CDZ “National Service” Should we Consider It?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by longknife, Dec 1, 2017.

1. longknife

longknife Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,441
    The question arises in my mind (again) after reading a piece on the Brookings website about the subject. In that case, the author suggests one year, military or other. I personally feel it should be two.

Bubba Clinton, when not busy chasing after skirts, established the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS), an agency overseeing AmeriCorps and other volunteer services. Read about it @ Corporation for National and Community Service It appears to be just another one of those agencies with lofty goals and little else.

But, the idea has always interested me. In order to fully appreciate this country, one needs to see what others have – here and abroad. How many are born and raised in a neighborhood and never see anywhere else but, perhaps, a college campus? How many have been to the gray areas of coal country? Or even the slums of your own hometown? How many have served in soup kitchens. Or community outreach programs. And, better yet, how many have served in uniform?

I don’t know how such a program would work. I do know that it should be for everyone – regardless of sex. Two years of ones choice after taking a sort of IQ test to determine skills and apptitudes.

What do you think?

Anyhow, the article that got me thinking is It’s time to make national service a universal commitment @ It’s time to make national service a universal commitment

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. alang1216

alang1216 Pragmatist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +869
    I'm in. My son did AmeriCorps and it opened his eyes as to what career he wanted to pursue. One or two years after high school seems like a good way to grow up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lysistrata

Lysistrata Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +557
    This was/is a good idea. I almost entered national service because I had relatives in the military. Unfortunately, we had a skunk for a president then, Nixon, so I declined because he would have been my "leader." Now we have a whore in the Oval Office. It would be good for everyone to serve our nation, but we have to make sure that our leaders are decent and honorable first.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. depotoo

depotoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    My fear, in this politically charged atmosphere, would it end up being a form of indoctrination?

5. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,256
    I suspect it appears that way to you because you've not researched what Americorps has accomplished.
    Of course, it's easy to deem that an initiative, one into which others have put their sweat and tears, "appears to be just another one of those agencies with lofty goals and little else" when nothing about it has fallen into one's lap and neither has one made any rigorous effort to find out what an initiative (agency) has accomplished and one is not of a mind to provide even the barest bit of corroboration for one's publicly aired supposition.

6. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,256
    Why doesn't the Peace Corps achieve the objectives you've noted?

There are other ways of gaining exposure of the sort you've described. Study and internships abroad are a fine way. Simply going on vacation outside the U.S. and OECD nations is another. For young people, doing a gap year and traveling is a fine means of getting that kind of exposure. And, yes, serving in the military will do it too.

7. Tipsycatlover

Tipsycatlover Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,326
    Voluntary service organizations exist in a multitude. Involuntary or mandatory service is of course, involuntary servitude and unconstitutional. If someone tried to force me into involuntary servitude I would dedicate myself to making the lives of all around me as miserable as possible.

And, oh yes, the total failure of any project I was assigned to.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  8. jwoodie

jwoodie Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,206
    Amusing oxymoron, but "universal" compulsory service is probably not feasible. Perhaps nonmilitary voluntary service should have its own GI Bill benefits: If you don't serve, don't complain.

9. Tipsycatlover

Tipsycatlover Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,326
    It really is just asking for big trouble in compelling people to a service they object to.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Dekster

Dekster Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,322
    Would be cheaper and easier just to require them to do X hours volunteer work to be eligible for financial aid.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1