NASA's InSight lander on Mars

ever hear of the US DEBT!!!??
...real smart--just like idiots in the US--whine when they go into debt--and they keep spending money on crap
U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time
Thats what we get for letting a tiny percentage of our population hoarde our nation's wealth.
We are overconsuming iron and other metals and perhaps we could mine the meteor belt.
Ridiculous. . Earth's solid inner and liquid outer cores are primarily composed of iron (approximately 85 percent and 80 percent by weight, respectively). This planet will never run low on iron. It is primarily composed of the shit...
If we are going to make moon size spaceships do you think we should use Earth's steel/iron to make them? No way. We would use the meteor belt and we would need to be on Mars because it's much closer to the meteor belt.
If we were ever going to build anything even approaching that size we’d do it in space. Not on any planet...

I know that. Why are you telling me somehthing I already know. But it's a commonly known fact that if were going to mine the meteor belt, we would need to first establish a base on Mars. Once we have that base we could mine the shit out of the meteor belt

But yes you are correct that would be done with the thing already floating in space. Most likely.

I think they keep doing Mars because Mercury, Venus and Jupiter are totally impossible.... Like totally and completely cannot land on them.

Jo
The planet Jupiter may be inaccessible, but its moon Europa and Saturn's moon Enceladus are not. Both appear to have liquid water oceans beneath solid icy surfaces. Liquid water can be broken down to make electricity, rocket fuel and, oh yes, we can drink it.

If you want to send manned missions to the outer planets, follow the water. Preliminary studies are underway now.
Europa to me seems the most promising. We could build giant submarines and live inside Europa where there would be unlimited water and Europa fish for us to eat. Plus Europa algae for the greens we need.

We should be cutting our teeth on establishing a moon base. We're closer to help, and resupply. Communication is much faster. Escape is possible. And we don't have to deal with weather. Develop our tech there first, and work out the bugs; before sending a bunch of sorry bastards to their doom...

We have not seen or even measured the temp and constituency of the core, which is the main science mission of InSight.

It's your hard earned tax dollars going to waste because there is/was no life on Mars.
An ignorant thing to say, given that searching for signs of life is not the main science mission of this vehicle. And then you pile your dishonesty onto your ignorance, as you could not possibly know whether or not life has ever existed on Mars. Thanks for taking a dump in the thread, though.

Haha. How am I being dishonest when I am expressing a scientific observation. I know from past probes and that Mars isn't anything like the planet Earth. Since you know so much, what do we get from this probe and how does it benefit us?

How am I being dishonest when I am expressing a scientific observation.
Because claiming you know that is no life on Mars is a lie, and that is also a most unscientific thing to say. Obviously. Look I already told you that you are not allowed to talk about science anymore. You know less than nothing about any scientific topic, nor do you have a shred of understanding about how science works.

One does not need be a scientist to realize the scientific advances our ventures to space have resulted in bettering ourselves.

~S~

We should be cutting our teeth on establishing a moon base. We're closer to help, and resupply. Communication is much faster. Escape is possible. And we don't have to deal with weather. Develop our tech there first, and work out the bugs; before sending a bunch of sorry bastards to their doom...
In other words baby steps. But let’s get it going.

My 25 year old Belarusian girlfriend says she learned in her homeland we faked the moon landing and the first person on the moon was Yuri gagarian.

I just looked him up. He was first in space but never landed on moon.

Point is Russians believe we faked the moon landing

How am I being dishonest when I am expressing a scientific observation.
Because claiming you know that is no life on Mars is a lie, and that is also a most unscientific thing to say. Obviously. Look I already told you that you are not allowed to talk about science anymore. You know less than nothing about any scientific topic, nor do you have a shred of understanding about how science works.

I thought so. You take my post out of context and come out with an ad hominem attack. This is your MO. You are a silly goose and fake science person. Others in this thread have suggested Europa, one of Jupiter's moons.

For those who have been following NASA's waste of taxpayer dollars on Mars, there has been no life found whatsoever. Link below. I'm for the James Webb Telescope to come online. That's more viable than the hair-brained schemes of going to Mars that people like Fort Fun Indiana "claim" to know about.

There is no magnetic field on Mars, so the solar winds bring radiation upon everything. Solar winds kill. Most of the water there is frozen because the planet is too cold. Also, there are no tectonic plates. If NASA sends astronauts there, they will be going on a one-way mission from which they may not return because they'll have to make their own return fuel there. Maybe they'll have to make their own oxygen. Furthermore, the path return is not the same as going there.

5 Reasons Mars May Have Never Seen Life

...Yuri gagarian.
[sic]
I just looked him up. ....

Had to look it up... wtf?

This from the same scholar who thought LBJ was President during WWII.

Liberal drones love to invoke education, but many are just this stupid.

...Yuri gagarian.
[sic]
I just looked him up. ....

Had to look it up... wtf?

This from the same scholar who thought LBJ was President during WWII.

Liberal drones love to invoke education, but many are just this stupid.
This is something most high school students or high school teachers would remember. I vaguely remembered him but not the details.

I’m not stuck in high school till I retire like you are. I bet you do good at jeopardy or trivial pursuit.

democrats love to chant “Republicans hate education!” because it is one of the approved slogans they have been programmed with, but how hilariously ironic is it that so many of them can’t tell their ass from their elbow? Ignorant hypocrites.

Mars is too small. It is only 10% of the mass of the earth and does not have enough gravity to hold an atmosphere for any useful amount of time. Venus is 80% of the mass of the earth and might be livable in a future where the sun cools down. Venus is where humans will end up if they end up anywhere.

mission-to-mars-patch-vector.png

Shouldn't we be exploring Europa? Or some other heavenly body? What's the point of sending a manned mission to Mars? Look at what the kids are being brainwashed with.

When are they going to send some to the poles where things may be more interesting?

great IDEA!!!!! waste more $$$$$
you're a godamn genius

It's your hard earned tax dollars going to waste because there is/was no life on Mars. Are we supposed to find gold or other precious metals there? My choice is to build a luxurious space station with a view :04:. A luxury space hotel is scheduled to go up in 2021.

Typical of Progressives. Talking without having any facts at hand.

Almost everyone except for the authors of the quotes above knows that NASA is one of the government agencies which returns far more dollars to our economy than the dollars spent. Were it not for their research and development, our houses would be far emptier than they are today.

No One Should Think That Money Spent on NASA is a Waste
lenrosen4 Sep 16th, 2014 7 Comments
September 16, 2014 – One of my readers shared the following infographic called NASA Spinning Off Since 1962. It highlights the inventions, discoveries and economic return on investment resulting from NASA. For every dollar invested by the government the American economy and other countries economies have seen $7 to $14 in new revenue, all from spinoffs and licensing arrangements. That amounts to in $17.6 billion current NASA dollars spent to an economic boost worth as much as $246.4 billion annually.

Oh, and evenflow1969, we have permanent outposts for research at both poles.

Here's a NASA site where you can follow all the spinoffs which are benefiting our society. Their research into streamlining has gone into big tractor-trailer rigs saving millions of gallons of diesel fuel.

When are they going to send some to the poles where things may be more interesting?

you're a godamn genius

It's your hard earned tax dollars going to waste because there is/was no life on Mars. Are we supposed to find gold or other precious metals there? My choice is to build a luxurious space station with a view :04:. A luxury space hotel is scheduled to go up in 2021.

Almost everyone except for the authors of the quotes above knows that NASA is one of the government agencies which returns far more dollars to our economy than the dollars spent. Were it not for their research and development, our houses would be far emptier than they are today.

September 16, 2014 – One of my readers shared the following infographic called NASA Spinning Off Since 1962. It highlights the inventions, discoveries and economic return on investment resulting from NASA. For every dollar invested by the government the American economy and other countries economies have seen $7 to $14 in new revenue, all from spinoffs and licensing arrangements. That amounts to in $17.6 billion current NASA dollars spent to an economic boost worth as much as $246.4 billion annually.

Here's a NASA site where you can follow all the spinoffs which are benefiting our society. Their research into streamlining has gone into big tractor-trailer rigs saving millions of gallons of diesel fuel.
evidence of net NASA net gain?
JW telescope - 10 Billion--with a B
1 Mars rover - 2.5 Billion with a B
this is what I've been asking all along in my Mars thread/etc:
what is the $$$ net gain??

you're a godamn genius

That amounts to in $17.6 billion current NASA dollars spent to an economic boost worth as much as $246.4 billion annually.
??? bullshit
where are the specifics?

evidence of net NASA net gain?
JW telescope - 10 Billion--with a B
1 Mars rover - 2.5 Billion with a B
this is what I've been asking all along in my Mars thread/etc:
what is the $$$ net gain??

I provided a link to you and the benefits go back to the 1960s.

Here are just a few things. There is much more at the link I provided to you.
7867818_orig.jpg

democrats love to chant “Republicans hate education!” because it is one of the approved slogans they have been programmed with, but how hilariously ironic is it that so many of them can’t tell their ass from their elbow? Ignorant hypocrites.
Well when republicans side with the 5% corporate sellout scientists and claim NASA scientists are the liars you sort of make yourselves look stupid.

I don’t claim to know better than 96% of the scientific community, you do.

Does that make sense?

Banal partisanship derails almost every thread. Certain trolls seem to make it their mission in life.

Poland making a difference.

Poland will get the InSight mission`s data from Mars

30.11.2018 change 01.12.2018

• ©
Poland will get the InSight mission`s data from Mars
Zrzut%20ekranu%202018-12-1%20o%2000.13.15.png
InSight lander model presented at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Photo: EPA-EFE / EUGENE GARCIA November 26, 2018
The data obtained during the Mars InSight mission, which landed on Mars this week, will also be sent to Poland. The co-creator of the driving mechanism - Kret, designed to test the temperature of the interior of Mars, will have the priority with regard to their analyses.

On November 26, at approx. 20:40 CET, the InSight lander landed on the surface of Mars and sent the first image. The photograph shows the horizon line of the Red Planet. The image is not clear, because the camera lens still has a protective filter, shielding the camera from dust raised by twelve braking jet engines during landing, told PAP Łukasz Wiśniewski from the technology and science company Astronika. The company developed and built the soil penetrator mechanism in cooperation with the Space Research Centre of the Polish Academy of Sciences and other companies and research centres.

"InSight landed on the flat surface of Elysium Planitia. This is the best place for geological measurements" - says Wiśniewski.

Over the coming weeks, the InSight probe will search for the best place to penetrate the surface of Mars to a depth of 5 meters. This will be the task of Kret.

The goal of the experiment will be to measure the temperature below the surface of the planet. The "drill" will transport temperature sensors to the interior of the Red Planet.

According to Łukasz Wiśniewski, 5 m is a sufficient depth to study the interior of the planet. "Thermal fluctuations caused by the day-night cycle or seasonal temperature changes are no longer important below 3 m, so at this depth you can measure the actual temperature under the surface of Mars" - the engineer says.

He explains that the data collected by scientific instruments in three experiments will go first to the lead researcher from NASA. Then they will be made available to dozens of cooperating researchers. Among them is Dr. Jerzy Grygorczuk. As an employee of the Space Research Centre and one of the founders of Astronika, the Polish engineer has developed many space mechanisms, including the technology used during the Rosetta mission. He will have priority and exclusivity when it comes to data analysis, before the data are made public by NASA.

The flight to Mars took six months, the lander travelled over 400 million kilometres. The critical moment was landing.

"It was just over 6 minutes, but this was a dramatic moment for the lander. It had to enter the atmosphere at a very precise angle - so that it would not bounce off or burn. A lot of things had to be done flawlessly. That happened, InSight landed and the first emotions have subsided" - summarizes Łukasz Wiśniewski.

The experiment with the participation of Polish technology will start in January. The entire mission will end after one Martian year (2 Earth years).

Forum List

Back