NBC seeks dismissal of Zimmerman suit

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
NBC seeks dismissal of Zimmerman suit over 911 tape edits

Lawyers for NBC News in March urged a Florida circuit court to dismiss the defamation suit filed in December 2012 by George Zimmerman, who was acquitted last July of second-degree murder in the Trayvon Martin case. The suit centers on NBC News broadcasts that misportrayed a 911 call placed by Zimmerman on Feb. 26, 2012, as the neighborhood watchman pursued Martin through a Sanford, Fla., subdivision. Edits to the tape made it sound as if Zimmerman had volunteered a comment that Martin is black, when in fact the dispatcher had asked him whether Zimmerman was “white, black or Hispanic?” Another contention in the complaint was that NBC News had knowingly reported the false claim that Zimmerman had uttered a “racial epithet” in the 911 call.

The case was stayed for about a year in deference to Zimmerman’s criminal trial, but motions are now flying back and forth between the parties.

Very comprehensive article. I don't think NBC is going to get out of this one.

You cannot slander someone....even Zimmerman. Editing the tape to make him sound like a racist is open and shut. NBC is fucked.

NBC seeks dismissal of Zimmerman suit over 911 tape edits

Lawyers for NBC News in March urged a Florida circuit court to dismiss the defamation suit filed in December 2012 by George Zimmerman, who was acquitted last July of second-degree murder in the Trayvon Martin case. The suit centers on NBC News broadcasts that misportrayed a 911 call placed by Zimmerman on Feb. 26, 2012, as the neighborhood watchman pursued Martin through a Sanford, Fla., subdivision. Edits to the tape made it sound as if Zimmerman had volunteered a comment that Martin is black, when in fact the dispatcher had asked him whether Zimmerman was “white, black or Hispanic?” Another contention in the complaint was that NBC News had knowingly reported the false claim that Zimmerman had uttered a “racial epithet” in the 911 call.

The case was stayed for about a year in deference to Zimmerman’s criminal trial, but motions are now flying back and forth between the parties.

Very comprehensive article. I don't think NBC is going to get out of this one.

Nor should they.

I hope NBC gets nailed.

In fact, I hope they get nailed so hard that it makes every network think several times before they edit tapes.

I also hope they don't abuse the system and appeal until the end of time!

They will. They have too. They are hoping that GZ dies before a judgment is handed down. They'll delay, and delay, for as long as they can.

They will. They have too. They are hoping that GZ dies before a judgment is handed down. They'll delay, and delay, for as long as they can.

That thought just makes me fume. And of course his only recourse would be to accept a settlement.

Fuckers.

I haven't changed my perceptions of the case - but THAT has NOTHING to do with THIS. They were wrong, they did a lot of damage, and they should pay.

Did you read the article?

That thought just makes me fume. And of course his only recourse would be to accept a settlement.

Fuckers.

I haven't changed my perceptions of the case - but THAT has NOTHING to do with THIS. They were wrong, they did a lot of damage, and they should pay.

No. I'm familiar with the case though, and NBC should be a wholly owned subsidiary of GZ enterprises, by the time the case is over. There should be a criminal case in there as well.

Fuckers.

No. I'm familiar with the case though, and NBC should be a wholly owned subsidiary of GZ enterprises, by the time the case is over. There should be a criminal case in there as well.

In what sense? Not saying there shouldn't, just don't know your basis for saying such.

I wonder if NBC has tried throwing the guilty employee(s) under the bus yet. I should think so - but still they ran it, they never apologized for it, and money is the only thing these assholes understand.

ALSO: I would like to see if this would change case law governing the "news" and how it is presented.

I hope Zimmerman wins this suit. NBC needs to be taught a lesson for their BS soundbite editing stunts.

I wondered why NBC would be interested in defending Zimmerman at this time but the case ain't about Zimmerman, it's about defending their own asses. Imagine the high powered attorneys on call for a gigantic news media network like NBC confronting civil servants in Florida or pitiful Zimmerman local lawyers in a "defamation suit" against NBC. Who ya gonna bet on?

Forum List

Back