NATO In Iraq? Might Happen

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    This would cause a big bump for Bush:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...0040624/wl_mideast_afp/nato_iraq_040624195437

BRUSSELS (AFP) - NATO (news - web sites) leaders could agree next week to help train Iraqi security forces in response to a request from the embattled country's interim leader, alliance chief Jaap de Hoop Scheffer said.

He reiterated that the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, due to hold a summit in Istanbul next Monday and Tuesday -- days before the handover of power in Iraq (news - web sites) -- could not "slam the door" in prime minister Iyad Allawi's face.

And he also did not rule out the possibility that NATO forces would be deployed inside the country to train Iraqi forces.

2. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    This may sound out there, but why don't we offer Iraq and possibly Afghanistan membership in NATO? What harm could it do?

I have a nasty feeling that the Iraqi gov't is going to be fighting two kinds of insurgencies: one aimed at the government and its entities and the other aimed at provoking a civil war between the Shia and Sunnis.

Iraq will need all the help it can get for the next few years.

3. NightTrain

NightTrain VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87
    First and foremost, both countries need stable governments. That will take a while. The last thing any of us need are unstable governments in something as crucial as NATO.

Iraq already has the best military in the world backing them, the last thing needed there is France or another irrelevant nation meddling there. Britain is also there, and they're no small shakes either.

IMHO.

4. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    forgive me NATO membership just seemed to me an important gesture of long-term support, i.e. we will not abandon you. I think Germany is sorting its problems out quickly, the main problem being their leader Schroder, an opportunist politician if there ever was one. Their more liberal opposition leader (his name escapes me, he was on Time 100's most important people this year) is actually a vocal supporter of liberating Iraq, and has changed quite a few minds in Germany about what America is trying to do.

France will take a while, but this is the French people that have to do that soul-searching. America has serious image problems there, and that can be fixed, either by a much better diplomatic offensive from a re-tooled bush 2nd administration or a kerry one. Inevitably, the French military supports us and supports us well, especially in Djibouti and Afghanistan, despite their disagreements with us on Iraq.

but i disgress.... i apologize

5. NightTrain

NightTrain VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Sorry, I should have welcomed you the first time, NATO. Welcome to USMB.

Not to be a smartass, but I think it's in French Military's best interests that they support us... lol

It's my opinion that it's going to take something catastrophic to shake both France and Germany from their stupor. I think it's amazing that either one haven't been hit yet with a major attack, but that will be a matter of time before that happens. The animals are on the ropes and they're striking where they can. Hamburg is a hotspot.

I hope it doesn't have to come to that before those idiots open their eyes and realize that the world isn't a perfect place and they have to defend their cherished freedom that we gave them.

...perhaps that's why they're so sluggish - they've had other nations protect them for so long, they've forgotten how to fend for themselves...

6. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    This is the German leader I was telling you about... he's the German Foreign Minister (I heard him give an excellent speech on a CNN International special about the build up to the war on Iraq and the aftermath, his speech was essentially a sharp rebuke of what Schroder was saying and an appeal for Germans to realize the time for Iraqis to be free had arrived)

From the Time profile:

Despite his leftist past, Joschka Fischer did not echo Schroder's anti-American rhetoric during the 2002 elections: "He understands the importance of US leadership in the world and wants to channel it in the right directions" "Fischer understands Israel's security dillemas and the importance of a European commitment to Israeli security, unlike most Europeans" (phillip gordon, Brookings Institution)

It should also be noted Germany's Bundestag (Parliament/Congress) would never have authorized German use of force during Kosovo or Afghanistan without Fischer's support of these objectives and his eloquent leadership of the causes of both Bill Clinton and George Bush, as well as Tony Blair.

A shame this guy can't be Germany's leader right now.

7. NightTrain

NightTrain VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I'm wondering if he's posturing.

He certainly can't get any more Left than the current idiot...

Pulling a Kerry and flipping for votes?

8. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    well, according to two German friends of mine (a university student and a historian friend of my father's) he is very pragmatic. he took the green party in the 80's from a fallen power drowning in its own irrevelance to a powerhouse by making its goals realistic and putting emphasis on cooperation and coalition building. he personally put his credibility on the line during Bosnia and helped reorganize German thinking on the use of force, especially to halt ethnic cleansing, genocide and oppression. He strongly supported increases in anti-terrorism cooperation, training and force strength in Germany over the past 15 years. And also, consider this, at a time when many Germans were whipped into an anti-American fervor, he told them they were all wrong and America wasn't the enemy, the problem or even a concern. He also told the French where to stick it over the EU (france wanting to dominate the smaller countries in voting, decision making, resources, etc etc)

he's better than chirac and schroder by yards :)

no blair yet, but maybe one day.

9. NightTrain

NightTrain VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I don't know anything about him, but damn near anyone's better than Schroeder.

I'll have to research this guy and see what he's about... then we'll pick up this conversation again.

Thanks for the heads up, I sure as hell hope Germany is about to pull their collective head out of Chirac's ass.

10. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282