NBC sports writer has problem seeing the American flag and patriotism during sporting events

Obviously a Dimocrat.

NBC Sports Announcer GOES OFF: Calls US Flag and Air Force Flyover “Political” Stunt that Should Be “Kept Out of Sports”

calcaterra-flag-game-flyover by

NBC Sports Announcer GOES OFF: Calls US Flag and Air Force Flyover “Political” Stunt that Should Be “Kept Out of Sports”

Obviously a thinker. Not that it takes a whole lot of thought to state the obvious.

Diga me OP --- what part of playing a baseball game in, say, Kansas City, requires first figuring out what country we're sitting in? Are we so dim we didn't know?

The comment is spot-on. Sports is supposed to be an equalizer --- an escape from all this political shit. Fuck those who would co-opt it. Fuck 'em.

And btw OP --- this isn't fucking St. Myopia's Home for the Aged. Use a normal font like everybody else.

Went right over your head, didn't it Pugo.

The point is, since when is displaying the flag, or a military flyover "political"?

If your side sees it this way, then no wonder there's such a division in this country.

Japan

6903266176_26ecdab138_z.jpg

If he thinks the flag and the Air Force are political, his problems are enormous.
You see that's exactly it. Why would someone immediately see 'politics' when they see the flag?
No doubt there are many people - Americans - who have a visceral negative reaction when they see our flag.

They won't admit it, usually, but they are not fond of it.

They're getting louder, too.

Obviously a thinker. Not that it takes a whole lot of thought to state the obvious.

Diga me OP --- what part of playing a baseball game in, say, Kansas City, requires first figuring out what country we're sitting in? Are we so dim we didn't know?

It is part of the celebration of the competition and pride that extends from your team and country you have the privilege of being in.

Oh yes, the team that fields the Venezuelans and Panamanians and Canadians and Dominicans and Japanese and Australians and Koreans and :eek: Mexicans and Cubans? That team?

Are you actually suggesting that if the United States did not exist as a political entity --- sports wouldn't either? :cuckoo:

No you did as a deflection from your lack of ability to debate.

Hey it's what you just implied. I'm just showing you where you pointed. I'm like your GPS.

The question in post 15 stands. No one can answer it. Can't be done. Because it has no justification. More American Exceptional Fetishism, and that's all it is.

It's not difficult to answer at all. It is a tradition. The national anthem has been played at baseball games since before it was actually officially adopted as the national anthem of the United States.

Baseball is a game of tradition and this is part of that tradition.

Why it developed is another question but most seem to think it became vogue during WW1 and has been there ever since.

From the archives: History of national anthem in sports

If he thinks the flag and the Air Force are political, his problems are enormous.
You see that's exactly it. Why would someone immediately see 'politics' when they see the flag?
No doubt there are many people - Americans - who have a visceral negative reaction when they see our flag.

They are known as 'liberals'.

It is part of the celebration of the competition and pride that extends from your team and country you have the privilege of being in.

Oh yes, the team that fields the Venezuelans and Panamanians and Canadians and Dominicans and Japanese and Australians and Koreans and :eek: Mexicans and Cubans? That team?

Are you actually suggesting that if the United States did not exist as a political entity --- sports wouldn't either? :cuckoo:

Hey it's what you just implied. I'm just showing you where you pointed. I'm like your GPS.

The question in post 15 stands. No one can answer it. Can't be done. Because it has no justification. More American Exceptional Fetishism, and that's all it is.

It's not difficult to answer at all. It is a tradition. The national anthem has been played at baseball games since before it was actually officially adopted as the national anthem of the United States.

Why it developed is another question but most seem to think it became vogue during WW1 and has been there ever since.

I didn't ask "how long has it been there" --- I asked specifically how does it follow?.

Again --- that's the question no one can render an answer to, because none exists.

I dunno about you but whenever I find myself doing something that has no reason, basis or justification, the first thing I think is "Gee Wally, I have to keep on doing this, seeing as how it serves no purpose!".

/sarc

However the WWI timeline does serve as useful background. That's the same era of mob mentality that led to seventy people being arrested/fined/imprisoned in Montana for the heinous crime of expressing an opinion that didn't sync with the mandatory jingoism of the day. Was just posting on that in another thread. So thanks for articulating that connection. It's revealing.

And one more thing, on that "baseball tradition" thingy ----- ironically it was just the day before yesterday that MLB ran its annual whitewash of its racist traditional past with its "Jackie Robinson Day", who is always carefully portrayed as the player who "broke the color barrier" and not "the first black player" because he was not the first black player --- it was tradition that kept blacks out of the game for six decades.

Once again --- a tradition that had no excuse. What a weird thing that they got rid of that tradition anyway huh?

Last edited:

I didn't ask "how long has it been there" --- I asked specifically how does it follow?.

Again --- that's the question no one can render an answer to, because none exists.

I dunno about you but whenever I find myself doing something that has no reason, basis or justification, the first thing I think is "Gee Wally, I have to keep on doing this, seeing as how it serves no purpose!".

/sarc

/thread

No reason?

Wow.

/sarc

/thread

It follows because the sport has always been closely tied to being American, national pastime ring a bell? As such it has American pageantry including flags, banners, song and foods.

What you are really saying is you do not want to be reminded of your country in public. Maybe you should just stay home more.

/sarc

However the WWI timeline does serve as useful background. That's the same era of mob mentality that led to seventy people being arrested/fined/imprisoned in Montana for the heinous crime of expressing an opinion that didn't sync with the mandatory jingoism of the day. Was just posting on that in another thread. So thanks for that connection. It's revealing.

I provided the basis/why. It's a tradition. The article I linked described how the tradition developed. Baseball has lots of them and this is just another one of them.

The ceremonial first pitch, for instance. Has no purpose whatsoever in terms of the game itself but they do it anyhow. Seventh inning stretch is another example- and there are plenty more.

It's part of the program at this point that interferes in no way, shape or form, revs the crowd up a bit, allows everyone to participate for a few moments, and signals the start of the game.

Seeing problems where there are none is also seemingly becoming a tradition......

It follows because the sport has always been closely tied to being American, national pastime ring a bell? As such it has American pageantry including flags, banners, song and foods.

Wrong. As just noted by another poster, it's a product of the mob mentality jingoism of the WWI era. Before that --- it was the same game.

I'll pose the same question you couldn't answer before in another way ---- suppose they had a baseball game and "forgot" to play the national anthem. Would the game count?

This is a yes or no question.

Alternately, you can show me any reference to a national anthem in the Official Baseball Rules. You'll find "starting the game" on page 17. Happy huntin'.

What you are really saying is you do not want to be reminded of your country in public. Maybe you should just stay home more.

What I am really saying is it has as much to do with the game as would singing "Copacabana" or knitting a sock or practicing Quechua language lessons. That is --- nothing.

Wrong. As just noted by another poster, it's a product of the mob mentality jingoism of the WWI era. Before that --- it was the same game.

I'll pose the same question you couldn't answer before in another way ---- suppose they had a baseball game and "forgot" to play the national anthem. Would the game count?

This is a yes or no question.

Alternately, you can show me any reference to a national anthem in the Official Baseball Rules. You'll find "starting the game" on page 17. Happy huntin'.

What I am really saying is it has as much to do with the game as would singing "Copacabana" or knitting a sock or practicing Quechua language lessons. That is --- nothing.

If it's still flying over your head there's a commonality between all these threads and here it is.....

• Let the Google home page be the Google home page. Stop trying to foist religion into it.
  • Let a baseball game be a baseball game. Stop trying to foist jingoism into it.
  • Let students at UCDavis decide how they run their own Senate. Stop trying to foist the flag into it.

Just leave people alone and quit trying to foist your values on other people. That too much to ask?

You know.

The Democrat USA has no flag. The flag is Republican.

Democrats have no need nor respect for the military. Those are republican values.

The flag and the military are partisan political.

You know.

The Democrat USA has no flag. The flag is Republican.

Democrats have no need nor respect for the military. Those are republican values.

The flag and the military are partisan political.

You're saying fetishists are all Republicans? :eusa_think:

Never thought of that. Why do you think that is?

That is a good indication that the country is done and needs to split.

Forum List

Back