Navy receives popular science award for fuel from seawater concept

It's a "fuel from seawater, provided you have a nuclear reactor to produce electricity to power the process" thing.

So it's useful for the Navy in that a nuclear powered aircraft carrier could make its own jet fuel.

However, I don't see much else use for it. On land, the electricity could be used more efficiently in other ways.

It's a "fuel from seawater, provided you have a nuclear reactor to produce electricity to power the process" thing.

So it's useful for the Navy in that a nuclear powered aircraft carrier could make its own jet fuel.

However, I don't see much else use for it. On land, the electricity could be used more efficiently in other ways.

True, but I think the techniques discovered developing such an innovative process should have some application beyond the very limited purpose of producing jet fuel. It seems that with many of our nuclear reactors at or very near the coast, the principles discovered in this process could possibly be useful. I am sure there are many in the scientific community who are contemplating this now. It will be interesting to see if this happens.

Forum List

Back