB they play again in two days?

They kept UCF, CIN, MEM, Tulane, Utah and others out for decades. Once non-power conference (lol!) got into some bigger bowl games and held their own or actually beat up on AUB or other......I rest my case.

Teams like ND and MI (often in the final 4) got beat up much worse than they claim CIN did when they got their shot. But I think CIN actually scored like 28 pts? Tulane beat USC in their first chance. Most surprising was Big 12 teams coming up flat so often?

A bunch of suits sitting in room trying to claim they know more....is pure BS. They pick which ones that may make the most TV money and who can fill a stadium. Just like NCAABB. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

They kept UCF, CIN, MEM, Tulane, Utah and others out for decades. Once non-power conference (lol!) got into some bigger bowl games and held their own or actually beat up on AUB or other......I rest my case.

Teams like ND and MI (often in the final 4) got beat up much worse than they claim CIN did when they got their shot. But I think CIN actually scored like 28 pts? Tulane beat USC in their first chance. Most surprising was Big 12 teams coming up flat so often?

A bunch of suits sitting in room trying to claim they know more....is pure BS. They pick which ones that may make the most TV money and who can fill a stadium. Just like NCAABB. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Sometimes, but it’s not all fixed. A power 5 conference team can go undefeated or 1 loss and earn to be there.. they aren’t just picked for money

I’m just saying that the nature of football will make it drastically different and uncomparable to other sports. As you did.

Agreed no one wants to see that game. So we can just eliminate it and play a better game. The 12 against the 3 and the 11 against the 4. If the Conference Champ games were eliminated it's a month before CFP bowl games start under the current construct. We can't fit in games in 2 of those weeks? And those games wouldn't be more compelling than the vast majority of the games that are played on weekly basis?

If they played the first round this week, they could have an off week between each round and still finish at the same time as the current PO system. And I'll bet you an amount of money that even those early round games have a bigger draw than 95% of regular season games.

Agreed no one wants to see that game. So we can just eliminate it and play a better game. The 12 against the 3 and the 11 against the 4. If the Conference Champ games were eliminated it's a month before CFP bowl games start under the current construct. We can't fit in games in 2 of those weeks? And those games wouldn't be more compelling than the vast majority of the games that are played on weekly basis?

If they played the first round this week, they could have an off week between each round and still finish at the same time as the current PO system. And I'll bet you an amount of money that even those early round games have a bigger draw than 95% of regular season games.
Forget the have-nots, this years bracket should be:
1 GA
8 Alabama

4 FSU
5 Oregon

3 Washington
6 OSU

2 Michigan
7 Texas

You know it and I know it

Forget the have-nots, this years bracket should be:
1 GA
8 Alabama

4 FSU
5 Oregon

3 Washington
6 OSU

2 Michigan
7 Texas

You know it and I know it

How is that better than a 12 team bracket? You're just losing a week of good football. That initial set of games would likely be the best week of college football to that point.

1701462014511.png

Tell me which week so far this year was a better slate of games than the first round of this bracket. And if the favs all win out you get your bracket, so...... yeah I'll take the 12 team bracket every day and twice on Sunday.

Washington just punched their ticket to the CFP.
Yep, let’s re evaluate:

If GA beats Bama, It’s GA, MI (if they win), WA, TX (if they win)/FSU (if they win)… I have no idea who would be put in at 4

If Bama beats GA, It’s MI, WA, then who the fuck knows… if I had to choose it’d be TX (if they win) then Bama

Forum List

Back