Nations adopt landmark mercury pollution convention

I'm not a rightie

And everyone collapses in laughter.

And flac wonders why he's not taken seriously.

I can out-left you on most social issues.. Always could. I was working for maryjane reform before it was cool. Also used to be only crazy Libertarians who thought that Americas' arsenal shouldn't be deployed like we're a bunch of drive-by gang-bangers. Or that Corporate America REALLY SHOULD STOP sucking Govt TiT like YESTERDAY.

Nope -- not a conservative. Not a Republican.. Not a rightie.. Not since James Carville and Mary Matalin were shagging in cheap motels on the campaigns trail at night and running the Clinton v Bush fake war during the day...

Hope YOU never take me seriously.. That could damage my cred..

Yep, most of us who are talking against the AGW propaganda are in fact liberal Democrats. It's actually pretty funny, in the environmental threads I am accused of being a rightie and in the social threads I am accused of being a radical leftist!:lol::lol:

Yep, most of us who are talking against the AGW propaganda are in fact liberal Democrats. It's actually pretty funny, in the environmental threads I am accused of being a rightie and in the social threads I am accused of being a radical leftist!:lol::lol:

I wouldn't have thought to accuse you of being a radical leftist, but that doesn't quite answer the question. With which party are you actually registered? For whom did you vote in the last two presidential elections if I might ask?

It should probably come as no surprise to anyone here, but I'm a registered democrat and voted twice for Obama, though I supported Hillary Clinton in the 2008 primaries.

I'd be interested in a show of hands as to which anti-AGW posters here consider themselves liberal democrats:

IanC
Daveman
PrometheusBound
SSDD
BriPat9643
Crusader Frank
ToddsterPatriot
Skookerasbil

Any of you fellows big Obama supporters?

Last edited:
I can out-left you on most social issues.

Difference is, when push comes to shove, you'll cave and support the GOP. It's what libertarians do now. The actual libertarians (as opposed to the current Republitarians) were told to get on board with the precious, precious tax cuts that override all other principles, or to get out.

So, I would definitely be the centrist and independent. Since the center-right Democrats are far closer to the middle than the insane-right Republicans and libertarians, of course most of my support goes to Democrats. That just goes with being a centrist nowadays. Since the commies and greens aren't significant, the only choice for a centrist is to go to the right instead and vote Democrat.

I can out-left you on most social issues.

Difference is, when push comes to shove, you'll cave and support the GOP. It's what libertarians do now. The actual libertarians (as opposed to the current Republitarians) were told to get on board with the precious, precious tax cuts that override all other principles, or to get out.

So, I would definitely be the centrist and independent. Since the center-right Democrats are far closer to the middle than the insane-right Republicans and libertarians, of course most of my support goes to Democrats. That just goes with being a centrist nowadays. Since the commies and greens aren't significant, the only choice for a centrist is to go to the right instead and vote Democrat.

I HAVE to support the GOP on some fiscal issues. But other than individual issues --- when I go to the booth, I'll back any QUALIFIED libertarian or independent first.. Then it's a true toss-up on Dem/Rep or no lever gets pulled.. I don't "cave" to the GOP in any useful fashion..

I actually shrugged off yet another Libertarian loss in 2008. I voted for a qualified Libertarian. BUt I actually thought to myself .....

"FlaCalTenn --- I said ----- It's gonna be alright.. Obama will address Gitmo and the Patriotic Act and Corporate Welfare, and civil liberties and he will end our embarrassing gang mentality in bombing 4 different countries a year.. This won't be so bad.. " And then I got drunk and read another CATO report.

Well 5 yrs later.. This whole damn lot of the DaliaBama and Reid and Pelosi can't leave fast enough for me.. That's why I don't OWE either of your parties an apology for spending MY time promoting 3rd party issues.

Last edited:
I HAVE to support the GOP on some fiscal issues. But other than individual issues --- when I go to the booth, I'll back any QUALIFIED libertarian or independent first.. Then it's a true toss-up on Dem/Rep or no lever gets pulled.

Sorry, but that is not the behavior of a "leftist".

How about we save the politics for the politics board and get back on topic?

Is someone here arguing against restrictions on mercury?

95% of all Mercury added to the environment every year comes from natural sources. It's simply not a problem that can be solved with government regulations. Perhaps the AGW nutburgers can have the government prevent continental drift from occuring which causes volcanic vents on the sea floor to spew millions of tons of mercury into the ocean every year.

I disagree

Releases in the environment

Preindustrial deposition rates of mercury from the atmosphere may be about 4 ng /(1 L of ice deposit). Although that can be considered a natural level of exposure, regional or global sources have significant effects. Volcanic eruptions can increase the atmospheric source by 4–6 times.[87]
Natural sources, such as volcanoes, are responsible for approximately half of atmospheric mercury emissions. The human-generated half can be divided into the following estimated percentages:[88][89][90]
65% from stationary combustion, of which coal-fired power plants are the largest aggregate source (40% of U.S. mercury emissions in 1999). This includes power plants fueled with gas where the mercury has not been removed. Emissions from coal combustion are between one and two orders of magnitude higher than emissions from oil combustion, depending on the country.[88]
11% from gold production. The three largest point sources for mercury emissions in the U.S. are the three largest gold mines. Hydrogeochemical release of mercury from gold-mine tailings has been accounted as a significant source of atmospheric mercury in eastern Canada.[91]
6.8% from non-ferrous metal production, typically smelters.
6.4% from cement production.
3.0% from waste disposal, including municipal and hazardous waste, crematoria, and sewage sludge incineration.
3.0% from caustic soda production.
1.4% from pig iron and steel production.
1.1% from mercury production, mainly for batteries.
2.0% from other sources.
The above percentages are estimates of the global human-caused mercury emissions in 2000, excluding biomass burning, an important source in some regions.[88]
Recent atmospheric mercury contamination in outdoor urban air was measured at 0.01–0.02 µg/m3. A 2001 study measured mercury levels in 12 indoor sites chosen to represent a cross-section of building types, locations and ages in the New York area. This study found mercury concentrations significantly elevated over outdoor concentrations, at a range of 0.0065 – 0.523 μg/m3. The average was 0.069 μg/m3.[92]
Mercury also enters into the environment through the improper disposal (e.g., land filling, incineration) of certain products. Products containing mercury include: auto parts, batteries, fluorescent bulbs, medical products, thermometers, and thermostats.[93] Due to health concerns (see below), toxics use reduction efforts are cutting back or eliminating mercury in such products. For example, the amount of mercury sold in thermostats in the United States decreased from 14.5 tons in 2004 to 3.9 tons in 2007.[94] Most thermometers now use pigmented alcohol instead of mercury, and galinstan alloy thermometers are also an option. Mercury thermometers are still occasionally used in the medical field because they are more accurate than alcohol thermometers, though both are commonly being replaced by electronic thermometers and less commonly by galinstan thermometers. Mercury thermometers are still widely used for certain scientific applications because of their greater accuracy and working range.
Historically, one of the largest releases was from the Colex plant, a lithium-isotope separation plant at Oak Ridge, Tennessee. The plant operated in the 1950s and 1960s. Records are incomplete and unclear, but government commissions have estimated that some two million pounds of mercury are unaccounted for.[95]
A serious industrial disaster was the dumping of mercury compounds into Minamata Bay, Japan. It is estimated that over 3,000 people suffered various deformities, severe mercury poisoning symptoms or death from what became known as Minamata disease.[96]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_(element)#Toxicity_and_safety

I HAVE to support the GOP on some fiscal issues. But other than individual issues --- when I go to the booth, I'll back any QUALIFIED libertarian or independent first.. Then it's a true toss-up on Dem/Rep or no lever gets pulled.

Sorry, but that is not the behavior of a "leftist".

How about we save the politics for the politics board and get back on topic?

Is someone here arguing against restrictions on mercury?

Who said anything about being a "leftist"? A Liberal by strict definition maybe. A "leftist" is a party warrior. More interested in obtaining and holding power than anything in principle..

And despite being referred to a thousand times as a "right-winger" in this forum, I've refrained from politics. Don't think a few posts to explain is out of line..

What does MEDICAL SCIENCE say about levels of mercury exposure?
Not interested in the other facts til we know where the regs are NOW relative to those numbers....

Last edited:
just what we the people need

more USELESS nations telling us what our country need and should be doing

I guess the globull warming aka "climate change" SCAM wasn't ENOUGH so now we get THIS SHIT

some of you would sell this country out and YOUR way of living for any FEEL GOOD scam from these political ELETIST with no degrees from schooling IN ANY OF THIS...

Last edited:
95% of all Mercury added to the environment every year comes from natural sources. It's simply not a problem that can be solved with government regulations. Perhaps the AGW nutburgers can have the government prevent continental drift from occuring which causes volcanic vents on the sea floor to spew millions of tons of mercury into the ocean every year.

I disagree

Preindustrial deposition rates of mercury from the atmosphere may be about 4 ng /(1 L of ice deposit). Although that can be considered a natural level of exposure, regional or global sources have significant effects. Volcanic eruptions can increase the atmospheric source by 4–6 times.[87]
Natural sources, such as volcanoes, are responsible for approximately half of atmospheric mercury emissions. The human-generated half can be divided into the following estimated percentages:[88][89][90]
65% from stationary combustion, of which coal-fired power plants are the largest aggregate source (40% of U.S. mercury emissions in 1999). This includes power plants fueled with gas where the mercury has not been removed. Emissions from coal combustion are between one and two orders of magnitude higher than emissions from oil combustion, depending on the country.[88]
11% from gold production. The three largest point sources for mercury emissions in the U.S. are the three largest gold mines. Hydrogeochemical release of mercury from gold-mine tailings has been accounted as a significant source of atmospheric mercury in eastern Canada.[91]
3.0% from waste disposal, including municipal and hazardous waste, crematoria, and sewage sludge incineration.
2.0% from other sources.
The above percentages are estimates of the global human-caused mercury emissions in 2000, excluding biomass burning, an important source in some regions.[88]
Recent atmospheric mercury contamination in outdoor urban air was measured at 0.01–0.02 µg/m3. A 2001 study measured mercury levels in 12 indoor sites chosen to represent a cross-section of building types, locations and ages in the New York area. This study found mercury concentrations significantly elevated over outdoor concentrations, at a range of 0.0065 – 0.523 μg/m3. The average was 0.069 μg/m3.[92]
Mercury also enters into the environment through the improper disposal (e.g., land filling, incineration) of certain products. Products containing mercury include: auto parts, batteries, fluorescent bulbs, medical products, thermometers, and thermostats.[93] Due to health concerns (see below), toxics use reduction efforts are cutting back or eliminating mercury in such products. For example, the amount of mercury sold in thermostats in the United States decreased from 14.5 tons in 2004 to 3.9 tons in 2007.[94] Most thermometers now use pigmented alcohol instead of mercury, and galinstan alloy thermometers are also an option. Mercury thermometers are still occasionally used in the medical field because they are more accurate than alcohol thermometers, though both are commonly being replaced by electronic thermometers and less commonly by galinstan thermometers. Mercury thermometers are still widely used for certain scientific applications because of their greater accuracy and working range.
Historically, one of the largest releases was from the Colex plant, a lithium-isotope separation plant at Oak Ridge, Tennessee. The plant operated in the 1950s and 1960s. Records are incomplete and unclear, but government commissions have estimated that some two million pounds of mercury are unaccounted for.[95]
A serious industrial disaster was the dumping of mercury compounds into Minamata Bay, Japan. It is estimated that over 3,000 people suffered various deformities, severe mercury poisoning symptoms or death from what became known as Minamata disease.[96]

The PERCENTAGES by source are pretty damn irrelevent.. WHY? Because we've LOST most of the industries that put this ever-lasting pollutant in the ground and water. We have only the REMNANTS of a paper industry for instance.. Just a decade ago -- the photo-developing and film industry would have been high in that list. And THAT pollution is still there and contributing just as much as your list of CURRENT sources. But the "half-life" of mercury in the enviro is longer than plutonium..

Also the percentages are irrelevent because like the Arsenic dust-up, natural variation IS A LOCAL issue, not a national average. What matters to health is LOCAL concentrations and the sources of THOSE hotspots.

Should we celebrate the loss of all those industries? Wonder why they left?
The rest of the world are getting their hands dirty so that we can have $4 tee shirts and Happy Meal toys. And fight over the carcass of what remains as a job market..

Last edited:

I guess the globull warming aka "climate change" SCAM wasn't ENOUGH so now we get THIS SHIT

some of you would sell this country out and YOUR way of living for any FEEL GOOD scam from these political ELETIST with no degrees from schooling IN ANY OF THIS...

"Useless nations". Check you monitor and see where it was made. Same for the parts in your automobiles.

Staph, you are the "feel" person here. In fact, it is your willfully ignorant type that runs on emotion, gut feelings, and 'the way things oughta be'.

Global warming and the climate change that it is causing has had reams of credible evidence presented by scientists from around the world. While you people have presented the babbling of fake British Lords and an obese junkie on the radio.

I disagree

2.0% from other sources.

The PERCENTAGES by source are pretty damn irrelevent.. WHY? Because we've LOST most of the industries that put this ever-lasting pollutant in the ground and water. We have only the REMNANTS of a paper industry for instance.. Just a decade ago -- the photo-developing and film industry would have been high in that list. And THAT pollution is still there and contributing just as much as your list of CURRENT sources. But the "half-life" of mercury in the enviro is longer than plutonium..

Also the percentages are irrelevent because like the Arsenic dust-up, natural variation IS A LOCAL issue, not a national average. What matters to health is LOCAL concentrations and the sources of THOSE hotspots.

Should we celebrate the loss of all those industries? Wonder why they left?
The rest of the world are getting their hands dirty so that we can have $4 tee shirts and Happy Meal toys. And fight over the carcass of what remains as a job market..

We get over 25% of the airborne mercury here in Oregon from Asia. Yes, we need a worldwide standard on mercury and other toxic pollutants. With strong punishments for those that violate the protocals ranging from stiff tariffs on their goods, to outright bans on imports from those nations.

I think THIS is where the debate should start.. NOT convening an International Convention to go pounding on energy policy..

Medscape: Medscape Access

Occurrence in the United States
The 2011 Annual Report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers' National Poison Data System documented about 1700 single exposures to mercury or compounds containing mercury. Of these, 155 were in children younger than 6 years and 752 were in persons older than 19 years. Overall, 40 individuals were reported to have moderate effects, 2 had major effects, and none died as a result of mercury exposure.[36]

That's from DIRECT CONTACT, INGESTION, INHALATION.. Huge exposure and doses.. The reason they didn't die is that elemental mercury is not easily absorbed by the body.. It has to break down and recombine in the enviro.. Hence..

Dietary consumption of mercury
The primary source of environmental exposure to mercury in the general population is through the consumption of contaminated fish.[46] Fish consumption has clear health benefits, and the risk posed by mercury exposure is currently speculative. The fetal brain is more susceptible to mercury-induced damage than that of an adult. As a result of this data, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) reduced the allowable intake of methylmercury from 0.5 mcg to 0.1 mcg of mercury per kilogram per day, which is lower than the amount allowable according to other regulatory agencies.[47]

The EPA guideline is derived from reports of subtle and small neuropsychological changes in children in a study in the Faeroe Islands; the children’s exposure was mainly from whale consumption.[48] A similar study in the Seychelles found no adverse effects from fish consumption alone.[49]

So there ya go.. The guidelines are ALREADY lower --- MUCH LOWER than most of the world. And evidence of "subtle effects" at those levels of consumption are NOT widely available. ESPECIALLY not in this country.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has recommended that pregnant women, breastfeeding mothers, and young children avoid eating fish with a high mercury content (>1 ppm), such as shark, swordfish, tilefish, and king mackerel. This also includes fresh and frozen tuna (mercury content between 0.5 ppm and 1.5 ppm). Canned tuna has exhibited variable mercury concentrations, with one study finding that 55% of cans contained mercury levels greater than 1 ppm, with white tuna demonstrating higher levels than light tuna.[50]

From a nonprofessional perspective, this translates into a weekly consumption of 1 can (198g, or 7oz) of tuna for an adult.[51] Rather than ban the sale of these species, Health Canada recommends that they be consumed no more than once per week or once per month by children and by women of childbearing age.[52] Mercury levels in freshwater fish vary, but, in general, bass, pike, muskellunge, and walleye have high levels of mercury and should be eaten in moderation. Provincial guidelines for sport fish often mirror federal seafood recommendations.[53]

So --- based on that --- ARE WE EXCEEDING these guidelines because of coal plant emissions?

Or is it a convienient tool for getting a change in energy policy?

What ARE the current emission levels?

How do they compare to other advanced countries?

Is the emitted mercury from coal largely a danger from INHALATION or bioconcentration in the stuff we eat?

Why are we attending the conference?

Rational folks start from there. Not whether the "right-wingers" are opposed to this..

I KNOW that we NOW import a lot of food from China and from around the world.. Why don't we just
a mandate to TEST AND LABEL all imported edible fish products?

"Useless nations". Check you monitor and see where it was made. Same for the parts in your automobiles.

Staph, you are the "feel" person here. In fact, it is your willfully ignorant type that runs on emotion, gut feelings, and 'the way things oughta be'.

Global warming and the climate change that it is causing has had reams of credible evidence presented by scientists from around the world. While you people have presented the babbling of fake British Lords and an obese junkie on the radio.

'cept we're not talking about CO2 here.. We're discussing REAL POLLUTION in the form of mercury.. OR ....................

Da Da Da DUMMMMMMMMM...

Did you just slip up and reveal the secret motivation here?? Better hide.. The Admin hates leakers..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::eusa_boohoo:

Last edited:

'cept we're not talking about CO2 here.. We're discussing REAL POLLUTION in the form of mercury.. OR ....................

Da Da Da DUMMMMMMMMM...

Did you just slip up and reveal the secret motivation here?? Better hide.. The Admin hates leakers..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::eusa_boohoo:

Stephanie brought up global warming and called it a scam.

I disagree

2.0% from other sources.

I said the environment, not the atmosphere. Most Mercury in the environment comes from deep sea thermal vents. They are the source of about 95% of all environmental Mercury. Most of the Mercury people ingest comes from eating sea food. Mercury in the atmosphere simply isn't a big source of Mercury contamination in humans.

Did you not read the title of the article? "RELEASES IN THE ENVIRONMENT"

Undersea thermal vents are included in "volcanic" activity. The "environment" includes the oceans.

One half of all the mercury released into the air, the land and the seas, comes from human sources.

I just want to point out that it is already unhealthy to eat more than two helpings of FISH a month thanks to MERCUIRY POLLITION.

Pregnant women ought to NEVER eat fish or shellfish caught locally in the fresh or salt waters of Maine.

So yeah, mercury is a serious problem.

I just want to point out that it is already unhealthy to eat more than two helpings of FISH a month thanks to MERCUIRY POLLITION.

Pregnant women ought to NEVER eat fish or shellfish caught locally in the fresh or salt waters of Maine.

From Wikipedia's article on Mercury in Fish (which agrees with you Editec)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_in_fish

Sources

See also: Mercury cycle
Much (an estimated 40%) of the mercury that eventually finds its way into fish originates with coal-burning power plants and chlorine production plants.[12] The largest source of mercury contamination in the United States is coal-fueled power plant emissions.[11] Chlorine chemical plants use mercury to extract chlorine from salt, which in many parts of the world is discharged as mercury compounds in waste water, though this process has been replaced for the most part by the more economically viable membrane cell process, which does not use mercury. Coal contains mercury as a natural contaminant. When it is fired for electricity generation, the mercury is released as smoke into the atmosphere. Most of this mercury pollution can be eliminated if pollution-control devices are installed.[12]

11. ^ Jump up to: a b New York Times, 2009 Aug. 19, "Mercury Found in Every Fish Tested, Scientists Say,"
12. ^ Jump up to: a b Mercury contamination in fish: Know where it's coming from Natural Resources Defense Council. Retrieved 23 January 2010

Note that mercury from coal-fired power plants can be eliminated without shutting down every coal-fired power plant.

Last edited:
Padddy, (BriPat9624)

Do you have some authority or reference to which you could link that informed you 95% of ocean-borne mercury came from thermal vents (black smokers)?

Abraham

From Wikipedia's article on Mercury in Fish (which agrees with you Editec)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_in_fish

Sources

See also: Mercury cycle
Much (an estimated 40%) of the mercury that eventually finds its way into fish originates with coal-burning power plants and chlorine production plants.[12] The largest source of mercury contamination in the United States is coal-fueled power plant emissions.[11] Chlorine chemical plants use mercury to extract chlorine from salt, which in many parts of the world is discharged as mercury compounds in waste water, though this process has been replaced for the most part by the more economically viable membrane cell process, which does not use mercury. Coal contains mercury as a natural contaminant. When it is fired for electricity generation, the mercury is released as smoke into the atmosphere. Most of this mercury pollution can be eliminated if pollution-control devices are installed.[12]

11. ^ Jump up to: a b New York Times, 2009 Aug. 19, "Mercury Found in Every Fish Tested, Scientists Say,"
12. ^ Jump up to: a b Mercury contamination in fish: Know where it's coming from Natural Resources Defense Council. Retrieved 23 January 2010

Note that mercury from coal-fired power plants can be eliminated without shutting down every coal-fired power plant.

Most health guidance is "once per week" EXCEPT for younger women and children.

(See post #32)

If you KNOW the local source -- and the concentrations are lower --- then you can safely consume more.

All fish contain mercury? What a shocker.. When exactly did that happen? Were there mercury free fish in the 1800s?

Forum List

Back